The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-21-2017, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

I had a 12 fret 000 built by Halcyon. As an experiment I wanted padauk and Ed recommended a lutz top to go with the padauk. Turned out very nice. Loud and articulate. A unique voice...everyone who has tried is seems impressed with it. i think its a great combination.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:12 AM

Wink Gotta have both

mahogany and rosewood!

But if you're leaning rosewood, go with straight-grain Cocobolo for the extra bass thump.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:22 AM

Hat, I've owned two custom made 12 fret Triple O's, both with koa backs and sides. The first one was built for me by Wayne Henderson, but that guitar developed severe structural problems and I no longer own it. About a year and a half ago I took delivery on another koa 12 fret Triple O, this one built for me by a local Anchorage luthier named Bob Clark.

What I have found with rosewood 12 fret Triple O's is that they have a similar bass response to dreadnought guitars, with all the attendant stage miking problems. I honestly prefer them in mahogany, koa or walnut, because those tonewoods seem to provide a more balanced tonal response in that body size. Plus they're just easier to use onstage, as well.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion