The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-21-2017, 09:37 AM

I think you'll get a lot of recommendations. One of my favorites, and highly popular, are D addario EJ 16s. Or the EJ 19 Bluegrass gauge.
But I have recently strung my cheapie guitar with Elixir Lights Nano, since it needs a set of strings that maintain brightness longer. It's laminate top, and gets muddy really quick as a standard set of strings wears in. About a week and a half and it sounds ugly with uncoated strings.
I tried the Elixirs several years ago and did not like them, but either they've changed or my ears have (I vote the latter), and I'm seriously considering switching to them permanently.
I would suggest one of those two, as they are pretty much the standard in coated vs non coated strings, IME.

The only thing nescessary for evil to thrive is for good men to do nothing
Old 08-21-2017, 09:39 AM

BTW, what type of music are you into?

Old 08-21-2017, 09:53 AM

ALL ABOARD! One more ticket for a trip on the Yamaha bandwagon please.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2ru View Post
I'm about to buy my first guitar. I like the sound of Cort but yamaha df800 also seems to be one of the better ones I could afford. Any advice?
Cort Earth 70 is pretty good, I used to keep one in my parents house.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
... Ordered fg800 without trying it out....
which strings did you put on your FGs ?
I just put a set of Yamaha FG12 Light 80/20 Brass on mine. Initially the tone was somewhat bright, but balanced. That was 8 days ago and the strings have settled in since then. Not as bright now, the bottom end is more vocal now. I like them. Prior to this set I had Martin 80/20 lights on it. They were somewhat warmer than the FG12s. The stock strings that come on the 800 I think are something called Yamaha F80BST or something to that effect. I remember them always being a little boomy and not very bright at all. You have to decide for yourself though what you like. Everyone's tastes are different.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:24 PM

I just bought a Yamaha FG 830 as my "campfire" guitar. I found the action on it to be very high. I took it back to the shop The shop I bought it from and they did a set-up; said it was included in the price of the guitar. They lowered the bridge and adjusted the neck. Did a great job and it now plays beautifully...sounds great too!! So I'm definitely high on Yamaha!!
Old 08-23-2017, 06:17 AM

billyfamilyvide , I'm from Uk.

oldgeezer , I did put Elixir Nano ones on my friend's f310,when original ones broke when tuning-did sound much better but I have never tried any other ones.
About music.. I can't answer that to myself. I like bluesy jazzy stuff but I would like to learn zombies by cranberies as well so not sure under what cathegory to put myself in . Music like this brings me somewhere else : https://youtu.be/ObjOcVbQ7D0 (not sure what kid of music is classed as. And this one is the reason I wanted Cort,but surely it can be just very good guitaris plus and amazing mic .
Old 08-23-2017, 06:35 AM

Quote:
billyfamilyvide , I'm from Uk.

oldgeezer , I did put Elixir Nano ones on my friend's f310,when original ones broke when tuning-did sound much better but I have never tried any other ones.
About music.. I can't answer that to myself. I like bluesy jazzy stuff but I would like to learn zombies by cranberies as well so not sure under what cathegory to put myself in . Music like this brings me somewhere else : https://youtu.be/ObjOcVbQ7D0 (not sure what kid of music is classed as. And this one is the reason I wanted Cort,but surely it can be just very good guitaris plus and amazing mic .
Cool! I like that. I'd just call it acoustic guitar music, lol.
The reason I ask, to my ear that kind of music, the approach of the player, has a lot of power, or the feeling of power. Lots of different dynamics, strumming,etc.
For something like that I'd choose medium gauge strings, or a medium/light gauge, ie; medium bottom, light top.
MHO

Old 08-23-2017, 08:19 AM

So got my fg800. Sounds nice and all BUT:

What the hell is this and should I worry about it -i.e. ask for replacement. Touching sound hole you can feel the bump where this thing is. Too much humidity in storage or maybe water damage ?
https://ibb.co/etuHSQ

And this crack which is like 3-4mm long but again sort of whitish stuff going on -water again ? I wouldnt bother about the crack that much as its small and do think it's just from outside but whole water issue is bothering me. SOS!

https://ibb.co/b3raE5

https://ibb.co/dPYQgk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion