The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-19-2017, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

Default "Time After Time" by Cyndi Lauper & Rob Hyman (cover)

https://youtu.be/QhTklLugAlg

This is my cover of Cyndi Lauper and Rob Hyman's great song, "Time After Time." I wanted to do an acoustic version of this song, but kept thinking of Larry Carlton's huge chorus effect used on his Gibson ES-335 electric guitar when Cyndi Lauper recorded this in 1983. After some experimentation, I decided that my Guild F512 12-string worked best for me, since the 12-string has a natural chorus effect. I love this song!

As a contrast to the above video, consider my recording of "Time After Time" on Soundcloud from an album I did for my father's 82nd birthday in 2004, 13 years ago now. The electric guitar used is my Gibson ES-335. My Martin D-35 is also in there, but you really can't hear it until the end of the song. Of course, there's a whole bunch of other stuff in there, too!

I just recently posted "By The Time I Get To Phoenix" in Show & Tell, and the song is such a sad song, that I decided I needed a love song that offers some real hope. So "Time After Time" is it. I just recorded this today.

Thank you for listening!

- Glenn
Old 08-19-2017, 08:19 PM

Just beautiful Glenn.
Wonderful version.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 08-19-2017, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Just beautiful Glenn.
Wonderful version.
Thank you so much Bruce! How wonderful to get your reaction! Very much appreciated!

- Glenn
Old 08-19-2017, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

Very good, Glenn. I enjoyed that, although I enjoyed, "By the Time," also. That wasn't so sad. And this one is nicely done... and a wonderful tune.

I really liked Tuck & Patti's version of this tune years ago. I enjoy Patti's voice, but I love Tuck Andress' guitar. It's jazz, so it's very different, but just in case you wanna hear a very different take... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIVjCJ3jNDw
Old 08-19-2017, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Very good, Glenn. I enjoyed that, although I enjoyed, "By the Time," also. That wasn't so sad. And this one is nicely done... and a wonderful tune.

I really liked Tuck & Patti's version of this tune years ago. I enjoy Patti's voice, but I love Tuck Andress' guitar. It's jazz, so it's very different, but just in case you wanna hear a very different take... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIVjCJ3jNDw
Hi Kerbie,

Thanks for the comments! Much appreciated!

I am very much aware of the Tuck & Patti version of "Time After Time" as I have most if not all of their albums over the years. Tuck Andress is an amazing guitar player, of course.

Thanks for your thoughts!

- Glenn
Old 08-20-2017, 09:43 AM
AGF Sponsor

Glenn, I've always been aware of this song, but until this morning I never really listened to it. I now know why you love it - great, great tune! I really like both of your versions here. Your voice has not lost anything in the past 13 years! Great playing, great singing as always. I like the 12 string, it does have a natural chorus effect. Wonderful job with a wonderful song

And, thanks to Kerbie for sharing Tuck and Patti's version - I hadn't listened to them for years. What a great performance in that video!
Old 08-20-2017, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWSog View Post
Glenn, I've always been aware of this song, but until this morning I never really listened to it. I now know why you love it - great, great tune! I really like both of your versions here. Your voice has not lost anything in the past 13 years! Great playing, great singing as always. I like the 12 string, it does have a natural chorus effect. Wonderful job with a wonderful song

And, thanks to Kerbie for sharing Tuck and Patti's version - I hadn't listened to them for years. What a great performance in that video!
Hi Larry,

Thanks for listening to both of my versions of "Time After Time." I very much appreciate your taking that time. I'm very gratified that you liked what I did.

I'm also glad you liked the 12-string version. I find that after all these years of guitar playing that I still love the sound of a good 12-string; I know that not every guitar player cares for the 12-string sound.

I have always liked Tuck & Patti's version of "Time After Time." In fact, I heard them do this live on PBS one evening many years ago, maybe even 25-30 years ago, and at that time not only did it give me an appreciation for what Tuck Andress could do with a guitar, but it also made me realize that there was room for many interpretations of Cyndi Lauper's "Time After Time."

From an acoustic guitar standpoint, however, there are a couple of outstanding videos that I think might be worth watching (besides mine, of course. )

One is from Eva Cassidy. Her gorgeous voice and emotional commitment to every song she does has always struck and amazed me. I really have always loved her voice and her vocal control. She also does some wonderful and interesting things with her cover songs when she adapts them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWvPOJOYqGA

The other is from Boyce Ave and Megan & Jaclyn Davies. This video is done in a very nice setting (a studio??) and the sound and production are totally professional, very well done. I love the vocal harmonies and the effect of two guitars in this production.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpm_kITevv0

I watched these two videos carefully before figuring out what to do with my version, but I decided to keep my approach closer to Cyndi Lauper's approach, with the exception that it would be much simpler and done with one acoustic guitar. I did very little to change her arrangement except change the key for a male voice and adapt the arrangement for my 12-string. You'll note that both above videos changed Cyndi Lauper's arrangement quite a bit. I like them both a great deal, but I wanted to stay closer to the original arrangement.

Thanks for your interest, Larry!

- Glenn
Old 08-20-2017, 11:23 AM

Awesome. Great song, beautiful cover. You inspired me to learn Vincent with your recent cover/tutorial (which btw was well received when I played it at an open mic). Now I'm thinking about going back to this song. My wife asked me to learn the Norah Jones acoustic version a couple of years ago, but I couldn't find a video where I could see what the guitarist was doing (never mind that I can't sing it the way you or Norah or Cindi or these other folks can). Your two acoustic models are similar to Norah's, and now your arrangement looks quite comfortable alongside them. Fantastic.

Dubi
Old 08-20-2017, 11:36 AM

Even Miles Davis covered that song.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 08-20-2017, 11:46 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Larry,

Thanks for listening to both of my versions of "Time After Time." I very much appreciate your taking that time. I'm very gratified that you liked what I did.

I'm also glad you liked the 12-string version. I find that after all these years of guitar playing that I still love the sound of a good 12-string; I know that not every guitar player cares for the 12-string sound.

I have always liked Tuck & Patti's version of "Time After Time." In fact, I heard them do this live on PBS one evening many years ago, maybe even 25-30 years ago, and at that time not only did it give me an appreciation for what Tuck Andress could do with a guitar, but it also made me realize that there was room for many interpretations of Cyndi Lauper's "Time After Time."

From an acoustic guitar standpoint, however, there are a couple of outstanding videos that I think might be worth watching (besides mine, of course. )

One is from Eva Cassidy. Her gorgeous voice and emotional commitment to every song she does has always struck and amazed me. I really have always loved her voice and her vocal control. She also does some wonderful and interesting things with her cover songs when she adapts them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWvPOJOYqGA

The other is from Boyce Ave and Megan & Jaclyn Davies. This video is done in a very nice setting (a studio??) and the sound and production are totally professional, very well done. I love the vocal harmonies and the effect of two guitars in this production.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpm_kITevv0

I watched these two videos carefully before figuring out what to do with my version, but I decided to keep my approach closer to Cyndi Lauper's approach, with the exception that it would be much simpler and done with one acoustic guitar. I did very little to change her arrangement except change the key for a male voice and adapt the arrangement for my 12-string. You'll note that both above videos changed Cyndi Lauper's arrangement quite a bit. I like them both a great deal, but I wanted to stay closer to the original arrangement.

Thanks for your interest, Larry!

- Glenn
Thanks for sharing these videos Glenn. I'm not just blowing smoke when I tell you that I far prefer your version to either of these. Again, very nice job!
Old 08-20-2017, 11:54 AM

That was a beautiful version Glenn. Enjoyed it a lot. Thank you,
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 08-20-2017, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ9RW View Post
Awesome. Great song, beautiful cover. You inspired me to learn Vincent with your recent cover/tutorial (which btw was well received when I played it at an open mic). Now I'm thinking about going back to this song. My wife asked me to learn the Norah Jones acoustic version a couple of years ago, but I couldn't find a video where I could see what the guitarist was doing (never mind that I can't sing it the way you or Norah or Cindi or these other folks can). Your two acoustic models are similar to Norah's, and now your arrangement looks quite comfortable alongside them. Fantastic.

Dubi
Hi Dubi,

How nice of you to listen and comment here -- thank you!

First, I am extremely gratified to learn that you learned "Vincent" because of the influence of my video and tutorial. That is so rewarding to read here! Thank you for letting me know!

Regarding Norah Jones's version of "Time After Time", here is a video of her recording, but as you have noted, this is not live and you can't see what she is doing. She sounds great, as usual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZdx49-Rxz0

However, her arrangement sounds like an absolute dead-on copy of the arrangement from Eva Cassidy. Norah Jones even emulates Eva Cassidy's singing style, phrasing, and vocal approach. I don't know how accurate this arrangement is, but this is supposed to be Eva Cassidy's approach: https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/e/e...e_ver2_crd.htm

Of course, as a male, you're going to have to transpose that arrangement to sing it. I did the same thing with Cyndi Lauper's arrangement so that I could sing it. I transposed the song to Em from the original Dm and then put the capo on fret 4.

A good thing about the use of the capo 4 approach is that for some singers, they might prefer the capo somewhere else, either higher or lower, and that is so easy to change without changing any of the chord shapes of the song.

It occurs to me that it would not be difficult to make an instructional video on how I am playing "Time After Time."

Would you be interested in my doing that? Let me know!

Thanks,
Glenn
Old 08-20-2017, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahitijack View Post
Even Miles Davis covered that song.
Yes, Miles Davis was an early adopter of this song! Among jazz enthusiasts, it's a classic.

- Glenn
Old 08-20-2017, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWSog View Post
Thanks for sharing these videos Glenn. I'm not just blowing smoke when I tell you that I far prefer your version to either of these. Again, very nice job!
Well, holy cow, Larry! Thank you very much for the compliment! How nice of you!

- Glenn
Old 08-20-2017, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty bradbury View Post
That was a beautiful version Glenn. Enjoyed it a lot. Thank you,
Hi Marty,

Thank you for listening and commenting! I'm so glad you liked this! It's terrific to hear from you on this Sunday morning!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell