The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-18-2017, 11:32 AM

A stunning guitar

A marvelous story of a customer/builder relationship that goes far beyond ordinary customer service.

Thanks much for sharing in detail.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:15 PM

We have come to expect such service from Emerald, but the condition of the box after shipping would have me so worried, CF or not.
Glad the boxes did the job and nothing was damaged.
Congrats, and thanks for sharing your story.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:13 PM

A Chimaera will be my next guitar purchase. All of my soccer refereeing money (by agreement with Mrs. bsman, that is my discretionary guitar fund!) is going toward it -- should be able to order after this HS season (Dec-Mar in NorCal).

I am interested in the OP's observation: "It was a beautiful guitar, very lightweight and well-balanced especially since Alistair had just began using the new Gotoh Stealth tuning machines at only 11.4g each. Although I loved the tone and playability of the guitar, because of the hollow necks and perhaps a result of my own barefinger playing style, in my hands the guitar produced an unusual "thwack" sound under strumming (like the sound of a snapped heavy rubber band) that really bugged me. I shared this with Alistair and perhaps because some other Chimaera owners were experiencing something similar (Steve didn't, though being a player who uses picks, maybe this is why it wasn't noticeable to him), since he was in the process of changing the neck approach on all Emerald guitars to solid necks with truss rods, Alistair offered to allow me to return it and he would build me a new one."

I noticed something similar when I got my 2010 X7 (again - unreinforced neck), but found that when I use either medium or heavy strings, the problem disappeared. It only arises when I try and use light-weight strings on it.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:42 PM

The most beautiful sapwood I've ever seen!
The center looks like the lidless Eye of Sauron,
the flames of Mount Doom,
and turn it upside down
what the?!?!

Last edited by Song; 07-08-2019 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:56 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song View Post
The most beautiful sapwood I've ever seen!
The center looks like the lidless Eye of Sauron,
the flames of Mount Doom,
and turn it upside down
what the?!?!
Haha Song, I love what you're seeing and the way you think. Cool!
Old 08-18-2017, 08:13 PM

The "eyes" things seems to be the design theme of late, coincidental or not. these really render the guitars some life with addition of these "windows" of the spirit.

Sorry Tom, you meant the first two chimaera were back to Emerald? Pardon me if I didn't get you.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:18 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Koh View Post
The "eyes" things seems to be the design theme of late, coincidental or not. these really render the guitars some life with addition of these "windows" of the spirit.

Sorry Tom, you meant the first two chimaera were back to Emerald? Pardon me if I didn't get you.
That's right, Jimmy.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:27 PM

Congratulations, Tom. It is a beautiful guitar.
Barb
Old 08-19-2017, 12:11 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Congrats, Tom, use it in good health. .

And BTW, I love that you posted an NGD in General section as well.
Thanks Ted. I posted about it in the General forum as well because I thought the strictly wood players might appreciate seeing a nice piece of coco. Otherwise, I wouldn't have. That said, your post causes me to wonder if we CF owners should also be posting a brief NGD thread about any CF guitar in the General section for the benefit of players who may otherwise be unaware of the virtues and quality of CF. In so doing, I'd hope that it wouldn't encourage the cheap-shot naysayers.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:58 PM

Nice one Tom ! Congratulations.

YES of course you were perfectly correct to post it in the general section, it is an acoustic guitar isn't it ?
This isn't the Wooden Guitar Forum.

Let the ignorati post what they like,
I don't think any player with half a brain could be anything other than curious about how they feel and how they sound.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:06 PM

I would second posting in the general room too. Those backwards, hide-bound wooden folks have to see that CF guitars are here to stay.
Old 08-19-2017, 03:12 PM
Guest 928

I sort of like it the way it is. It would be nice to spread the word, but then again I would not want to open up this CF forum to all new wooden instruments just because they are guitars.
Old 08-19-2017, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I would second posting in the general room too. Those backwards, hide-bound wooden folks have to see that CF guitars are here to stay.
Nothing in that statement that would incite.
Old 08-19-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Thanks Ted. I posted about it in the General forum as well because I thought the strictly wood players might appreciate seeing a nice piece of coco. Otherwise, I wouldn't have. That said, your post causes me to wonder if we CF owners should also be posting a brief NGD thread about any CF guitar in the General section for the benefit of players who may otherwise be unaware of the virtues and quality of CF. In so doing, I'd hope that it wouldn't encourage the cheap-shot naysayers.
Honestly, I was surprised the mods didn't move it, but pleasantly so. Truth is I have at least a hundred clients who've bought CF guitars who never come here, so it's nice to see a CF thread in the General section. Hopefully others will do the same and post their NGD threads in both sections.

As to the potential for cheap shots, that's a possibility with any guitar, that's what we have mods for.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

Seems like they moved the last one if my memory serves me right. Not sure why....we talk about wood guitars in the CF forums.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber