The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-17-2017, 02:03 PM

Default Anyone use the GFS end pin pream and electret mic?

Hi,
I have a PR 715-12 twelve string Epiphone and I want to be able to take my guitar and an acoustic amp to play very small, intimate settings(small churches, mostly) where a lot of volume is not required; just enough to be able to blend my vocals and guitar together so both can be plainly heard at a comfortable level.
I am strapped for money and am considering this preamp/mic combo.
http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-EAP-...ne_p_6430.html

Has anyone had any experience with this? I have used GFS pickups in my electrics, and love them.
I have also used and owned lower end guitars(Washburn, Takamine, Yamaha) which basically used their own preamps/pickups, which i think are pretty much Artec, which is most likely what these are, and they worked well for me. So I'm pretty sure this will do what I want with decent sound quality.
But I've never used an electret condensor, only ust.
I am wondering if anyone here is familiar with this setup, and can give impressions.
If not I'll just give it a go, it is quite inexpensive.
Thanks in advance for any insight you might have.

The only thing nescessary for evil to thrive is for good men to do nothing
Old 08-17-2017, 03:23 PM

First of all, I haven't used that particular product. I have however had a few different internal mics in my guitar. Some mics have some internal filters to control feedback and such. I am going to assume because of the price that this is just a straight up mic powered by a battery. You will have to realize that micing the inside of your guitar will create some additional problems. You will need good EQ on an amp or a preamp pedal. You are really micing the inside of your guitar and that's not really the best sound but it should work in quiet low volume settings. It can be notorious for that down the hallway effect if your are not careful. Good luck.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 08-17-2017, 03:38 PM

My buddy has an all 'hog Guild with a GFS UST and electret Mic with a blender preamp. Running just the mic has a good sound, but Is more prone to feedback. In his system, the mic is mounted on the bottom side of the barn door preamp.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:11 PM

Thanks, gentlemen.
I'm not too concerned about feedback, since it will be used in quiet settings, in solo situations where high volume and other instruments are few. I simply want to be able to blend my vox/guitar and add a bit of reverb to fatten them up a bit.
Much appreciated.

Old 08-18-2017, 04:21 PM

I placed the order this evening. When it gets here and I have time to install, I'll update and give my impressions.
Might do an install and demo video for Youtube as well.
If I have problems I'll either switch to a ust, or get their blender preamp and blend both.
Thanks for the advice, guys.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification