The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-16-2017, 07:05 PM

I read stuff and I tried doing stuff.

As other have said, you don't buy sharp tools. You make tools sharp.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:51 PM

I had the good fortune to learn from my father and a few other older men. One was a house jack in New England - he could fix very nearly anything on an old house, and often did so using hand tools only.

Collectively, they taught technique, how to work safely, and how to sharpen. "Sharp tools are things of beauty, and dull tools are the devil's own teeth" was how the lesson went.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:55 AM

On the crappiest broken tools I learned. That, and a lot of pain. It takes time.

I saw a German propaganda trade film once, just a few seconds of it, on the proper way to use a metal file. When it came time to cut and threat hundreds of feet of 1" steel pipe for a gas pipe job, I adopted the posture, grip, and stroke observed on the film. And taught the same to others. It remains the most effective manner to safely file the end of a pipe to proper smoothness for the threading die.

Maybe copy the movements of someone doing it right until it happens naturally with you? Hand tools are all about feel. The tool will transmit loads of information about what is happening on the business end. Sound is important as well. I can tell from the next room if someone is using a tool incorrectly - sometimes.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
I helped make a lot of soap box derby cars in the 90's for friend's kids. Unlike yours made with hand tools, the ones I helped with were made with a bandsaw, router, drill press etc. Here's a Soap Box Derby Car secret: The shape means nothing! It's all in the wheels
Yep. There were always a few cars pulled out because of suspected tampering with the wheels to make them perform better -- a big violation of the rules.

Not sure about today, but 50+ years ago, everyone had to use the same wheels -- sold by the local Chevrolet dealer who sponsored the Derby. But reworking the bearings was not unheard of. There were strict rules on weight, length height, etc. It was one of those things I did with my dad that is particularly memorable. In fact, supposedly adults could only give directions. The kid had to do the work. But, it was pretty clear some of the fiber glass molded cars were built with some serious technology beyond that of some 13 year old. My first one was wood, masonite and some tape and vinyl for the seams and curves. Second year, I did use some fiberglass over mesh for the top.

I did have a Craftman saber saw that was particularly useful. In any event, it was a lot of fun and I still use what I learned around the house including duct tape tricks.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
Yep. There were always a few cars pulled out because of suspected tampering with the wheels to make them perform better -- a big violation of the rules.

Not sure about today, but 50+ years ago, everyone had to use the same wheels -- sold by the local Chevrolet dealer who sponsored the Derby. But reworking the bearings was not unheard of. There were strict rules on weight, length height, etc. It was one of those things I did with my dad that is particularly memorable. In fact, supposedly adults could only give directions. The kid had to do the work. But, it was pretty clear some of the fiber glass molded cars were built with some serious technology beyond that of some 13 year old. My first one was wood, masonite and some tape and vinyl for the seams and curves. Second year, I did use some fiberglass over mesh for the top.

I did have a Craftman saber saw that was particularly useful. In any event, it was a lot of fun and I still use what I learned around the house including duct tape tricks.

The only thing we ever did to wheels was turn them so they were perfectly round (crowning them was against the rules as I understood it) and polishing the nails that served as axles. After that, it was a matter of getting all four wheels parallel so it would go down the track straight.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
The only thing we ever did to wheels was turn them so they were perfectly round (crowning them was against the rules as I understood it) and polishing the nails that served as axles. After that, it was a matter of getting all four wheels parallel so it would go down the track straight.
Back in the 50/60s, the axles, wheels and steering wheel were available at the Chevy dealer. Everyone had to use the same ones. The axles ran from right wheel to left and were quite beefy/sturdy. I bet the whole package would cost several hundred dollars nowadays.

But officials would find wheels with reworked bearings. It was important to get the axles aligned and get the weight right at the maximum with driver. Then, dads had to teach the kids to keep it in a straight line. It was really a big deal, especially since you could win a sizable scholarship. Never made it, but to go to Akron, Ohio for the finals was really big.

After the races, we'd keep the cars. I used to go down hills so fast that I'd pass real autos. The look on the drivers face was worth it. It was fun until I rolled it and darn near broke my neck, not to mention the guy sitting on the back.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:23 PM

One mistake at a time...

....................................... ...well, sometimes maybe two mistakes at the same time.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Back in the 50/60s, the axles, wheels and steering wheel were available at the Chevy dealer. Everyone had to use the same ones. The axles ran from right wheel to left and were quite beefy/sturdy. I bet the whole package would cost several hundred dollars nowadays.

But officials would find wheels with reworked bearings. It was important to get the axles aligned and get the weight right at the maximum with driver. Then, dads had to teach the kids to keep it in a straight line. It was really a big deal, especially since you could win a sizable scholarship. Never made it, but to go to Akron, Ohio for the finals was really big.

After the races, we'd keep the cars. I used to go down hills so fast that I'd pass real autos. The look on the drivers face was worth it. It was fun until I rolled it and darn near broke my neck, not to mention the guy sitting on the back.
I just had the realization that we're talking about different things. When I read soap box derby, I was thinking pinewood derby. Completely different scale!
Old 08-19-2017, 09:59 PM

I apprenticed as a carpenter on custom homes when I left the military and was involved in residential and commercial construction most of my working life. I also took multiple classes from Charles Fox a few years back. Wow, he has a jig for just about everything. Along with mastering tools learning how to work with different species of woods and understanding grain helps me in all my woodworking projects and of course practice, practice, practice.....

Last edited by SMan; 08-20-2017 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
I just had the realization that we're talking about different things. When I read soap box derby, I was thinking pinewood derby. Completely different scale!
I was wondering when you said nails for axles. But, I did the Pinewood Derby too. Yeah the soap box cars could weigh up to 250 pounds with driver. Enjoyed the discussion anyway.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I was wondering when you said nails for axles. But, I did the Pinewood Derby too. Yeah the soap box cars could weigh up to 250 pounds with driver. Enjoyed the discussion anyway.
I enjoyed it too. When I was a kid, soapbox derby always looked cool, but for some reason (probably funding) I never got into it. Instead, my childhood friend and I built cobbled together cars with questionable steering an NO brakes. As I think back on it, I wonder how I survived.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair