The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-16-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
I resent your accusation, Steve. I don't recall what Rainsong called it, but the N1 neck is most definitely not C shape, and neither is the neck on the x20 I have access to, a guitar that was built in March of 2017. They are U, or more accurately D shape, which is of course a lower profile U. Here's a basic chart to illustrate the difference.

Ted, you have my apology that comment was probably out of line but I meant it as a joke. I just get frustrated that there seems to be a hesitancy to agree on the uniqueness of the Rainsong neck. Even in the above you pull back from a U to a D, another poster sited Emerald calling their profile a C, which I think it is. Rainsong in their description called the N2, a modified U, not me. I asked in the wood section if anyone can name a builder that uses a U profile on a acoustic guitar I never get another example.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 08-16-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Ok, I have my '02 Taylor 814c, '08 CA Cargo and '17 Emerald Chimaera 6/12 before me right now. Looking closely at them while considering the reference neck images, I would say they are all C shape. However, I have just measured the depth of each at the 7th fret from the edge of the fretboard to the round of the back of the neck with the Cargo being 3/4", the Taylor being 13/16" and the Emerald 6-string neck being 3/4" and the 12-string neck being 7/8". So my guess that my Taylor sits in the middle turns out to be exactly right. This said, although the Cargo neck and 6-neck of the Chimaera measure the same depth, the Cargo does feel ever so slightly flatter across the back, even if it's not. So therefore, although I said they are all C so far as I can tell, there is likely a very slight builder-specific variation. Not scientific, but there you have it.
I can't comment on the Chimaera, but your older Taylor actually has a slightly different carve than current ones, and none of the current Cargos we have here have a flat spot on the back of the neck, so your pre Peavey Cargo might be different as well. I'll have to check my 2009 Cargo when I get home.

As to your measurements, not sure what you used or how you measured, but using a caliper from the center of the fretboard to the center of the back of the neck, between the 6th and 7th fret, the x20 built this year has a depth of 0.86 inches, the current 814ce is also 0.86, and the new Cargo is 0.82 at the same spot. I measure several new Rainsongs and they are 0.89, the current CA Legacy is 0.86, and the OX RAW is only 0.80. All the CA's in the store can be described as a true C shape, BTW

And no, the x20 we have here was not special ordered with a custom neck.

BTW, knowing the above specs is fine, but they can be misleading because of the different shapes and tapers. Also, in my experience the shape and size of the guitars body can greatly affect the feel of the neck, so putting the neck from one guitar on another may not yield the desired results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
Ted, you have my apology that comment was probably out of line but I meant it as a joke. I just get frustrated that there seems to be a hesitancy to agree on the uniqueness of the Rainsong neck. Even in the above you pull back from a U to a D, another poster sited Emerald calling their profile a C, which I think it is. Rainsong in their description called the N2, a modified U, not me. I asked in the wood section if anyone can name a builder that uses a U profile on a acoustic guitar I never get another example.
No worries, Steve. As to U vs D, they are the same shape only one is shallower. The older N1 shape could be called a D, while the new N2 would best be described as a U.

Last edited by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales; 08-17-2017 at 08:26 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-16-2017, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

I have called the X20 a flat C neck, but looking at Ted's post, I think it is closer to the D shape. To address the OP's original question, and this means nothing but that we all have different preferences, I own a RS WS H-1000N2, it got 90% of the play time until the X20 and X7 came along, now I don't play the WS at all. I much prefer the X20 or X7. Like I said, that's me. I am not a finger style player, I am a strummer/picker. I hope you get a chance to play an Emerald before making up your mind....you may love it, or you may not like it as much as the RS. Either way...good luck!
Old 08-16-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
Maybe Ted's used X20 has a modified neck. Probably easy to find out. My X20 has the standard neck and it feels pretty comfortable.

I would call the X20 neck a C or D neck so I think my anecdotal opinion in agreement with what Emerald has on their website. Going further than the website, I think it feels a little stiffer than the wood guitars I have sitting around. It also feels a little stiffer than my Lucky 13 (also with a standard neck). I think it is shaped a little different but just as comfortable as the Taylor necks I used to play on.

My only beef with the neck is that I have to bring talcum powder when I play outside else I run the risk of putting blisters on my fretting hand if I start sweating. I don't think I ever had that problem with the wood guitar I used to play out and about and it's not as bad for the Lucky 13 either. Doesn't bother me enough to do more than gripe here though.
My sweaty fretting hand use to stick to necks that had a gloss finish and I would have to use talcum powder too. When I ordered my X7 & X20 I requested they have satin finish necks.

2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars

Last edited by 121; 08-16-2017 at 05:49 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121 View Post
My sweaty fretting hand use to stick to necks that had a gloss finish and I would have to use talcum powder too. When I ordered my X7 & X20 I requested they have satin finish necks.

That color is awesome!
Old 08-16-2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Not that it matters to me because I like the standard Emerald neck just fine, but I'm curious as to what a $500 upcharge encompasses...just shape, or also scale or width? It seems to me that each aspect should rightfully affect the cost.
Correct! Emerald's website shows $350 cost for a custom scale length, and I assume the custom neck shape is a similar cost (it was for me, but an earlier post said they were quoted $500, so assumption may not be correct). Exactly as you say, each custom mod has a separate cost. Info on Emerald's website (though it does not specify neck shape cost there...): http://emeraldguitars.com/custom-gui...v=7516fd43adaa
Old 08-17-2017, 05:11 AM
Charter Member

While I hope no on-line friendships were harmed in this discussion, this has brought forth much good information for my detail oriented brain. I especially appreciate the pictures and measurements of the neck shapes. And thanks Ted, those measurements were especially useful (I will assume you slipped a decimal point, but no worries).

And yes, I am very uncomfortable ordering a guitar I have not touched, but I am now am 99% sure an Emerald X20 is in my future. Thanks, AGF.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaan View Post
That color is awesome!
Thank you
Amber is my favorite of the colors that Emerald Guitars offers, Red or Green would be my second choice.

I noticed in an earlier post you mentioned you have a touch of arthritis and big hands and thin necks don't work well for you.
I do not have arthritis yet but have big hands (depending on the manufacturer, even extra large gloves are often too small) and
the standard shallow C profile neck of the X20 is very comfortable for me.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars

Last edited by 121; 08-17-2017 at 05:57 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Ordered X20 Opus...now the wait begins.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:55 AM

Wonderful! If you didn't ask for any customization, it should arrive fairly quickly.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:46 AM
Guest 928

Ted, and others, thank you for the neck-shape models and discussion.. I've come to like the N2 but have yet to determine exactly what to call it--is it a U? Also, the U looks thicker than some of the other models, more like an inch (which is what I measured)--is this correct?
Old 08-17-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeway View Post
..And thanks Ted, those measurements were especially useful (I will assume you slipped a decimal point, but no worries)..
Yes indeed, corrected, and you're welcome.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
My X20-12 Artisan was recently ordered and has not been started yet. Maybe I should think about the satin neck instead of glossy. I do like the hand feel of non-glossy necks, but they all eventually polish up with play wear.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Talcum powder is cheap enough, but thanks for this idea and next time I order...

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 08-17-2017, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeway View Post
Ordered X20 Opus...now the wait begins.
Congratulations! Shouldn't be much of a wait... but, many of us understand that angst that starts at "I'll take it!" and doesn't end until you open the box and make that first strum. The X20 is a great guitar - we'll be looking for updates as you wait.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber