The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-14-2017, 06:41 PM

Yes... I studied classical for two years. If nothing else, but possibly most importantly it will teach you discipline.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:18 PM

I would say no! don't go there! (tongue in cheek) - I started with group classical lessons 4 years ago because I wanted a good grounding in the basics - that was then, this is now, and I pretty much play all classical.... (though I would say that many "tunes" translate directly from the classical to the steel string)
Old 08-14-2017, 07:43 PM

Absolutely. Classical guitar training fills in the blanks that sometimes get left out in general acoustic playing. I have always believed it best to be a well rounded player unless you're dedicated to a specific style for a specific reason. While techniques vary, it's better to have more tools in your tool box than less (IMO).
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 08-15-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Mac View Post
Depends on your goals. In most cases, I would advise against it.
Can you give more details?
Old 08-15-2017, 09:35 AM

It sure helped me out, gave me a solid foundation in right-hand technique, which I apply all the time when playing my steel string acoustics
Old 08-15-2017, 09:39 AM

I have just enough classical training to be dangerous and I will admit that it improves your discipline, technique, and overall musicality. My sense of dynamics and control improved and my ability to somewhat comprehend standard notation helped me a mature quite a bit. While I don't have a passion for classical, it is pretty fun to play.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 08-15-2017, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamburmese View Post
I would say no! don't go there! (tongue in cheek) - I started with group classical lessons 4 years ago because I wanted a good grounding in the basics - that was then, this is now, and I pretty much play all classical.... (though I would say that many "tunes" translate directly from the classical to the steel string)
I guess no a bad thing since you have found your path to go.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:41 AM

The best guitar players don't just play the notes, they also control the silences between the notes. Properly taught, learned and applied, the Segovia Method will do that for you. I think it's a huge plus. But then again, I've advocated that very thing in every post since I changed my signature a couple of years ago.
Garcia #2 classical
Cordoba C10 Luthier Series
Tacoma Olympia OB3CE acoustic bass

"I don't care what style you want to play. If you want to master good guitar tone, master preparation, attack and release first." ~ Paul Guma
Old 08-16-2017, 02:33 PM

In my opinion, OF COURSE it is.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:47 PM
Guest3224

IMO, the best training for a guitarist is learning drums. Counter intuitive, but rhythm/phrasing is everything.

Classical guitar will help with a lot of techniques, though.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:09 PM

any training is good whether it is pop, blues, classical, etc. and, doesn't matter if acoustic or electric.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 08-16-2017, 03:18 PM

Yup!

Posture, left-hand technique, keyboard knowledge and fingerstyle!
Old 08-17-2017, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aping Leo View Post
Yes... I studied classical for two years. If nothing else, but possibly most importantly it will teach you discipline.
How many hours do you practice daily?
Old 08-17-2017, 10:57 PM

I won't say its absolutely necessary, but when I got my minor in music the only guitar classes I took were classical.

Could read standard notation back then (used to be able to sight read piano and saxophone, and I knew both clefs).

But after a while of not doing it, and using shortcuts like TAB, "official" songbooks with chords and my ear to figure out what the guitar was doing I pretty much lost the ability to read music. I can get it back if I refamiliarize myself with the notes.

But I've been complemented on my right hand fingerpicking technique (not on classical pieces). I use the PIMA method, with the thumb plucking E, A and D, the index of G, middle on B and ring on high E.

Of course I'll modify that from time to time. Even will play bass with thumb and 2 or 3 fingers to get arpeggio runs on a certain chord.

But I play my classical at least daily. Usually pick it up and screw around with the main passage of Layenda. And some other finger picked stuff that sounds better on nylon than on steel.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:03 PM
Charter Member

I've always been intrigued by the classical style and envied the skills. I think its easier for a classically trained guitarist to learn to play steel, than the other way around. There's that whole different way of holding a guitar, etc. More discipline, theory involved as well it would appear.

Also I finally found a classical player that plays something many of us can relate to

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion