The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-11-2017, 05:39 AM

Default Annoying high frequency playing top E

Does anyone else have a problem with an annoying frequency somehow generating above a plucked high E-string? I am wondering what causes it.
Most of my guitars have it which makes me think it is normal. With some guitars it blends in well with the overall sound, whereas others are quite dissonant.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:59 AM

Depending on how high in pitch it is it could be a longitudinal compression wave in the string. It should diminish if you pluck the string further from the bridge, going nearly to nothing when you pluck at the 12th fret.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:33 AM

I've heard twisted strings can generate this phantom sound too.... sounds kinda like a phaser.

OR it could be a bad top nut witness point too.

I kinda doubt parasitic harmonics... but if you hear it on multiple guitars that you own, I'd check the way you are winding the strings on your capstains.....

Last edited by Kerbie; 08-27-2017 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Rule #1
Old 08-26-2017, 11:10 PM

I have found something that seems relevant to this problem. I came across a Luthier video on Youtube and he explained something that sounds like the problem I have. Very interesting. I've posted a link to the video. The topic in question enters the conversation 9 minutes into the video.

https://youtu.be/Gg-0iDXx4jc

Here is the link. The title of the youtube video is called, Discussion on Compensated Saddles
Old 08-27-2017, 07:18 PM

Check the contact surface at the saddle under that string. I recently found that a flat area under an unwound string was causing a similar issue. I rounded the saddle and problem solved.

Rb

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair