The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-07-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
ah, she has one - but we hate all that sticking to the windscreen, and dangling cables. I always have my built -in Satnav on - if only to remind this old shuffler where he is going!
Mmmmm a bit like texting while driving really, I hate seeing all those people with their bloody great TV screens in the middle of their windscreens .

I have mine on the seat beside me, on audio only, when I am near my target destination.
Old 08-12-2017, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Jane got an e-mail from the Mini sales guy.

He'd found one that met all her specs, and got it shipped down, but it was a little high on price. (of course).

He said, "at least you drive it and see if it suits, and if too high - I'll keep looking fr a cheaper one".

Jane couldn't think about it until we'd had the verdict at hospital on Friday morning. As the news was good we decided to go over to see the car, but we stopped off to buy a Parker's guide (shows prices etc).
Arrived, car was plated ready to go.

She liked it

Down to the money. We did the dance - trade is better than I thought possible. We steeled for £350 over Jane's budget - and no service costs for three years!
A good salesman!

We pick it up next Friday.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:23 PM

Sounds like this has been a pretty good day for you mate. About time, you and Jane deserve it.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:16 PM

Thumbs up

That's great to hear, Andy! Glad you finally found a decent salesman and your wife got the car she wants
Old 08-14-2017, 05:49 AM

Things work out when you know what you want. Those Coopers are cool!
Old 08-14-2017, 07:51 AM

I think you finally figured it out.

Used markets are very different than new. While there is a huge variety theoretically available - the reality is that they can only sell you what they can find in an auction or what they have. They buy cars at auction based on educated guess of what they think people will want.

The way you deal with this is to do what you did. Find a dealer (Often a mom/pop used car only sort of place - but not always) who will write down what you want and then go find one at the auto auction when it comes up. Why talk with the owner of a small lot? Well - that fellow has to sell to eat and all his money is tied up on the lot. He has skin in the game. Finding the car you are asking for is an easy sale for him - assuming you don't flake out and buy from somebody else.

The up side for them is that often - unless your request is really weird - there will be somebody else asking for the same thing not long after. And they can get a pretty good feeling for whats going on in the market.

On why its so hard now? Everybody forgets what happened 8 years ago.... The entire car industry collapsed worldwide. Nobody could get financing even if they had great credit. Seasoned car salesmen were put on the street. Many small family owned lots closed. And... All the kids that *would* have cut their teeth selling cars who would now be experienced with the game either got laid off or never got hired - so the folks they have are either the old codger survivors or the new kids who are useless. To make matters worse - the same thing happened across the entire economy.... So if you are a seasoned veteran salesman who delivers - every other industry is courting you.

Glad to hear you found what you were looking for.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:03 PM

Default From Used Cars the Movie

The post reminded me of the movie USED CARS

Here is a great scene from the movie.
Kurt Russel at his comedic best.

The entire movie is available on You Tube.

The opening sequence is a classic
1993 Yair - Alvarez DY99A
2001 Yairi-Alvarez DY-91 SOLD!
2002 Taylor Stock 810 Ltd.
2003 Taylor 855e
2003 Taylor 814ce Fall Ltd
2003 Tradition Jerry Reid Sig. Telecaster
200? Esteban American Legacy (New Owner Lake Chautauqua Lutheran Center)
Old 08-16-2017, 09:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
cars designed for women.
I've never heard that phrase before. What does it mean?
Old 08-16-2017, 09:33 PM

The trick is, I think anyway, is to choose a car basically all the dealers have. Then it just comes down to price. Do that on the phone.

I had a dealer say 'I'm not going to give you a price, you'll just call another dealer with it, and try to beat it there".

I said; "that is EXACTLY what I'm going to do. But I will call you back with their price. Or you can be out of the game, either way no problem"

No reason to get upset. He gave me a price, someone went lower, I called him back, he went lower I bought (leased actually) from him.

Also, I made sure to paint a picture (in a friendly way) of ways he could sour the deal. I said "I will come in at your convenience, but I want the paperwork ready, and the car ready as I walk in. No last minute wheel and deal". He did it. I walked in and was out in less than 45 minutes.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogducker View Post
There must be some but I have never encountered a dissatisfied SATURN owner. Maybe if they would have made more dealers but then again, they joined PONTIAC, OLDSMOBILE, PLYMOUTH, STUDEBAKER (My favorite, boy, that dates me), CHECKER etc.

Whatever you do, DO NOT get a RENAULT! The French are great at food and wine but they really suck at making cars------as a former Renault Dauphine owner, I gag even typing the confession!

Fog
Dauphines were discontinued about 50 years ago. Things have changed a bit since.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedray View Post
I enjoy buying cars and I prefer to do it with "boots on the ground." The internet pix and descriptions are a good start, but eventually I want to touch. It doesn't take long to figure out what dealers/salesmen know what they're doing and which ones don't, so I treat it like the game it is and I take as long as it takes to get happy with a particular car. It is time consuming though, and I wish the part after 'I'll take it,' could get done a lot faster.
I enjoy buying cars also. But it takes a certain discipline, a commitment to research, solid negotiating skills, and willingness to spend the time.

I also enjoy test driving vehicles of interest, but you've got to do this with a firm constitution not to get roped into ANYTHING that you aren't eager and willing to get roped into. State your objectives from the get go and stick to it. Set a timeline and drive away when you're done with test driving.

Fortunately, I'm willing to give it all that. But, you can't suffer fools in the sales area. Know your stuff before showing up and, also before showing up, skip directly ahead to the internet sales manager when you can. Once you know for sure what you want and have done your homework regarding pricing and trade in value, start with email to the internet sales manager.

Last edited by DHart; 08-16-2017 at 11:56 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Jane got an e-mail from the Mini sales guy.

He'd found one that met all her specs, and got it shipped down, but it was a little high on price. (of course).

He said, "at least you drive it and see if it suits, and if too high - I'll keep looking fr a cheaper one".

Jane couldn't think about it until we'd had the verdict at hospital on Friday morning. As the news was good we decided to go over to see the car, but we stopped off to buy a Parker's guide (shows prices etc).
Arrived, car was plated ready to go.

She liked it

Down to the money. We did the dance - trade is better than I thought possible. We steeled for £350 over Jane's budget - and no service costs for three years!
A good salesman!

We pick it up next Friday.
Congrats in my family we own 4 mini's two clubmans and two countryman's
they are a real driving machine

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 08-21-2017, 09:02 PM

I would rather walk a bed of hot coals barefoot than buy a automobile. Why can't they just cut the crap and be honest!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic