The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-21-2017, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

Default Action strap...

The best...hands down...is Action straps....not cheap....the basic one is $100...and I love it. So do Keith Urban and Jimmy Buffett!!!
Old 08-21-2017, 07:53 PM

I have Tapastring Strapkeepers on all of my guitars that are equipped with large endjacks.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:03 PM

I have all of my straps made by sully's straps www.sullysstraps.com.

These are far and away the finest custom guitar straps I have seen.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:44 PM

FYI you need a StrapKeeper2 for the Taylor ES if you choose to go that route
Old 08-21-2017, 10:35 PM

There are lots of guitar straps that will work with you 914. It's not about the hole size for the end pin but the thickness of the leather (composite). If it isn't too thick and the thickness of the strap can be secure in the endpin then you can widen the hole of your existing strap as needed to go over the large diameter.

Most leathers are pliable so rather than cut the hole larger to fit the pin, stretch the hole larger. I recently fit a Perri's strap with tough leather to my 814 by using a needle nose pliers, sliding the narrow end of the pliers into the strap hole and then sliding the strap onto the pliers until it stretched the strap hole to the proper size, just big enough to fit over and yet hold the guitar securely. Unfortunately there's absolutely no room for any kind of strap lock, but I've never had an issue with my 814 or 614 with a properly fitted strap hole.

Not sure if this was helpful, but I hope so.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 08-21-2017, 10:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Can anyone suggest a guitar strap that will handle the end pin on my 2016 Taylor 914CE - the wide plastic end pin that the newer 'E' Taylor models have?

Thanks,

Tony
When did Taylor switch to a plastic end-pin/strap-jack?
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 08-22-2017, 01:46 AM

Breezy Ridge/John Pearse carries a line of straps made for them by Levy's Leathers of Canada that John designed specifically to accommodate endpin jacks:

˙˙˙

The strap end on the left is the one for guitars with endpin jacks. Here's the explanation for the loops on the ends of those straps:

"Some people aren't aware what purpose the snap on/off loop serves."

"If you are using some sort of pickup on your guitar, you will have a cable from your guitar to an amplifier. Unsnap this extra piece and loop it AROUND your cable and then back through itself and snap it back on the strap. You give yourself an extra one foot or so of protective loop of cable before the insertion in the instrument. That way, if you should step on the cable, it will pull against the leather and that extra loop of cable before it pulls directly on wherever the cable attaches in your guitar and keep the end pin jack from harm!"

http://jpstrings.com/brleather.htm#Straps

You can also get the strap with the larger hole without the loop if you prefer.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 08-22-2017, 03:24 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the responses everybody. I decided to get a Taylor suede strap via Amazon for $38. It works just fine. I also got a few of these:

https://strapjack.com/

So, problem solved.

One person asked when Taylor switched to plastic for the end pin. I don't have an answer for that, but the end pin on my 914CE looks like plastic to me. I could well be wrong about that, but the battery holder, which is plastic, looks and feels to be the same material as the end pin housing and the end pin itself.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 08-22-2017, 04:56 AM
Charter Member

Make your own straps - that's what I do. Easy, cheap.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Thanks for the responses everybody. I decided to get a Taylor suede strap via Amazon for $38. It works just fine. I also got a few of these:

https://strapjack.com/

So, problem solved.

One person asked when Taylor switched to plastic for the end pin. I don't have an answer for that, but the end pin on my 914CE looks like plastic to me. I could well be wrong about that, but the battery holder, which is plastic, looks and feels to be the same material as the end pin housing and the end pin itself.

Tony
I have the Taylor suede strap, and still had real issue getting it on. I slit the hole slot a little longer, used 2 nickels and vice grips (and wetted the hole area of the strap) to compress it a little, but it was still hard to get on and off (2 hands needed). Got the Tapastring, it worked well, but was actually harder to get on/off, so I left it in place, folding the strap over itself on top of the strings when I placed it in the case - a PITA when I played at home sitting down and didn't need the strap. That's why I eventually had straplocks installed - the end one just below the plastic battery compartment.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 08-22-2017, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
Most leathers are pliable so rather than cut the hole larger to fit the pin, stretch the hole larger. I recently fit a Perri's strap with tough leather to my 814 by using a needle nose pliers, sliding the narrow end of the pliers into the strap hole and then sliding the strap onto the pliers until it stretched the strap hole to the proper size, just big enough to fit over and yet hold the guitar securely. Unfortunately there's absolutely no room for any kind of strap lock, but I've never had an issue with my 814 or 614 with a properly fitted strap hole.
I did the exact same thing with my new Martin strap a few months ago. I'm glad to know there is another genius in the world besides me.

To me, making modifications to the strap is preferable to drilling another hole in the guitar. But that's just me.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion