The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-29-2017, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

Default Suggestion for guitar strap...

Can anyone suggest a guitar strap that will handle the end pin on my 2016 Taylor 914CE - the wide plastic end pin that the newer 'E' Taylor models have?

My strap fits, with a bit of effort, but does not feel secure. I can widen the hole, but I wonder if somebody here has figured out something better or found a strap that is more suitable without hacking the ends to make it work.

Thanks,

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 07-29-2017, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

Not sure if it will fit over the end plug of a CE, but I use http://www.ebay.com/itm/Levys-M12-BR...cAAOSwzaJX3Fyf on my Taylors because they are relatively thin (to fit over the end pin) but comfortable....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 07-29-2017, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Not sure if it will fit over the end plug of a CE, but I use http://www.ebay.com/itm/Levys-M12-BR...cAAOSwzaJX3Fyf on my Taylors because they are relatively thin (to fit over the end pin) but comfortable....
Thanks RP. The issue I have is that the end pin is large and plastic, so I have to be careful so I don't damage it. Looking at Taylor's site, they sell guitar straps with a 3/8" hole that is supposed to fit. However, if just enlarging the hole in my strap will do the trick, I can save some money.

Maybe there is more shaping to it to make it fit better, I couldn't tell from the pictures. They have an answer on their FAQ which shows how to put a strap over the CE end pin, but they, of course, recommend Taylor straps that are intended to fit.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 07-31-2017, 07:33 AM

I use a Taylor suede strap, and when I first got it, it was a beast to try to get it on the end pin. I cut the slot about 1/4 longer, then soaked the end with water, and using 2 nickels and a vise grip, compressed the suede - repeating the wetting and compression for about a week. It definitely helped, but was still tough to put on. I then used a tapastring strap keeper on it (which I left on all the time, as it was not easy to get on/off, either).
Then last year I had a strap lock installed, about 3/4" away from the end pin (towards the front). Problem solved

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 07-31-2017, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

I think d'addario recently came out with these. I ordered a couple. They seem like a great solution.

http://daddario.com/pwMobileProductD...7-dd2853632444
Old 07-31-2017, 08:21 AM

Yep......do this........

This Hummingbird Vintage did not have a factory endpin jack so I left the button where it was and installed the jack behind it.....flush. Recently landed a J-45 12 fret that did have a factory system in it, so I installed a standard strap button behind it on the end block.......like in the photo but positions reversed. I detest those large endpin jack buttons......a real pain to put a strap on with out modification. In this way I can use any strap that strikes my fancy on the standard button and not have to be concerned with the fit. Perfect.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Tie a piece of shoelace through the eyelet on the strap. Tie that to the end pin. Hangman's noose works great on the end pin.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:27 PM

I use a Tapastring. Yes, it's a bit more finicky to put on than just a plain strap button hole (that fits!), but really only takes a few more seconds and is quite secure.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crnazz View Post
I think d'addario recently came out with these. I ordered a couple. They seem like a great solution.

http://daddario.com/pwMobileProductD...7-dd2853632444
I bought two and they are awesome.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buc-a-Roo View Post
Yep......do this........

This Hummingbird Vintage did not have a factory endpin jack so I left the button where it was and installed the jack behind it.....flush. Recently landed a J-45 12 fret that did have a factory system in it, so I installed a standard strap button behind it on the end block.......like in the photo but positions reversed. I detest those large endpin jack buttons......a real pain to put a strap on with out modification. In this way I can use any strap that strikes my fancy on the standard button and not have to be concerned with the fit. Perfect.
Man after my own heart Buc. But that won't work on Taylors, with the battery gubbins at the end.

Those stoopid end pin jacks have always been a bugbear of mine , I advocate going even further on some guitars and putting the separate jack right around about "4 O'clock" on the side, ie the "Telecaster position".

I am currently employing the bootlace trick (see Marshall, above) on a Taylor 312, works OK, but that D'Addario widget looks pretty good, I'll get one of them. Thanks for heads up.

Last edited by Long Jon; 08-01-2017 at 03:23 AM.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:41 AM

This Tapastring StrapKeeper really looks like an elegant way to go, at least to me.

Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 08-01-2017, 03:52 AM

@Nama Ensou , your pics of the Tapastring are better than those on their website, I like the look of that more now, thanks.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
@Nama Ensou , your pics of the Tapastring are better than those on their website, I like the look of that more now, thanks.
Not my pics, but I definitely agree these look better than their webpage which looks like it's from the 70's.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 08-01-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Can anyone suggest a guitar strap that will handle the end pin on my 2016 Taylor 914CE - the wide plastic end pin that the newer 'E' Taylor models have?

My strap fits, with a bit of effort, but does not feel secure. I can widen the hole, but I wonder if somebody here has figured out something better or found a strap that is more suitable without hacking the ends to make it work.

Thanks,

Tony
Get the leather one from Taylor. It has lasted...a good 8 to 10 years...EDIT: if that will fit.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:12 PM

What I don't get is why D'Addario / Planet Waves can't make multiple versions of the CinchFit design to fit an array of sizes and slap them into every Guitar Center coast to coast. I know the one they're selling works on Fishman jacks, but it probably won't fit this Taylor. It would be easy for D'Addario to make ones that fit all kinds of guitars, but they don't...why?

I'm considering taking a Dremel to one of mine to make it fit a one-off guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion