The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-08-2017, 05:39 PM

I have a pure classic in one guitar and a fantastix in another. Giving serious thought to transfering the fantastix to my CA.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:36 PM

I put K&K (or JJB) in almost all my CF builds. Many are nylon, so a piezo is a necessity. Even on a steel string I find they work well in connection with a floating mag pickup.

That said, the K&K turns your guitar's top into a giant microphone. Touches, bumps, and even talking gets picked up. Be sure to install with a volume knob so you can cut it out when you aren't playing.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:49 PM
Charter Member

K&K in my RS concert parlor....sounds fantastic.

Have K&K in my 000EC and just installed one in my wife's uke.....pretty easy.

also had Fishman and LR bags. K&K sounds better to my ear and doesn't require batteries.
E-guitars: Turner Model 1, Fender Strat
Banjo: Gretsch
ukes: TK1, Harmony Smeck, banjo-uke
Old 08-10-2017, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Nice to see my old thread brought back from the dead! As an update to my situation, I ended up selling that X20 for a couple reasons - didn't like the color (blue), didn't like the neck shape or scale (long), and didn't like the B-Band pickup system.

Owned a couple CF guitars since there - the little Journey OF660, which I still own and a Rainsong Shorty APLE that was really a great sounding/playing/feeling guitar with it's OM-ish size body and short scale. Ended up selling that one only because once again I was not enamored of the neck shape or the electrics.

I have since ordered an Emerald X20 Custom which is due in a few months. I figured that I'd really liked the X20 if I could change all the things I didn't like on the first one so why not go custom, right? Plus, they got me with those awesome woody tops! So I asked for a short scale, custom neck shape to mimic my Santa Cruz V neck (we did a mold) and as for electrics, of course I went with K&K although I did struggle with the decision!

But why mess with what I know and love? I've had the K&K in almost every guitar that I've really loved and I'm very much used to dealing with the minor challenges of that system. In the end I opted for simplicity and a tone I know well. Needless to say, I'm chomping at the bit to get it in! There will of course be a NGD when it arrives.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Nice to see my old thread brought back from the dead! As an update to my situation, I ended up selling that X20 for a couple reasons - didn't like the color (blue), didn't like the neck shape or scale (long), and didn't like the B-Band pickup system.

Owned a couple CF guitars since there - the little Journey OF660, which I still own and a Rainsong Shorty APLE that was really a great sounding/playing/feeling guitar with it's OM-ish size body and short scale. Ended up selling that one only because once again I was not enamored of the neck shape or the electrics.

I have since ordered an Emerald X20 Custom which is due in a few months. I figured that I'd really liked the X20 if I could change all the things I didn't like on the first one so why not go custom, right? Plus, they got me with those awesome woody tops! So I asked for a short scale, custom neck shape to mimic my Santa Cruz V neck (we did a mold) and as for electrics, of course I went with K&K although I did struggle with the decision!

But why mess with what I know and love? I've had the K&K in almost every guitar that I've really loved and I'm very much used to dealing with the minor challenges of that system. In the end I opted for simplicity and a tone I know well. Needless to say, I'm chomping at the bit to get it in! There will of course be a NGD when it arrives.
Looking forward to hearing how you like the X20 with short scale. I, too, felt the scale length and long positioning off to the left of the neck from the body on the X20 was not quite to my liking.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber