The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-02-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
It's okay. I didn't really expect an answer.
....Which is good b/c you sure didn't get one. Talk about "clinical" and "uninspiring."
2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
2007 Gibson SJ-200 True Vintage
Old 01-02-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post
Just like the GSMini debut, when the original Baby Taylor came out years ago, nothing but admiration and over-the-top glowing reviews abounded here at the old 'Taylor Guitar forum.' Folks were scooping 'em up and singing the praises in threads that rivaled the GSMini threads of late. 'Great sound,' incredible tone & playability,' 'Great for travel.' I even got sucked into buying not one, but 2 of these BTs.

So as the 'newness' or novelty of the GSMini begins to wane—particularly as more folks get to play them— I would expect similar threads to this one to appear: some are disappointed; others still love 'em.
Bear in mind the Baby Taylor had been in production 3 or 4 years already by the time the AGF got going, so it's pros and cons were already well known. The BT got rave reviews largely because it was so unique at the time - who couldn't love the idea of a mini dreadnought you can throw in the car or keep around in the office? Even now it's popular for those same reasons.

The GSmini though has received real time feedback from folks who have largely been genuinely delighted with what an improvement it is. It's vastly better than the BT on intonation, tone and projection. Sure, maybe it doesn't match a full size guitar for tone, but it has it's own unique qualities - it really does have that growl and a playabilility almost like an electric when you get warmed up on it.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:21 PM

To each their own. To me, for the money, far better full-sized and parlor models exist. For now, it seems way too costly for something as niche and tonally compromised. I just expected something more progressive, though I expect Taylor will tweak it.

(See? I can criticize the product and still give much respect to the brand.)
Old 01-02-2012, 12:52 PM
Perennially Maladroit

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyi5 View Post
It's vastly better than the BT on intonation, tone and projection. Sure, maybe it doesn't match a full size guitar for tone, but it has it's own unique qualities - it really does have that growl and a playabilility almost like an electric when you get warmed up on it.
I would hope it would be an improvement over the BT.

But like the BT, the mini fills the need for those folks who want some performance in a smaller package.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddManOut View Post
In its own right it is-to my ear anyway-better sounding than many sub $500 guitars. This is quite the bonus in my mind.
+1. Maybe there's some sample variation going on here, or maybe it's mostly down to taste, but I played a couple of GS Minis in local stores that were good, and the one I ended up with is really good. Count me as a happy camper.

Quote:
I've noted a key to the GS Mini's impressive tone is the Elixir mediums. They really add to the tone...and I don't use Elixirs on any of my other guitars.
Just curious what other strings you've tried, and the results? I've not used anything but the Exilirs, but was going to try some EXPs (which I use on my other acoustics) next time around, just to see.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:59 PM

[QUOTE=MaineTim;2883302 Just curious what other strings you've tried, and the results? I've not used anything but the Exilirs, but was going to try some EXPs (which I use on my other acoustics) next time around, just to see.[/QUOTE]

Tim,
I use EXP's on mine and I think they sound great.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats45 View Post
I tried a GS mini in a music store, thought it was nice, but not worth the asking price. It would make a good travel guitar, but to me that's a lot of dough for a "bummin' around" guitar.
Roger copy that.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:39 AM

It's funny how this guitar brings out such polarizing opinions from people. I'm trying to think of any other make/model that has such an effect. Hmmmm....I guess that could be a whole separate thread...ha.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:52 AM

I was one of the people that got a Baby Taylor when they first came out. After the novelty wore off, it didn't see much playing time. Then came the Big Baby.
Once again I had to have one and the same results soon followed. After the newness wore off, about the only playing time either of them got was when I set them up with a set of Nashville strings.
Again just a novelty and I sold both guitars but for close to what I paid for them.
Move forward to the GS Mini.
Now a little less enthusiastic, I played a few of them. This time I knew that it was just another version of the Baby and it still had that look and sound.

To be fair to the Mini, if I were to have any of the 3 guitars, it would be the Mini.
These guitars are nice for what they are but they won't sound like a full sized guitar or even an OM sized guitar.
I'll pass this time.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:53 AM

While I don't think the GS Mini is the be all and end all, it certainly sounds much better than my Taylor Baby guitars. Plus the intonation is spot on which is not true of either Baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed422 View Post
I think my beef with them has to do with how disappointing they are. I'm a small body, short scale person. I wanted to be taken by it. Based on the reviews here, I expected a lot. Those reviewers who claim that they are better (louder and better tone) than their 910 or GS8 or something similarly ridiculous confuse me. They are built the same way and with the same materials as the Baby Taylor. It feels as flimsy and as tinny, thin and reedy even... or at least the dozen (plus or minus) that I've tried have been. It's got a wider lower bout and ought to sound better and fuller than a Baby. The ones I've tried haven't, or at least not significantly. The thin plywood sides and back contribute nothing to the sound and make it feel flimsy. The least bit of pressure on the neck bends the notes.

If they made one that sounded and felt good, I'd pay more than $500 for it. As is, they are a disappointment. There are bunches of better values at the price. The folks at Voyage Air can pull off solid top laminate sides and back guitars, so can LaSiDo. What can't a great maker like Taylor?

I realize many of you will be offended by that. It isn't my intent. I'm just voicing a simple opinion. I like Taylor guitars. I like short scale guitars. I like small body guitars. It *should* be a slam dunk. It isn't for me.

Ed
Old 01-03-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
While I don't think the GS Mini is the be all and end all, it certainly sounds much better than my Taylor Baby guitars. Plus the intonation is spot on which is not true of either Baby.
It is great you found a good fit. My experience is decidedly different than yours.

Ed
Old 01-03-2012, 02:47 PM

I love playing mine......

-a couple of Taylors
-Silver Creek T-170 (passed on to my daughter)
Old 01-03-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
It is great you found a good fit. My experience is decidedly different than yours.

Ed
You think the GS Mini sounds smaller than the Baby and the intonation was bad?
Old 01-03-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
You think the GS Mini sounds smaller than the Baby and the intonation was bad?
I think it sounds similar (I never said smaller). And, the intonation wasn't significantly better. I never had an intonation problem with the Baby Taylor I had. I did have problems with stability. The GS Mini has the same flimsy feel. I think both Babys and the GS Mini are all underbuilt.

Why is it such a problem that I don't like them? It means more for those of you who do.

Ed
Old 01-03-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
I think it sounds similar (I never said smaller). And, the intonation wasn't significantly better. I never had an intonation problem with the Baby Taylor I had. I did have problems with stability. The GS Mini has the same flimsy feel. I think both Babys and the GS Mini are all underbuilt.

Why is it such a problem that I don't like them? It means more for those of you who do.

Ed
Not a problem at all. It's certainly not for everyone and I would never have one for my main or only guitar. For me, it's a good travel guitar, though still not exactly what I'm looking for.

I did play my GS Mini back and forth with my Baby to my wife and son (he has a pretty finely tuned ear) and the difference to them was night and day. Similar in the most general sense, but the GS Mini sounds much bigger.

But then again, I wouldn't expect our tonal point of view to be the same since I saw in the FS threads that you love the T5 and I thought they sounded awful (and even tried twice buying two about a year apart and even adding a K4). At least they felt and looked great....

We can have differing opinions on whether the Baby and GS Mini feel flimsy. I don't think either does at all, but the Baby does feel a bit like a nice toy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion