The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-21-2017, 10:09 AM

Default BRIDGE PINS ON SEAGULL S6

Will replacement of bone bridge pins on Seagull S6 make that much of a difference?
Looking at Bob Colosi web site looks pretty impressive.
Any thoughts from the group would be great thanks
Old 08-21-2017, 10:35 AM

What are you replacing the bone pins with?

.......Mike
Old 08-21-2017, 10:44 AM

FACTORY PINS ARE PLASTIC
Old 08-21-2017, 04:35 PM

Well the Colosi ones are pretty for sure, so if you look at the pins a lot it will be an improvement.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:04 PM

I replaced plastic pins with bone on two of my guitars. I think it made a difference. A bit punchier, a bit more volume.

On the other hand, a week passed between trying them with the plastic pins and the bone ones (I had the bone ones fitted by a luthier). So, a far from scientific comparison. Could all be in my head.

But, they definitely look nicer, and for a few bucks, I'd rather err on the side of them probably sounding better. They almost certainly won't sound worse.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:20 PM

I think bone transmits vibrations better than plastic, so you should get a bit more clarity and definition. Despite all the Holy Grail/Changed My Life/etc. posts we all read, IME most effects are small in impact, but still significant. A handful of small improvements can really add up. So while I don't think bone pins will transform your instrument, if you get a set that fits really well and use them to replace softer plastic pins, it should be worth it. While some of my guitars have really fancy inlaid pins, I'm really enjoying a beautifully-made set of plain white bone pins these days. Make sure you get a good fit.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:29 PM

The folks trying to sell you fancy bridge pins will ascribe all sorts of beneficial tonal benefits to them. It's in their business interest to do so. That doesn't mean there's any deliberate deception going on, but you're not going to get neutral, unbiased information from anyone who stands to make a few bucks on the transaction.

While there are some players who argue forcefully that different bridgepin materials will give you subtly different tonal profiles, the general consensus is that the best reason to get aftermarket bridgepins is for their visual appeal. The only bridgepin material that no one argues whether it has a tonal impact is brass; even those of us who are dubious about the sonic effects of other materials acknowledge that brass bridgepins change the sound.

It's because brass weighs so much more. Adding all that extra mass to the bridge definitely changes how it can vibrate.

Anyway, if you like how bone bridgepins look, go ahead and get some. They're an inexpensive way to experiment with your guitar, and if you decide you don't like them, it's easy to reverse the experiment. But buy them if you like the look, not because you think they'll "improve" the sound of your guitar.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 08-21-2017, 05:50 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

I've never found replacing plastic bridge pins with bone to significantly effect tone. Which is a good thing. I buy a guitar because I love the way it plays and sounds NOW...not what I hope it might sound like some time in the future when it "opens up" or has been "upgraded" with various stuff. So I always swap out plastic pins for Bob's nice bone pins purely to add bling without messing with the tone.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:24 PM

Like some of the others have said, I don't think I've every really noticed a difference in tone from the bone pins. But I like the looks of them and it just seems right to upgrade from the cheap plastic. Bob Colosi has a good product. On my J-45 I got pins with a tortoise inlay on top to match the pickguard.

Gibson J-45, LR Baggs Anthem SL
Martin D-28, JJB Prestige 330
Seagull S-6
Gibson L-50

Last edited by Deadduck; 08-21-2017 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUCCMAN View Post
Will replacement of bone bridge pins on Seagull S6 make that much of a difference?
No. Not on a Seagull or any other guitar. Don't get fooled by slick marketing. If there was a difference, they would have substantiated proof, like true scientific testing in an anechoic chamber and publish the results.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:03 AM
Get off my lawn kid

I have brass pins in my Seagull, they made a bit of a difference, but I put a sound port in it and its volume is pushed up to begin with. I do have bone (same kind as deadduck) in my 45. They look really good. The brass ones I have don't look that great (big flattish top with mop or something similar inlayed. I'd rather have the brass pins that look like the standard shaped pins. Other than the Seagull, pin swapping on my guitars have had no effect on tone. They just look good.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion