The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-09-2017, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

Default Osthoff Cocobolo/Italian SJ comes home with me!

Oh my, I didn't see this one coming......or maybe I did!

It's been a while since I started a thread here at the Custom Shop! Usually I'm excited to share a new commission but had to share my experience with John. I've known John for well over a decade through various emails back and forth about guitars and such. One year over an email he asked if I was interested in going to Newport Guitar Festival with him (John, I don't know if you remember that or not?) and it was then that I knew that we were friends. He has always been generous and kind and has always shared his knowledge when I had any questions.

My first time I was able to play one of his guitars was actually at the Woodstock Invitational Luthiers Showcase in 2011. I was actually there to pick up my Kostal Brazilian/German MD from Jason (http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=205642), but when you go to such shows, you can't just play one guitar! At that show, two guitars haunted me......one was my Kostal that came home with me and the other was a Brazilian/Redwood that John had at his booth. The moment I picked up that guitar, it just felt familiar. Something about the guitar just felt right.

Woodstock 2015 comes around and again, I go there to pick up anotehr Kostal from Jason. This time my Brazilian/German OM (http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=271036). And again, I swing by John's booth to catch up and play some of his guitars:

Everytime I meet with John, I am floored by his kindness and willingness to talk about guitars. And of course he always seems to have one that tugs at your heart. I remember talking to a person at John's booth and told him that he has to play this guitar. I was raving about John and then the question was asked....do you have any? The hard part of having such a passion for guitars and builders is that there are so many great guitars out there but only a few can come home with you. I can name a handful of world-class builders out there whose guitars I would love to own, but I can't afford to bring them all home with me.

Fast forward to this year. I didn't think a new guitar would join our household since we just had our first son (Asher) born last December. Thankfully for me, Asher does like guitars and I got his approval on my next guitar. I do have one more Kostal guitar coming, but will share that in another thread. The guitar that is with me now is a killer Osthoff Cocobolo/Italian SJ!

I've spent a few weeks with this guitar already and am formulating my thoughts. So far so good and I can't wait to share more. Review on this guitar coming soon and sound clips coming of course For now, here is a teaser pic:

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D

Last edited by ericcsong; 08-09-2017 at 08:53 AM.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Old 08-09-2017, 09:41 AM

Congrats on the new guitar. Looking forward to more pics, sound clips, and maybe a chance to see it one day as I am just starting to think about hosting another AGF gathering after about a 3 year layoff. Also wanted to say congrats on the addition to the family after seeing what I believe is first mention.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 08-09-2017, 10:41 AM

Great to hear this story Eric. I have a similar one, walked up to John to get a name tag for Woodstock last year, had a little talk, told him I had just arrived and wanted to walk around a bit and I would be back to play his guitars, an hour later I walk away with a cousin to yours, a Coco/Italian spruce OM....love that guitar...some crazy cocobolo:

Attachment 2382

Attachment 2383

So the moral of this story is if you don't want a guitar to follow you home unexpectedly, do not talk to John at a guitar show as he apparently has powers over you that can not be resisted....

Last edited by TomB'sox; 03-26-2024 at 08:52 AM.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:38 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hey Eric,

Thanks for posting this. I am excited that you own one of my guitars. As you mentioned we have known each other for years and became friends over that time so that adds to my excitement. In this thread I mentioned the distractions that have kept me out of the shop and away from a “real” keyboard most of the summer. (Just got back (again) late yesterday and I am looking forward to some bench time today.) Working with Eric could not have been easier during this process and he was completely understanding of my slower than usual response time while I was away. Thanks again for that.

In this thread I also talked about the process of making tuner buttons, and we added a set of cocobolo buttons to this one too.

Eric sent me a “rough” (although it wasn’t really very rough) clip of something he wrote for his son. He is a great player. I look forward to hearing some more of stuff and hopefully he will post it here too. I hope Eric enjoys this guitar for many years to come. Thanks my friend.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:41 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Great to hear this story Eric. I have a similar one, walked up to John to get a name tag for Woodstock last year, had a little talk, told him I had just arrived and wanted to walk around a bit and I would be back to play his guitars, an hour later I walk away with a cousin to yours, a Coco/Italian spruce OM....love that guitar...some crazy cocobolo:

Attachment 2382

Attachment 2383

So the moral of this story is if you don't want a guitar to follow you home unexpectedly, do not talk to John at a guitar show as he apparently has powers over you that can not be resisted....
Tom,

I am glad you are enjoying the OM. Even though I had only met you that day at Woodstock for the first time, I also felt like we were friends since I had sort of got to know you on the AGF. I look forward to catching up with you more.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Handsome....!!!
Old 08-12-2017, 03:29 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcsong View Post
...I didn't think a new guitar would join our household since we just had our first son (Asher) born last December. Thankfully for me, Asher does like guitars and I got his approval on my next guitar...
LOL, good one!

And congratulations on a fine guitar!

Is that an Ameritage Silver case? I love that case. A bit on the heavy side, but solid, solid, solid and a good value.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

That's a fine looking instrument!
Old 08-14-2017, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayheyjeff2 View Post
Congrats on the new guitar. Looking forward to more pics, sound clips, and maybe a chance to see it one day as I am just starting to think about hosting another AGF gathering after about a 3 year layoff. Also wanted to say congrats on the addition to the family after seeing what I believe is first mention.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff! Looking forward to getting together with you again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Definitely! Or if you want an amazing world class luthier built instrument, contact John

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Osthoff View Post
Hey Eric,

Thanks for posting this. I am excited that you own one of my guitars. As you mentioned we have known each other for years and became friends over that time so that adds to my excitement.
John, I'm so excited to finally have one of your guitars!

And here are some quick pics. Hopefully more soon!

Old 08-18-2017, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Cozad View Post
LOL, good one!

And congratulations on a fine guitar!

Is that an Ameritage Silver case? I love that case. A bit on the heavy side, but solid, solid, solid and a good value.
I believe it's the gold since it has the humidifier box in it. Here are more pics of the case:

Old 08-18-2017, 11:52 AM

Congratulations Eric on both the new born and the new guitar! Have heard great things about John's work and am now very afraid to try one - it might just leave a guitar sized hole in my pocket Looking forward to hearing more from you in the form of a sound clip as you play tremendously!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 08-21-2017, 05:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Osthoff View Post
Eric sent me a “rough” (although it wasn’t really very rough) clip of something he wrote for his son. He is a great player. I look forward to hearing some more of stuff and hopefully he will post it here too.
Here it is John:
https://soundcloud.com/ericcsong/ost...boloitalian-sj

Guitar plays effortlessly and I am absolutely in love with the neck. It behaves very well behind the mic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
Congratulations Eric on both the new born and the new guitar! Have heard great things about John's work and am now very afraid to try one - it might just leave a guitar sized hole in my pocket Looking forward to hearing more from you in the form of a sound clip as you play tremendously!
Thanks Marcus! Trying to catch up to you and your chops!

Old 08-22-2017, 05:09 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Here it is John:

Guitar plays effortlessly and I am absolutely in love with the neck. It behaves very well behind the mic
Thanks for posting that. Although a you told me this is a lullaby, it also went well with my morning coffee. I look forward to hearing more. Thanks
Old 08-23-2017, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Here it is John:

Thanks Marcus! Trying to catch up to you and your chops!
You have absolutely no catch up to do sir!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop