The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-16-2017, 05:12 AM

Default Looking for input on a mixer upgrade

My wife and I currently play using an old Behringer Eurorack UB1222FX-Pro which has been shaky since it was handed down to us. Last Sunday during practice we lost two channels, both being XLR.

Her and I usually play as a duo, she is on keys and myself on guitar, but recently we have had more and more people want to get involved.

We have been looking at getting the Behringer X-Air 18 but I wanted to get some opinions from you here on AGF.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

Depends on the full ranges of features you will actually use and exactly what you are going to do with it.

I have not heard the newer Behringer the Midas design pre's "should" be an improvement

In that general price range but flat mount (actually $150 less at $449 )you might also consider
The Soundcraft Signature MTX

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Sig12MT

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 08-16-2017, 12:38 PM

What is your budget, how many channels, which features are you looking for? A basic mixer like the Yamaha MG10UX could be a great choice. For a little more money, you can get a similar sized Allen & Heath board with effects and sweep-able mids. If you are ready for a technological revolution, you can look at the expensive, but super capable, QSC TouchMix 8.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
What is your budget, how many channels, which features are you looking for? A basic mixer like the Yamaha MG10UX could be a great choice. For a little more money, you can get a similar sized Allen & Heath board with effects and sweep-able mids. If you are ready for a technological revolution, you can look at the expensive, but super capable, QSC TouchMix 8.

Channels: Around 12 XLR (we always have people wanting to join but sometimes it's just us)
Budget: ~$700
Features: Basic necessities and also the ability to pinpoint certain frequencies and cut them. My guitar likes to howl sometimes even with a sound hole cover and I'd like to be able to find what frequency it goes crazy at and eliminate it.

Thanks for both of your replies. I will check out what you suggested.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:27 PM

Default Looking for input on a mixer upgrade

Your budget is more than enough for a quality analog mixer. You might have to up the budget for a quality digital mixer. Also be warned, if you are tech adverse, avoid the digital mixers.

If you're tech savvy, they're all that and a bag of chips. :-). Based on your comments I would suggest a quick look at the QSC TouchMix 16.

If it looks intimidating, move on to the Allen & Heath Zed FX mixers or the larger version of the suggestion from Kev above.

I really liked the Behringer XR18 digital mixer, but it requires an iPad to interface to make any and all adjustments. That's a deal breaker for some. But it has amazing capability.

The TouchMix are a hybrid of digital and tactile.

There is also a brand new product from Zoom live track 12 which is getting tremendous buzz. Like the TouchMix it is a hybrid with even more tactile controls.

Last edited by martingitdave; 08-16-2017 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:33 PM

I have owned used several analog mixers.
I now own use a Behringer xr16 and it is pretty f**n awesome!
I play mostly duo or trio with one or 2 Bose L1C's.
Take the time to learn the software (although it's quite similar to a typical DAW).
Their TEQ(True EQ) is fantastic for pinpointing any trouble frequencies and pulling them out without affecting your tone. The preamps are really nice as well.
First time I can say I'm totally satisfied with my live sound rig and it all fits in the passenger seat
Old 08-16-2017, 09:12 PM

Default touchmix 16

Another happy Touchmix 16 user here. I would agree with the warning about the tech challenges moving to a digital mixer. It was a challenging 6 months or so, and I have still only scratched the digital surface. But I would never go back. Suffice to say you will be able to do the eq and feedback work you want, and much more, depending on your willingness to dig into it.

I would say it is a question of when (not if) you want to make the change to digital. If you are ready, the Touchmix should be on your list. It is lightweight, small footprint, has every feature imaginable, and is quick to set up and change. It can be used remotely via it's wireless dongle but also has it's own screen. QSC has several training videos you should check out.

If you are not ready for the change, I loved my MixWizard, except for carrying it around and making room for it at gigs.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:50 AM

I like everything about the XR-18 except for the crappy router. It's 2.4 GHZ only and unlike every other router, you have to set the wifi channel manually. You can be totally locked out if there is much other wifi traffic. I'm talking totally locked out where even a reboot doesn't help! I've had this happen three times: once in a high school auditorium and twice in hotel ballrooms! Then I got an Apple Airport Express and that has 5GHz wifi and automatic channel selection so it always works. You need an Apple product to set up the Airport Express the first time though. The built-in wifi works well at home though. I don't trust it anywhere else with wifi.
Old 08-20-2017, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Default Two Live Mixers Stand Above the Others

Aloha,

What do you want in a mixer beyond routing? Great mic preamps (for open, un-compressed, dimensional sound), & flexible great EQ (w/ sweepable mid's to control the room) mostly. That's what gives you the best sound & most control of your live sound. Most of the plethora of small live mixers DO NOT provide that very well - especially the cheaply-made Behringer's.

The two mixers that are heads & shoulders above the rest are the Soundcrafts (Kev's Signature 12 MTK is excellent) & the Allen & Heath ZEDifx series. Soundcraft offers 24-bit FX options & is the best.

If you want a mixer upgrade, those are the two brands to look at. Leave Behringer & the others (like the disappointing, over-rated Mackie's) in the dust. Yamaha's aren't bad either, but not up there with Soundcraft & A&H.

Good Luck!

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 08-20-2017 at 01:55 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification