The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-19-2017, 05:51 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Seems like they moved the last one if my memory serves me right. Not sure why....we talk about wood guitars in the CF forums.
Maybe my thread stayed because I did not reference CF in the title ("NGD: Some nice pieces of cocobolo"), so perhaps it was just missed by the mods. Maybe that's the "trick". If a wood guitar brand was mentioned in the thread title in the CF forum, maybe it would get moved to General.

Btw, I'm just kidding with this. It doesn't matter. The mods are just trying to put threads where they feel they belong for appropriate exposure.

Last edited by Acousticado; 08-19-2017 at 10:00 PM.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

Hey, there IS wood in that Chimera... and, it is pretty!

It IS a guitar.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:41 AM

Default Nice!

Curios on how you like the toggle switch. I once owned a Godin Hollow body and the toggle switch's mechanical noise drove me nuts. I'm told that's common on a lot of high end Hollow body electrics.

So far so good on mine without it. At some point I'll set up a new patch in my Helix that can process both sides separately. I just did a software upgrade in it, so I'm still working on a few things.

The only drawback I've had with my Chimaera was the feedback through my old Fishman Loudbox, which I recently sold. I've found that my QSC PA's and my Quilter Micropro amp work fantastic, no feedback pedal required. I hardly ever play my Martin anymore as I like the sound of the Chimaera better and the electronics have a "less is more" quality to them when plugged in. Once a week I play with 2-3 bass players so amplification is necessary.

Now I'm GASing for an Emerald Harp guitar. If I pull the trigger, which forum would I post
Old 08-20-2017, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

NGD posts of CF guitars should be allowed to be posted in the General acoustic guitar area. I have posted them there before and they stayed there (See my NGD post link below in my sig line for my Journey Overhead OF660). That type of post is about a new guitar and (hopefully) great photos and a review. That should be of interest to all guitar players, IMO. I think the mods get that. And while cross-posting is technically against the rules (I think), the way the OP did it with this case was just perfect. I've often felt that just posting NGD threads for CF guitars only in the CF forum robs those in the much more traveled General forum of seeing and learning about some great guitars!
Old 08-20-2017, 08:29 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcouStickistNS View Post
Curios on how you like the toggle switch. I once owned a Godin Hollow body and the toggle switch's mechanical noise drove me nuts. I'm told that's common on a lot of high end Hollow body electrics.

So far so good on mine without it. At some point I'll set up a new patch in my Helix that can process both sides separately. I just did a software upgrade in it, so I'm still working on a few things.

The only drawback I've had with my Chimaera was the feedback through my old Fishman Loudbox, which I recently sold. I've found that my QSC PA's and my Quilter Micropro amp work fantastic, no feedback pedal required. I hardly ever play my Martin anymore as I like the sound of the Chimaera better and the electronics have a "less is more" quality to them when plugged in. Once a week I play with 2-3 bass players so amplification is necessary.

Now I'm GASing for an Emerald Harp guitar. If I pull the trigger, which forum would I post
It's too soon for me to know. I don't plug in all that much, nor do I play with others that much. I do expect that will be changing in the future, so I hope the system works well.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I received my new cocobolo/sapwood Chimaera on Thursday, August 3rd. I have waited until now to post about it because I first wanted to spend some time with it before commenting.

Tom!

Congrats!

Its a real beauty...these are definitely functional art!

I hope you enjoy the 12 string component as much as I enjoy my X20-12.

A couple of things about your story.

First, I for one love the long NGD posts, and lol...my El Capitan NGD post may be the longest on record. ;-). I loved your post because I get to know more about another player and their perspective, and for me "different" is what makes the world go round. So, I loved hearing the whole backstory and perspective. I find quite a bit joy and value in it. I also totally support it in the general section.

Secondly, another documented testament to Emerald being a GREAT company, showing how putting the customer first can actually result in a good and seemingly successful business model. Another kudos story for Sean, Alistair, and the team at Emerald.

Tom, enjoy that beautiful instrument, and use that to make beautiful music to make the world a better place, God knows we need it! **Side note: I live in Chicago and my brother-in-law was carjacked at gunpoint on Thursday, so any positive vibes we can make with music is sorely needed.

Cheers....

Todd in Chicago
Old 08-20-2017, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Seeing that it has now sold, I can finally reveal that I had the March special edition Chimaera (green body, clear overlays on the top, Celtic knot inlays) for a week in April. I ended up returning it, not due to any flaw in the instrument. It was beautiful and perfectly built in every way -- a real piece of guitar art -- and I nearly kept it just for that.
Earl...

I got a little mixed up on my posts, but anyway I wanted to say that was A STAND UP CLASS move on your part to insist they not pay for shipping back.

The world needs more people who are willing to do the right thing.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago
Old 08-20-2017, 11:33 AM

I recall that the last NGD that was in the General section was moved to the Carbon section at the request of the OP to the Mods. The end of all that it wasn't something the Mods did themselves or were concerned with. They were just happy to follow through on the OPs request.

Guitars are guitars.

And the responses over in the General section have been very good, I think.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:52 AM

Of course if a thread gets moved from the general to another section the title remains on the title page; so it will lead any viewer into that section and introduce them to an area they might never have looked at otherwise.

I have sometimes been looking at a thread that got moved while I was in there, only to emerge blinking in some previously uncharted section eg "electric guitars"....

This can be a good thing, or can be very disorienting for those of a nervous disposition.
Took me a week to find my way back out of there, scary.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:58 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
I recall that the last NGD that was in the General section was moved to the Carbon section at the request of the OP to the Mods. The end of all that it wasn't something the Mods did themselves or were concerned with. They were just happy to follow through on the OPs request.

Guitars are guitars.

And the responses over in the General section have been very good, I think.
Actually, I have noticed this too. For quite some time now, it's rare that a strictly wood fan posts a derogatory comment in the CF forum, or in response to a CF thread in the General. Perhaps posts over time expounding the virtues of CF and the great tones and playability of new offerings, have created acceptance especially where players are tired of dealing with humidity issues and/or are looking for a good travel guitar. It's all good.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:15 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations on what appears to be the ultimate Chimaera, OP.

I appreciate the detailed information of your post very much. Funny how "tried and true" 510's and steel trussrods solved some issues with previous designs. Personally, I did not care for the idea of CF tuners when it came up in a discussion of a planned Bari/12, now tabled. Your experience about these, and the new electronics, has made me glad I've waited.

I now plan on a 6/12 when corcumstances warrant, with additional details tbd.

What I'd really like is a 6/12 slothead, though cost may preclude that. Opinions??

Finally, play in good health, and with gusto!
Old 08-25-2017, 08:55 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
Congratulations on what appears to be the ultimate Chimaera, OP.

I appreciate the detailed information of your post very much. Funny how "tried and true" 510's and steel trussrods solved some issues with previous designs. Personally, I did not care for the idea of CF tuners when it came up in a discussion of a planned Bari/12, now tabled. Your experience about these, and the new electronics, has made me glad I've waited.

I now plan on a 6/12 when corcumstances warrant, with additional details tbd.

What I'd really like is a 6/12 slothead, though cost may preclude that. Opinions??

Finally, play in good health, and with gusto!
Thanks Mark. It is quite the guitar. Regarding the slotted headstocks, they are beautiful and desireable, to be sure. The cost for two certainly would be high. I'm not sure if Alistair has actually crafted a 12 string slotted headstock with his design. You'll have to ask. Athough such a design might be strong enough to handle the tension, I could be wrong, but it may need to be quite long/large to accommodate 12 open tuning machines which might look a little strange. But maybe not. Good luck in working toward owning a Chimaera. As I've said, it is a fun guitar to play.
Old 08-25-2017, 06:25 PM

Awesome guitar! Tom, you have become the doubleneck king. Now you need a electric one!
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 08-25-2017, 06:47 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
Awesome guitar! Tom, you have become the doubleneck king. Now you need a electric one!
Thanks Steve, but no way...you cut that trail long before me. Your original Chimaera fit your wants from the get-go. I've just been lucky enough to ride the wave along with Alistair's adjustments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber