The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-09-2017, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Default NAD plus: Roland AC-33, Xvive U2 wireless, Guy's Grids video review and demo

Hello AGF,

As promised I am going to review some recent acquisitions for my acoustic guitar habit. Specifically a Roland AC-33 amplifier bought used from Reverb, the Xvive U2 wireless system bought new from Xvive (fulfilled by Amazon), and Guy's Grids 'More Than A Chord Book' book, used but new from a reseller (fulfilled by Amazon).

The quick and dirty:

Roland AC-33, bought used in mint condition with Boss FS-6 footswitch and cable from Reverb seller, $265 shipped.

Pros: Lightweight and portable, runs on 8 AA batteries or power cord, feature laden, decent tone.
Cons: Limited power, too expensive new ($460 with footswitch and stereo cable)

Xvive U2 wireless, bought new from Xvive direct via Amazon, $154 shipped.

Pros: Works as advertised, small, simple function, multiple colors (I opted for wood grain).
Cons: Advertised as Prime shipping but took a week to arrive.

Guy's Grids: Bought from Amazon reseller used but new and in original wrapping, for $10 plus $3 shipping. (New they were up around $70, I believe.)

Pros: Large, heavy duty paper, spiral binding, extremely well laid out and packed full of neat chord information.
Cons: Large, expensive new (out of print, I believe), might be overwhelming/TMI for some.

Rather than wax on long with the written word I thought I'd do a video review and demo. So here are two videos, first the review:

And here's the demo, please excuse the mediocre playing (walking and playing is hard!) and singing. Also be aware that much of the 'bad' sound from the amp early on during the wireless distance testing is due to the camera being positioned behind the amp (sounds much better with camera in front) as well as the usual limitations of using a cell phone camera. Also, with regard to the latency comments I only noticed it when strumming hard. When just playing fingerstyle (my default) I did not notice any latency at all. Guitar needed to be turned up a little compared to vocals:

Old 08-09-2017, 11:52 AM

You got a great deal on that ac33. I'm a huge fan of Rolands Battery powered stuff. I gig regularly with the Cube Steet EX and sometimes with my passport Mini. Use a mobile cube as our monitor.

I think your setup sounds great.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 08-09-2017, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
You got a great deal on that ac33. I'm a huge fan of Rolands Battery powered stuff. I gig regularly with the Cube Steet EX and sometimes with my passport Mini. Use a mobile cube as our monitor.

I think your setup sounds great.
Thanks. I had a Cube Street EX at one time and ended up selling it. The Cube has a lot more power and sound projection than the AC-33, at least as I recall. I do like the acoustic-centric features on the AC-33 over the Cube. Although it likely won't get used a ton we'll likely keep the AC-33 as it can serve as a monitor as well should we ever start to play larger gigs and need it along with the Carvin AG200 which is hour primary.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:32 PM

Great demos sir! Really appreciate you recording the volume at different distances Do you happen to have a wireless mic system as well? I'm thinking of going completely wireless but it seems like it might be a pain
Old 08-09-2017, 01:11 PM

I purchased the U2 and it worked well but I could not get rid of interference. When I tried it live, I had to go back to using a cable because the interference was so bad that it was louder than my guitar. I tried a second one and it had the same issue. It's a shame because I love the design. I just have to say that I hope yours works well for a long time because Xvive had terrible customer service.
Old 08-09-2017, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I purchased the U2 and it worked well but I could not get rid of interference. When I tried it live, I had to go back to using a cable because the interference was so bad that it was louder than my guitar. I tried a second one and it had the same issue. It's a shame because I love the design. I just have to say that I hope yours works well for a long time because Xvive had terrible customer service.
It would be helpful to know what types of live performances/venues you were in that caused the interference. I would imagine that a crowded city or downtown bar/coffee shop venue would be ripe for multiple and powerful WiFi's competing for the 2.4 gHz band. Also, what type of interference? Dropouts or hums? Pops, crackles? Want to keep an eye (ear) out for anything.

My 'test' is pretty one dimensional, I'll admit. I live 1,200' off a rural road and my WiFi is at the other end of the house. Regardless, I'll be certain to have a cable back up with me if and when it gets used out anywhere!

As for Xvive's CS, haven't had to deal with them but was less than impressed when they advertised themselves as shipping Prime on Amazon only to take a full week to get it to me. They lose points for that but since it technically is not part of the performance I didn't mention it in the review. Or did I? - lol, yep, I did mention it as the sole con!

Last edited by Methos1979; 08-09-2017 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-09-2017, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrome View Post
Great demos sir! Really appreciate you recording the volume at different distances Do you happen to have a wireless mic system as well? I'm thinking of going completely wireless but it seems like it might be a pain
Thanks! Yeah, I thought hearing the amp at different distances as well as testing the wireless at different distances would be crucial to many. I do not have a microphone wireless. Really no need for one as my wife (vocals) is not a wanderer like me.

My desire for wireless quite honestly is to be able to walk around and check sound levels and also I tend to constantly circle in one direction and end up tangled in the cord. It's really kind of amusing and more than a little sad...

Also, unlike the guitar offerings, I'm not sure what if anything is out there for battery powered wireless vocal mic systems. Admittedly though I have not looked into it.
Old 08-09-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
It would be helpful to know what types of live performances/venues you were in that caused the interference. I would imagine that a crowded city or downtown bar/coffee shop venue would be ripe for multiple and powerful WiFi's competing for the 2.4 gHz band. Also, what type of interference? Dropouts or hums? Pops, crackles? Want to keep an eye (ear) out for anything.

My 'test' is pretty one dimensional, I'll admit. I live 1,200' off a rural road and my WiFi is at the other end of the house. Regardless, I'll be certain to have a cable back up with me if and when it gets used out anywhere!

As for Xvive's CS, haven't had to deal with them but was less than impressed when they advertised themselves as shipping Prime on Amazon only to take a full week to get it to me. They lose points for that but since it technically is not part of the performance I didn't mention it in the review. Or did I? - lol, yep, I did mention it as the sole con!
I tested the U2 in my house and then at a couple of venues. One was a pub that if it had wifi, was not hooked up anywhere near the stage. The other was an outdoor venue, on a patio, away from most retail stores. It seemed that the interference was just being added by the unit itself but I couldn't tell. It just sounded like static or what you would expect from EMF interference.

The other odd thing with the U2 was that although it had 4 channels to choose from, only one actually kept the signal without any drop outs. All four had the interference though. I might give the Line 6 G10 a try. Same sort of idea but apparently it's pretty well received.

As for customer service, I would receive email replies but it was obvious that I was speaking to someone not very fluent in the English language. The emails were sent 3-4 days apart so a lot of waiting and there was no attempt to resolve the issue. The incredibly odd part is that out of the blue, I received a new U2 from a Canadian distributor who I had not ordered from. I had never given Xvive my contact information so that one was very strange.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I tested the U2 in my house and then at a couple of venues. One was a pub that if it had wifi, was not hooked up anywhere near the stage. The other was an outdoor venue, on a patio, away from most retail stores. It seemed that the interference was just being added by the unit itself but I couldn't tell. It just sounded like static or what you would expect from EMF interference.

The other odd thing with the U2 was that although it had 4 channels to choose from, only one actually kept the signal without any drop outs. All four had the interference though. I might give the Line 6 G10 a try. Same sort of idea but apparently it's pretty well received.

As for customer service, I would receive email replies but it was obvious that I was speaking to someone not very fluent in the English language. The emails were sent 3-4 days apart so a lot of waiting and there was no attempt to resolve the issue. The incredibly odd part is that out of the blue, I received a new U2 from a Canadian distributor who I had not ordered from. I had never given Xvive my contact information so that one was very strange.
Wow - that IS odd...

I looked at the Line 6 but I wanted something that was battery powered on both sides of the equation. Needing to plug in the receiver negated my desire to use it with a batter powered amp.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Update: Another week in and several uses in and around the house/yard continues to impress. I'm LOVING the freedom of being wireless. Being able to walk around and move without the bother of being tethered by a guitar cord is a great feeling. No dropouts or any other issues and sound quality is as good as when I use a cord. I have used the U2 system now on both the Roland AC-33 and my Carvin AG200 with the same great results.

Another bonus, you can turn off the transmitter (or receiver for that matter) without any loud popping noises on the amplifier. This is great if you've got to run to the bathroom or get a drink. Just kill the transmitter and you can even unplug the transmitter with no noise. This is great for switching guitars too. Just plug into another guitar, power on the transmitter and no popping - you're good to go.

The only thing that I'm finding mildly annoying/amusing is the shape of the transmitter/receiver... They look like giant ticks! Eww!
Old 08-17-2017, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

Update: Another update from today's playing - I tried using guitar pre-amps with the Roland AC-33 and the U2 wireless. I tried both the K&K pre-amp (the little battery-powered belt clip model) and the LR Baggs Para DI. I was quite impressed with how much better the guitar sounded. So much more power and articulation.

As usual, the Para was just over the top way too much for the simple needs. The K&K was more than enough. I tried it connected to the guitar at my end and also at the amp end and both worked well and sounded fine. You could tell the auto-feedback kill circuitry was working overtime with the added volume.

One thing I did notice with both pre-amps was some issues with the wireless. There was noticeable drop outs here and there where before I had experienced next to none. Not gawd-awful but enough that I might not be willing to use it in public except for the most casual of gigs like a bonfire. I'll need to do more testing for this. I had not charged the wireless units in a few days so it's possible that had something to do with it. Or perhaps it's due to the close proximity of the pre-amp. More testing is needed.

Speaking of batteries, I finally changed out the batteries in the Roland. I was still using the same used Pro Duracells from the original testing. I've used this amp quite a bit now so I am quite impressed with how long the first batch lasted. I've got a big 'ole box of these used-once batteries so I should be good for quite some time!
Old 08-19-2017, 03:52 AM

Very good demo. I had no idea an amp that size would project as far as that one did. I was also impressed with the clarity of both guitar and vocals.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Very good demo. I had no idea an amp that size would project as far as that one did. I was also impressed with the clarity of both guitar and vocals.
Thanks, I've been relatively impressed with the volume and clarity of both the guitar and vocals as well. And that's only in battery mode. I have yet to try it by plugging it in which would be significantly louder. The amp is rated at 10 watts on battery, 15 watts on electricity from the wall.

I plan to eventually record another video that also shows the addition of the guitar pre-amp as well as my wife on vocals. Stay tuned for that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification