The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-17-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_one View Post
That's my strategy too. I have the airline credit card which allows me to board early enough to get my hard case into the overhead bin.

The last four years I have brought a full sized guitar on a service trip (with four flights/legs) and at worst have had to gate check it. The last two years I've been able to get it on the plane every time.

However, some planes have better bins that others. Most 737 style planes (and low end Airbus 319-321) have bins that can accept the guitar case. They have a space that stretches across multiple rows.. I've found that 767 and 787 planes have bins that are divided individually in each row. On those planes you have to hope you can get it in the front closet on the plane. My friend was able to get a jr. sized fender guitar (3/4 size guitar) in a gig back in a 787 bin. But I don't know the size of parlor or GS mini guitars to know if they would fit as well.
When you "gate checked" it, was it returned at the destination gate, like, say, a baby stroller, or was it put into the main baggage stream like a gate-checked suitcase, that pops out at the baggage carousel?
Old 08-17-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRG View Post
When you "gate checked" it, was it returned at the destination gate, like, say, a baby stroller, or was it put into the main baggage stream like a gate-checked suitcase, that pops out at the baggage carousel?
That is the whole point in asking for the colored gate check tag -- the color varies by airline but it is usually a bright yellow, orange, or green color --instead of the white tag. The plain white one means your guitar is carried down from the jet way by hand with strollers and goes into the cargo hold, but will come out on the regular baggage carousel at the destination end. It is a subtle but important distinction.

At least it has worked that way on half dozen different airlines for me. Just ask the gate agent to be sure.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:57 PM

Maybe VRG needs to specify the type of guitar he is going to take on his flight. A X20, to be exact?

The X20 is not a travel guitar. If you want to travel with a guitar, and bring it onboard a flight, I would strongly recommend a smaller CF model.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRG View Post
I'm traveling by air tomorrow...

.... am I crazy for carrying on with a a gig bag? I'd be interested in others' experiences and opinions.
I've traveled with various Adamas' over the last couple of decades and never had any problems with them in the overhead or my preference, getting them to stand it up in the closet.
In all those trips to Japan, only once did I take a hard case, and then only because I was contemplating selling that one.

High quality gig bags offer great protection and the only ones I've been using have been the InCase SlimLine model, which are so unfortunately long ago discontinued.

To tell the truth though, I personally would still be willing to travel with a medium quality gig bag because of the treatment that I've experienced to date.

Let us know how it goes after your trip is over and if you have any hardships.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 08-18-2017, 12:51 PM

Gate checked like a stroller. My guitar was waiting for me in the jetway as I exited the plane. I guess that was the colored tag - I just made sure I would be able to get it when I got off the plane.

I don't allow it to go though the baggage conveyor belts!

I was flying United - so I followed their rules and brought the guitar in a TSA approved SKB hard case. In general they were very nice about allowing a full sized guitar case on the plane. Other folks I've traveled with have brought a Taylor Baby guitar or the 3/4 size Fender in gig bags and had no problems getting them on the plane as well. These are all regular 737 or larger planes though. I've never traveled with the guitar on a smaller regional jet or turboprop.

This is the case I used - it is a regular sized hard guitar case.
http://www.skbcases.com/music/produc...set=&c=83&s=75

Last edited by jr_one; 08-18-2017 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:25 PM

Just flew to the family cottage and back with my Cordoba Solista Flamenca guitar. Obviously a MUCH more fragile instrument than the CF guitar in question, but I use an SKB iSeries case. I put it under the plane (Air Canada) both times and it was totally fine. Nice not to be at the random whim of the gate/flight staff every time I board the plane.

While it is likely overkill for X20, and not sure which iSeries would even fit your guitar, for others considering travelling with a guitar I can't recommend this case enough, especially for the money. It is bulkier, but has wheels so it is easy to roll through the terminal. Also, case is about 20-25lbs, so even with a heavy instrument you are below the 50lb checked bag limit.

Anyway, not a specific answer to the OP but related to the topic (and possibly useful info to others).

Later
Rob
Old 08-22-2017, 03:58 PM

Default SKB iSeries case

I have used one of these for a couple of airline flights. They are really durable (I can stand on mine, and I am NFL lineman sized) and they have TSA locks. They also have plenty of accessory space inside the case, and it has wheels on the end for transport through the airport before handing it over. Then I can check the guitar without [much] worry. They might lose it...... but probably won't break it. http://www.skbcases.com/music/produc...et=1&c=75&s=75

I do cheat a bit -- my clothes go in a gig bag instead of a suitcase, so I can stash the big SKB case and carry the guitar in a gig bag at the destination end.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:58 AM
Charter Member

All good information. But, I just hope I'm not on a flight fighting for overhead space and some guy takes up the whole overhead bin, meant for 3 (people) bags, for his guitar.

Airline travel is tough enough.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:58 AM

My RainSong Parlor spent last weekend in Myrtle Beach. There was plenty of space in the Allegiant overheads. If you have a choice, choose an airline that charges for carry-on. Allegiant charges for carry-on and check. A nice side effect is the plane loads and unloads quickly as not so much is being dragged on-board, and the luggage appears at the carousel faster too as there is a lot less of it.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 08-23-2017, 06:34 PM

Bluside - I'm usually traveling with a group and I'm one of the only ones with a carry on "bag". With only a couple of us using overhead bins, we are a net positive for airplane bin space - even with my guitar. So I don't feel bad bringing it on.

In the end, it's much better for my peace of mind than the alternative (checking), and doesn't create much hardship for others.

Last edited by jr_one; 08-23-2017 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluside View Post
All good information. But, I just hope I'm not on a flight fighting for overhead space and some guy takes up the whole overhead bin, meant for 3 (people) bags, for his guitar.

Airline travel is tough enough.
I'll second that sentiment - even if most of the group would not!
Old 08-24-2017, 09:55 AM

Default Airline travel is tough enough

Once or twice I have gotten a little "stink eye" from other passengers for having my full sized guitar in the overhead. But I paid considerably extra to be in first class (I need the seat size and leg room) and the flight attendant could not put it in the already full closet, so there was no choice. I did offer to let fellow passengers put their smaller bag under the seat in front of me, even though it impacted my foot room.

And I agree --- flying is just NO FUN anymore, guitar or not. I used to enjoy business and personal travel, but now I turn down business travel (and the associated work) equivalent to at least three new Martin Authentic's every year. And all vacations have become non-flying. It has been two years since my last flight, and I used to fly at least 75K air miles per year. [stepping off my soap box now, rant over]
Old 08-27-2017, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

after the fact for the poster but experience might be useful to somebody.....

flew 1st class multiple flights from reno, SF then to Hawaii and back a couple months ago. 1rst so was pretty sure I could put my RS parlor in overhead in the gig bag. Still, my buddy shamed me into bringing the hard case so I crammed the gig bag in the suitcase. Also got a axe pack to carry the case through the airports which is well worth the $40 at elderly. Guitar weighs 3# but the case weighs 10!!! Turns out SF runway was closed so we missed our flight. Was able to gate check it next flight. But to my surprise the Hawaiian air from between islands only let you gate check strollers and car seats. I smiled a lot to no avail. So it ended up in baggage. Same on the entire return flights. The chips and dings in the case confirmed my buddies wisdom.

So in the end, as much as I hate the weight of that case I use it now when flying. If a short trip i'll pack my cloths in the gig bag or carry on but switch at the destination.

Have considered a lighter checkable case for the parlor but so far for the money not worth it.
E-guitars: Turner Model 1, Fender Strat
Banjo: Gretsch
ukes: TK1, Harmony Smeck, banjo-uke

Last edited by Kerbie; 08-27-2017 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Removed masked profanity
Old 08-27-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadio917 View Post
after the fact for the poster but experience might be useful to somebody.....
Thanks for posting. It's a good reminder that a lot of things can happen that are out of your control. As the OP, I decided to take the risk of flying with only the gig bag. The flights went fine for me. On the outbound they stood my guitar up in a closet. Return flight was a somewhat smaller plane, though not what I would call a "small" airplane. On that one the attendants said there was no closet of sufficient size to store it. Since I boarded in group 2 of 5 I had plenty of overhead space; I just had to manage the placement of other luggage in the bin. Bottom line: there is some risk in flying with a gig bag. You have to decide whether to take it and whether you have the flexibility (financial and temporal) to bail out if everything goes south.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:10 AM

Glad that worked out. Valuable info in this thread.

Jeff

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber