The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-17-2017, 03:29 PM

Default Bridge thickness and string gauges

Hello. I have recently bought a cheap parlour guitar, a Hudson, a Welsh brand. When it arrived there was about 1mm of saddle poking out of the bridge on the bass side, and maybe 2.5mm on the treble side. I soon found that the treble height was boosted by a folded over piece of plastic, a very cheeky shim. The action was still a bit high on the bass side and I realised after limited movement from the truss rod that the neck set was bad. I'd bought this guitar knowing it would get rough treatment and that it would be tuned down two steps and decided not to fight the shop for a replacement.

I've tried different gauges and alloys of string, but also have tried two different bone saddles, one giving medium-high 12th fret action and the other low-medium action. I put in 'strings ramps' to improve break angle and sanded some of the bridge. I did worry that I would lose bass - I'd gone very overboard with bridge shaving once using a cedar Art & Lutherie guitar, losing significant bass, partly restored following some advice Al Carruth or Charles Tauber or both gave me on another forum, over a decade back, which involved shaving back braces and glueing some ebony to the bridge plate to restore its mass.

More recently I'm sure I remember reading a thread about the relationship between the bridge's thickness and what gauge of strings are suited. I cannot remember the gist of the thread - whether a thinner bridge suits medium strings or a thicker bridge does. (I'm guessing the latter seeing as classical guitars have such slight bridges.) I know I can't expect much bass from a parlour guitar, but I feel sure this guitar is now at its best. The bridge is scarcely thicker than a nylon string guitar's (6mm at the highest point) and the strings are an electric guitar set running: 12, 16, 24, 32, 44, 56, with a wound third replacing the plain one that came with the set. The 12th fret action is about 2.25mm bass, 1.75mm treble at the 12th fret and with minimal but visible 7th fret relief.

What is the likelihood that I've struck on a good relationship between bridge thickness and string gauge? And what's the likelihood that a set of heavier strings would sound not as good? The bass presence is at its best since I bought the guitar and likewise the brightness, for whatever reason(s).

Thanks.

Last edited by tpprynn71; 08-17-2017 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:37 PM

I don't believe there's any direct correlation between bridge thickness and string gauge. There might be some indirect relationship, like bridge weight and string gauge, or height of strings above top and string gauge, which are both related to bridge thickness. I doubt that's the case.
et al
Old 08-17-2017, 08:29 PM

Low bridge+saddle height means low torque on the soundboard, which means you can get away with higher tension strings without killing it. Whether it will sound better with them, you'll just have to try it and see.
Old 09-01-2017, 05:32 PM

If you are happy with it - then it is fine. Leave it be and play it.

Sure - we could go on about how it really needs a neck set and a new bridge... Etc etc... But if you are content with the way it sounds and plays - then what is the problem?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair