The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-21-2017, 01:44 PM

Default Best visual Metronome?

I am a visual person it just is what it is and I want a metronome that has a counter that is visual and is bright enough to use as a Locomotive Light... maybe with some fun tracking sounds too. Ideas?

Gibson "Custom Late 1950's Reissue Southern Jumbo Triburst"
Taylor 314CE (Built by Ren Ferguson)
Mystery Resonator
Fender Stratocaster
Old 08-21-2017, 01:53 PM

My old fashioned pyramid metronome with the swinging arm is an excellent visual aid that helps me stay on time especially during band rehearsals when the clicks are not as easy to hear.

Caveat for those old metronomes:

If the surface it's on is not perfectly level, and the metronome is positioned just so, every other click will be faster than the next click.
This is because the arm has to swing slightly uphill in one direction, and downhill in the other direction.
Unless you are in the International Space Station gravity makes the uphill swing take longer.

Solution: Rotate the metronome so the time between every click is the same ... IOW the arm is no longer swinging up and downhill.

My piano teacher said he's had many students assume their metronome was defective.

Last edited by Tico; 08-21-2017 at 02:56 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:18 PM

Look no further. The Boss D-90. It's the only metronome you'll ever need. It can do everything except make you breakfast in bed.

You can make the back light stay on, or auto-off to conserve battery power. It has out ports so you can use it to record click-tracks. You can add a foot pedal for start and stop. Has a midi-in (not sure how you used that). It can sub-divide in many different ways, has different beat patterns, tap tempo, coach, different time signatures with dinger to indicate new measures...more stuff than I could think of using (or know how to use) The Swiss Army Knife of metronomes, for sure. Definitely recommended for drummers (especially those with R.A.D.S.).

Basically... If the DB-90 doesn't have it, you don't need it!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...beat-metronome
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 08-21-2017, 03:05 PM

I've been using the Boss DB-90 for years and agree it's a pretty darn good metronome. You can even hook up a footswitch which is nice.

However, I just recently acquired a BeatBuddy pedal which I'm really digging and can highly recommend as well. I find the visual metronome on the BeatBuddy very easy to follow while I'm playing and the drum beats sound great. I'm liking it enough that the DB-90 is up on a shelf for now.

I realize these are both rather expensive options, but definitely worth it IMHO. Happy hunting.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:53 PM

There are hundreds of online visual (and aural) metronomes ...

Last edited by Kerbie; 08-23-2017 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Rule #1
Old 08-21-2017, 04:57 PM

I do.
Many of my students do.

Not everyone throws away perfectly good old stuff just because there is newer stuff.
Some people even embrace old stuff over new stuff.
(But, never fear, we'll all be dead soon.)

Sometimes "obsolete" is a brainwashing scam to suck more money out of us, or redirect our eyeballs to some "free" online thingie that actually makes money from our eyeballs (pop up ads) or harvesting and selling personal information.
No thanks.

After paying for my stand-alone physical metronome that's the end of them making money off me.
I like that; it feels cleaner.

I wind it up.
It works.
No electricity, battery, Internet connection, or looking at a computer screen is needed.
Unlike my 27" monitor I can move my metronome wherever it is easy to see when I rehearse.

Last edited by Kerbie; 08-23-2017 at 05:09 AM. Reason: Deleted quote, rule #1
Old 08-21-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
...Not everyone throws away perfectly good old stuff just because there is newer stuff.
Some people even embrace old stuff over new stuff...
I just bought a 100 year old table lamp this afternoon.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
I just bought a 100 year old table lamp this afternoon.
Shame Shame Shame.

Haven't you heard of LEDs? ... or are LEDs now passé?
Old 08-21-2017, 05:30 PM

In my mind it boils down to convenience vs. cost. I typically practice in the same room most of the time and it's usually just on a whim whenever the mood strikes. So it's much more convenient for me to have a metronome with a footswitch powered on the same circuit as the rest of my gear. If I'm using an app on my phone or PC I'd have to get that all set up (Honey, you seen my phone?), click something to start it up, get ready to play, fiddle with restarting it, etc. I'm a creature of convenience, so I'd be much less likely to use it then. However, all this equipment ain't cheap, so if being frugal is the goal then I suppose I can see where a free app can be a good option too.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
Shame Shame Shame.

Haven't you heard of LEDs? ... or are LEDs now passé?
Oh, LEDs will be going in it. What makes you think that LEDs won't work in an old table lamp?

It's a Bradley & Hubbard bronze Lily form lamp with an amber slag glass shade with a formed bronze overlay. Very much from the Arts & Crafts era, it will fit in very nicely with all the dark stained quarter sawn white oak trim and wainscoting.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
Oh, LEDs will be going in it. What makes you think that LEDs won't work in an old table lamp?

It's a Bradley & Hubbard bronze Lily form lamp with an amber slag glass shade with a formed bronze overlay. Very much from the Arts & Crafts era, it will fit in very nicely with all the dark stained quarter sawn white oak trim and wainscoting.
Sounds nice.

I'm ignorant about LEDs.
Never considered buying them, too expensive.
I'll buy them when the next thing comes out and LED prices fall.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion