The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-12-2002, 09:08 PM

Default Martin DM or Taylor 310 or Martin D16-GT

Need expert opinion here. Don't know which one to get. Can someone give me the pros and cons?
Old 12-12-2002, 09:51 PM

It depends on what you're looking for and how much money you have. If money isn't the main issue, dismiss the DM (laminated sides and back) and focus on the D-16 and 310, which are both all solid wood. Then play them both for a while and see which one you prefer. You might find the Martin a little tougher to play because of a higher factory setup, but that can be adjusted easily. Since both are good guitars, let your ears be your guide and you won't be disappointed.
Old 12-12-2002, 10:07 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Depends on which guitar you like better when you play them. People who prefer the "Taylor tone" will prefer the Taylor. Those who prefer the "Martin sound" will prefer the Martin. Kind of like asking somebody else to pickout your wife for you.
Old 12-12-2002, 10:27 PM

dudley,
I have recently been comparing those three models myself. I spent a while comparing the DM and the 16 head to head. The DM had a much more open sound compared to the tight 16. Satin top on DM and gloss on 16. I preferred the DM myself. The 310 has a tighter sound, like the 16 because of the gloss tops, I assume. The 16 will be about $200 bucks less than the 310. The 310 has some nicer appointments, though, like ebony instead of Micarta. Enjoy the search and try to sit down with all three at once and hammer on em and pick the one that speaks to you.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 12-12-2002, 10:43 PM

I currently own D16-GT and consider it a very nice guitar. Probably one of Martin's best bang for buck guitars that they have. Mine is a 2000 so it has the ebony, however from what I've heard around here and the UMGF is that the mircarta is a great replacement for ebony. However if you are a purist, this is probably going to turn you off. But since you are looking at a DM, I'm going to assume that this wouldn't bother you...and don't let it.

As it's been said many times on the forum, get the one that speaks to you. Just remember that the Martin will need to be adjusted get have better (I consider lower better) action (I still need to get mine adjusted for lower action).

Between all three, I personally wouldn't look at the DM. If you plan on owning the guitar your purchase for a long time, the D16-GT and 310 are all solid wood (except for the mircarta) and will probably have a tonal advantage in the long run.

As for the 310, it is a great guitar. It already has a great factory setup and has the Taylor tone...

Between the D16-GT and the 310, I can't think of a true disadvanage of either instrument besides the Martin factory setup. Each guitar will have a certain tone and hopefully you'll perfer one over the other...otherwise you're going to have a really tough time deciding between the two!

Good luck and let us know what you decide to get!

Chris

2003 414CE-L3 "Welcome Home" (Mahogany/Cedar)
2002 Busted Baghdad Baby (Retired)
2000 Martin D16-GT

User ID #1745

Old 12-13-2002, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt McGriff
The DM had a much more open sound compared to the tight 16. Satin top on DM and gloss on 16.
I don't know that the finish has much to do with it, but now that I think of it, the tonal difference stands to reason given that the two series have different bracing patterns. You can see them here on Frank Ford's website if you scroll down and look for pictures of the 1 and 16 style braces (the Road/M series uses the 1 style). The two styles have different size and shape bridge plates, and the 1/M models have just one short tone bar, while the 16's pattern is closer to the traditional pattern used in the standard series, which would account for a tighter sound when new.
Old 12-13-2002, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff M
Depends on which guitar you like better when you play them. People who prefer the "Taylor tone" will prefer the Taylor. Those who prefer the "Martin sound" will prefer the Martin. Kind of like asking somebody else to pickout your wife for you.
Hmmmm . . . I guess that would be OK, as long as all of the opinions were from people who had played her. Fortunately, mine came straight from the factory!

I wonder if anyone has been diagnosed with W.A.S.? Anyone here been married more than two or three times?

2005 Hamblin SJ (cedar/flamed mahogany)

www.jimtozier.com
Old 12-13-2002, 07:42 AM

You may also want to check out the Guilds (D-40 mahogany, D-50 and D-55 both rosewood). I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the tone, action and build quality. I know my D-55 made in Corona, CA is excellent!
714ce
814c (Florentine cutaway, tobacco sunburst)
Big Baby
Larrivée L-05
Gibson J-55
Gibson S.J.
Guild D-55
Seagull Grand Artist (Rosewood Parlor)
Gold Tone PBR (maple deluxe resonator)
Regal RC-51 (tri-cone)
Fender F-48 (metal body resonator)
Cort Earth 900
A&L AMI
Ariana Classical
Kent archtop
Silvertone archtop
Harmony archtop

Les Paul Custom
Fender Strat
Old 12-13-2002, 08:29 AM

Ditto on checking out the Guild line. I have a friend who purchased a guild about a year and a half ago and he's truely happy with it...until I showed him my new Taylor

Chris

2003 414CE-L3 "Welcome Home" (Mahogany/Cedar)
2002 Busted Baghdad Baby (Retired)
2000 Martin D16-GT

User ID #1745

Old 12-13-2002, 10:31 AM

Yep, my neighbor picked up a used Guild dread and a used Martin both on the cheap a while back. These guitars had both loosened up but both had that bassier sound normally equated with Martin. Both sounded great, but I fancied that Guild. Beautiful guitar...and what a deal too. From what I've seen, you can get more guitar for the money with Guild. Particularly in the used department.

Based on the guitars you had picked out, I know which one I would choose (the 310), but that would be my ear, not yours. If you have access to a Taylor 410, you may want to consider looking at that one before your purchase. It offers some more of the warm bass you find in those Martins.
2002 Taylor BabyM
Old wood tambourine & wire brushes
Old 12-15-2002, 08:55 PM

Default Taylor 310

Thanks everyone for sharing your valued opinion. I have decided to get myself the Taylor 310 because of the NT neck video. The Martin sang to me more than the Taylor, but somehow the ease of playing on the Taylor made me choose them.
Hopefully I will be happy with my decision.
Old 12-15-2002, 09:02 PM

Id throw the DM out of the mix and let the other two fight it out. JW
Old 12-15-2002, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

I had a DM and a DX-1 in the past and they were good for the money, but certainly not in the category of what you are considering between the 310 and GT16 series.

I considered a couple various Martins before I recently got my new 410ce. Martin has a certain distinctive tone and I like it well enough, but playing the Taylor was just so much easier and with no great luthiers to go to around here, it was a no brainer. I got the Taylor. You just can't go wrong with the Taylor no matter how you slice it.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:48 AM

Default 310...

Found a used 2003 Taylor 310 in GC...was dead set on buying a Martin D28...saved myself $2500, and got a better sounding guitar...can't put it down...absolutely awesome guitar.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:20 PM

Martin D16gt easily for a dread...skip the DM...if i was getting a taylor it would be the 314ce...

Toms Soundclick Page

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification