The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-18-2005, 08:42 AM

dthumb-clearly you have a point, and I suppose to an extent there's some truth in it-but, you have to realize the "Esteban" situation is unique (and I've seen similar disses about Walmart guitars, Gibson's plans to sell to Sam's Club, etc.) so don't feel persecuted. I believe Estebans are about the ONLY guitars ever reviewed on Harmony Central that garner the kinds of comments they do. Most EVERYONE gives "their purchase" 9's and 10's. I can't think of any other guitar that uniformly gets 1's, or sometimes 0's!

A few years back, Roy Clark was hawking some guitar on an infomercial. It may well have been before the advent of internet forums--or near the beginning. I'm sure these guitars weren't very decent either, and if he was out there now doing the same thing, I think you'd find similar responses.

Fact of the matter is, aside from yours (and a scant few others) these guitars have been literally falling apart; frets falling out, tuners that don't tune or bust, etc. etc. I'm glad you are ok with yours, realize it is what it is, and I apologize if any comments I made offended you personally. That wasn't my intent. Heck, I even had some nice things to say about Esteban's playing!

But this really is an apples to oranges situation-not just with small builders, but with major builders like Martin, Taylor, Larrivee, etc., not to mention imports like Washburns, Takamines, Blueridges, Ibanez, Alvarez, the Godin guitars, and on and on. For the most part (again, yours excepted) there simply IS no comparison.

(and here I said two pages ago it was my LAST post on the subject--what a hypocrite I've become! )

1992 Taylor 855
2000 Deering Sierra

2009 Recording King RD-16SN ~ "utility"
2009 Martin HD-28
Old 08-18-2005, 09:06 AM

Wink Personally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkstrum
dthumb-clearly you have a point, and I suppose to an extent there's some truth in it-but, you have to realize the "Esteban" situation is unique (and I've seen similar disses about Walmart guitars, Gibson's plans to sell to Sam's Club, etc.) so don't feel persecuted. I believe Estebans are about the ONLY guitars ever reviewed on Harmony Central that garner the kinds of comments they do. Most EVERYONE gives "their purchase" 9's and 10's. I can't think of any other guitar that uniformly gets 1's, or sometimes 0's!

A few years back, Roy Clark was hawking some guitar on an infomercial. It may well have been before the advent of internet forums--or near the beginning. I'm sure these guitars weren't very decent either, and if he was out there now doing the same thing, I think you'd find similar responses.

Fact of the matter is, aside from yours (and a scant few others) these guitars have been literally falling apart; frets falling out, tuners that don't tune or bust, etc. etc. I'm glad you are ok with yours, realize it is what it is, and I apologize if any comments I made offended you personally. That wasn't my intent. Heck, I even had some nice things to say about Esteban's playing!

But this really is an apples to oranges situation-not just with small builders, but with major builders like Martin, Taylor, Larrivee, etc., not to mention imports like Washburns, Takamines, Blueridges, Ibanez, Alvarez, the Godin guitars, and on and on. For the most part (again, yours excepted) there simply IS no comparison.

(and here I said two pages ago it was my LAST post on the subject--what a hypocrite I've become! )
I really am sorry for those who have been duped or ripped off by this guy. I guess my father-in-law got lucky and I in turn but, that doesn't make what I hear has happened to others ok. Sometimes thing go right even when we don't mean for them to.
Neither you nor anyone else here has offended me, personally. It's not like I thought this to be a wonderful instrument that I'd inherited after all...just a thing...so to speak. A thing that has SOME qualities of a decent guitar..even if not the norm for Estaban.
And yes, I do realize that the Estaban fiasco is unique but, the "tone" of some of the responses is far from the gentlemanly behaviour we usually see here. Suppose it had been a prized item of sentimental value? This, by the way, is not the only time I have noticed "a bunch of atitude" here..it is just the most extreme and glowing example of "group feeding frenzy".
I think, all things considered that the old rule applies...if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing.
Perhaps a better way to have adressed this issue would have been to post a thread giving facts and reviews and warnings to potential customers.
Oddly, I still haven;t seen one of those commercials but, I'd love to.
And you say the guy can play? I wonder what HE plays? And if he got a great deal on his insurance?
Old 08-18-2005, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnByker
So where do I get one of those new solid wood Martin Estaban signature models I've been hearing about on this forum? Sounds like a great deal.

sorry, didn't mean to start any rumors.
I suspect that after reading this forum there will be Martin Esteban guitars cropping up all over ebay. Should run the price up considerably to say...$150. May even be signed by C.F. Esteban.

"If there are no guitars in Heaven....then, it won't be Heaven."
Old 08-18-2005, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdiel
This Esteban thread is getting pretty long and drawn out.

I hear Michelle Branch now plays Estebans but she's had an ES system installed in it (but it doesn't work).

(heheehee....that should keep this going....oh, one more thing to make sure....)

Dave Matthews sucks.

BTW....what are the best kind of strings to use on an Esteban.
I think Estebans should be sold without any strings attached.

"If there are no guitars in Heaven....then, it won't be Heaven."
Old 08-18-2005, 04:49 PM

I finally got to see the Geico commercial featuring Esteban. Hey, more power to the guy if he's gaining that kind of celebrity through his efforts.

Play on Steve!

Kevin Gallagher/Omega Guitars

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion