The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-23-2017, 03:01 PM

You could try one of the Line 6 products into a small full range pa speaker. You might be surprised and like the effects too. Maybe worth exploring?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-23-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
...I should be able to set my Twin up low volume with an SM57 and be as loud or even less then the sax and drums. But that would allow me to at least still use my amp...if worse came to worse I'd just want something very stripped down and simple like a Fender Twin model that I could plug my effects pedal board into then off to the PA...
Um, how about a Deluxe Reverb and no DI...?
Old 01-23-2017, 03:10 PM

I see the electric guitar as being a component of the band which really needs its own amp. (Other instruments aren't really effected by tone or effects).

I played through a PA once as part of a band consisting of a bass player, acoustic player/singer and myself playing lead on Telecaster and I felt my guitar got lost, even though I kept telling Sound to "turn me up".
Old 01-23-2017, 04:04 PM

Well... I do feel for you.

But from your band's perspective, they just bought PS4s and don't want to play the last version of Modern Warfare just because you still insist on using the PS3

The only thing remotely close to Electric guitarist's infatuation with tubes is real drums vs. drum machines. The rest of the band doesn't get what feels to us like an infinite range of touch sensitivity when a power stage is pushed...

The pragmatic approach is to sell something to fund a Kemper, and really dive in and figure the technology out, and plug that into a PA.

Again, I do feel for you. Don't expect any allies in the band though. But you should whisper in the drummer's ear "When they came for the guitar amps, I did nothing. When they came for my Ludwigs, there was nobody to speak for me..." Because that day is coming...
Old 01-23-2017, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

The Tech21 pedals get really good reviews. Yes they are modelers, but I believe they are analog.

http://tech21nyc.com/products/sansam...erseries.html#
Old 01-23-2017, 04:54 PM

Google "onstage/amp iso box" and you'll see a few choices. Good ventilation will need to be addressed depending on your amp. Homemade is also something to consider.

FYI, here is the popular option for shields: http://www.clearsonic.com
Old 01-23-2017, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post

Do they make strictly amp model type things? I see a lot of effect units that have speaker/amp/cab models in them but I have my own effects. So if worse came to worse I'd just want something very stripped down and simple like a Fender Twin model that I could plug my effects pedal board into then off to the PA. I don't really want to do it, and probably won't, but it, would be a slight compromise.
Certainly. Check out Tech 21 Character pedals. In my case, I use their Oxford model pedal, set clean, as my backup "amp" if my amp goes down on a gig. Plug your pedalboard into the Oxford (which is basically a pre-amp with a cab simulation built in), then go straight to the board. Most people would prefer the "Blonde" model, but I like the somewhat more aggressive clean I get from the Oxford.

Spend time on Google with phrases like "gig without an amp", you'll find lots of other options out there. Radial makes one that looks really cool (I don't remember the name), as does Traynor, probably many others. Many people are starting to use a Quilter amp in this capacity: the 101 is around $300 if I recall correctly.

If I were starting from scratch (I already had the Oxford pedal), I'd go with the Tech 21 Flyrig Five RK (the Ritchie Kotzen model) , plug my pedalboard into it, and call it a day.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
I believe that IEMs (and modelers) are only best used when you have competent FOH support.
This sums it up perfectly. If FOH support is only average, you are NEVER going to get a good sound. I have two sons who work in production and both recommend a mic. on the Amp, forget DI. I've played with both and also with good and average FOH. Much prefer a AMP that I can hear and let FOH worry about just that; Front of House. If you have a good tech, sound on stage is great, otherwise, most of the time you are S.O.O.L. and must rely on your own gear to hear what you are playing.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:42 PM

Get a Line 6 Helix, Fractal AX-8, or Kemper and be done with it. I guarantee you can't tell the difference between the high end modelers and the real thing. People who sell tube amps for a living can't....

2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
2007 Gibson SJ-200 True Vintage
Old 01-24-2017, 07:28 AM

Maybe once we get a record deal I can afford a Kemper and a good FOH. But for now we are on our own.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Um, how about a Deluxe Reverb and no DI...?
I've got a 22 watt Mesa I could use too. The Twin though is almost the same on 10 as it is on 2, clean all the way. So it's not like I need high volume or amp break up. But that's a fine amp for sure.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:03 AM

here is another ISO box

jet city check musicians friend,
Old 01-24-2017, 08:24 AM

Here is the new Radial box I referred to rather cryptically above.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JDXDirectDrv
Old 01-24-2017, 08:32 AM

I once auditioned for a band that had ampless practices and gigs. Didn't get the gig, but the practice was kind of cool. Sounded like we had everything cranked and we didn't have to worry about the neighbors calling the cops.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:28 AM

Playing 'rock' (I assume classic rock and/or original/new rock, bot acoustic-folk-indie stuff) with acoustic drums, it makes no sense to not have both bass and guitar amps.
If you are playing small clubs, there will be no FOH soundman, I imagine that someone in the band is adjusting the sound from the mixer on the side of the stage. If you don't have subs on the PA, then the bass is going to be anemic, but using subs for small clubs is seldom needed otherwise.
It sounds like the 'band' has made all these decisions already, so either you go with a modeler of some kind, or say 'bye bye'.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-24-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Playing 'rock' (I assume classic rock and/or original/new rock, bot acoustic-folk-indie stuff) with acoustic drums, it makes no sense to not have both bass and guitar amps.
If you are playing small clubs, there will be no FOH soundman, I imagine that someone in the band is adjusting the sound from the mixer on the side of the stage. If you don't have subs on the PA, then the bass is going to be anemic, but using subs for small clubs is seldom needed otherwise.
It sounds like the 'band' has made all these decisions already, so either you go with a modeler of some kind, or say 'bye bye'.
Doood! I'm gonna pretty much cut and paste this in an email because that is precisely what I was thinking. I'll cut out the bye bye stuff though

We are all original band that would fall under classic/new rock to include some stuff that would pass as punk and even jazz... Gotta have that for the sax and flute player

So yeah there is a lot going on and we have to do it all ourselves. We usually recruit someone to keep an ear out on the first couple of songs and come up on stage to tell us what needs to be balanced out front. But that's about it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars