The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-23-2017, 06:52 AM
Charter Member

Default Speed Rant

Plainly put I have issues with fast guitar playing. I have always had something against it but I also realize my age comes into play now. My first influence on guitar playing was old "slow hand" back when he played a Les Paul with John Mayall. After that it was Green and Mick. Lately I've been listening to old Norman Blake picking and even some of that I find to fast. And he is one of the few flat pickers that have a style or a feel in his picking. I watch some you tube guitar reviews and find it played without expression and you can't really get a sense of what the guitar may sound like because there are so many notes flying around. When a musical instrument is played with the sentiment of "look I can do this" I have no use to hear it after 20 seconds.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 01-23-2017, 07:00 AM

I guess I'm the opposite. I find that there are moments in songs for some slow passages as well as fast ones also. A mix can really help move a song along and help with mood, same with dynamics.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
Plainly put I have issues with fast guitar playing. I have always had something against it but I also realize my age comes into play now. My first influence on guitar playing was old "slow hand" back when he played a Les Paul with John Mayall. After that it was Green and Mick. Lately I've been listening to old Norman Blake picking and even some of that I find to fast. And he is one of the few flat pickers that have a style or a feel in his picking. I watch some you tube guitar reviews and find it played without expression and you can't really get a sense of what the guitar may sound like because there are so many notes flying around. When a musical instrument is played with the sentiment of "look I can do this" I have no use to hear it after 20 seconds.
Why do you assume "look I can do this" is automatically the sentiment ??

There is crappy fast playing and incredibly musical fast playing, not hard to tell the difference, really.

I would kill to be able to play like Norman Blake..........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 01-23-2017, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
...There is crappy fast playing and incredibly musical fast playing, not hard to tell the difference, really. ...
I agree.

I saw Yngwie Malmsteen in concert and he was horrible - nothing but an ear-exhausting tirade of notes lacking all emotion and musicality.

Conversely, this is my favorite acoustic piece and a rather fast one, full of feelings and emotion. I've taken up the mantle of learning this one this year so it's fresh in my mind.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 01-23-2017, 07:24 AM

I'm not a fan of "fast" for fast sake. There are a ton of players that I don't listen to simply because all I hear is speed notes. My preference for some emphasis on the actual melody.

But I giggle every time I hear Ralph Townsend rip through passages on his nylon stringed guitar. Every note from his right hand is clear. I am awestruck by his fingering ability.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 01-23-2017, 07:28 AM

Okey-dokey then.....here is a special tune that should be just right for you:

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 01-23-2017, 07:35 AM

well there is "speed" for the sake of playing fast, and there's playing fast when it's right for the song.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:38 AM

I'm not going to list names, but I agree that there are players with impressive technique that I enjoy very much - for about 30 seconds - because they can really play, but don't often play much music.

But I also agree that Rik Emmett Midsummers Daydream (above) is a wonderful example of technique that serves the music, and that's wonderful to hear.

It takes a little self-control to use it where it seems to fit, rather than everywhere.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 01-23-2017, 07:50 AM

I agree. I can be impressed with well done fast playing but I don't like listening to frenetically fast playing, well done or not.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 01-23-2017, 07:58 AM

I like both if they are done tastefully and different genres beg to be played differently. There isn't much of a way to play an upbeat Bluegrass tune without a lot of intricate faltpicking and runs. There are a lot of guys that can play fast and tastefully - Bryan Sutton comes to mind.

On the other hand, I tend to gravitate more towards a nuanced approach to the Blues. Even though I love me some SRV, I usually prefer the approach of someone like BB King. He just says more with less.

Joe Bonamassa is incredibly talented but i feel he goes into the "look, I can do this" realm fairly often. Then again, perhaps I am just envious since I can't do it.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 01-23-2017, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

....i have no problem with players that can tear it up speedwise...it makes no sense to hold that against any player and/or limit my appreciation of music based on what tempo a player can handle....and of course "handling" the tempo is of utmost importance...

...i have heard players that are all flash and not all that musical and i can understand why one might believe that their desire to play fast is somehow hindering their musical expression...but its either sounding good to me or it isn't....would a speedy gonzales sound better if he or she slowed down a bit???....maybe...maybe not...i dunno....depends on the player i think...

...i will say that my personal playing is sometimes limited by my inability to take the tempo up a notch...not better or worse...just limited...
Old 01-23-2017, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

Speed, slow vs fast, dynamics, loud vs soft, accenting of notes etc, are two really important ways of adding expression to music. The more range you have, the better as far as I'm concerned. How effectively you use those abilities, is always open to interpretation. Wish I could play faster.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Even though I love me some SRV, I usually prefer the approach of someone like BB King. He just says more with less.
Yeah -- know what you mean.

I know this is not the point of the thread, but ...

I have a real problem playing slow. Which is not to say I have great technical skill that allows me to get the strings smoking.
It's just that whatever I'm playing, I tend to play it too fast. Anybody have a remedy for this?
Old 01-23-2017, 09:24 AM

Besides, old "Slow Hand" was never very slow. Slow is relative; it can be boring and it can be wonderful. Same with fast.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:26 AM

I like balance.

Speed can be great. I generally don't take comments that suggest "speed" equals "unmusical" or "not emotional" very seriously. Just folks trying to rationalize what they like/can't do.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion