The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-23-2017, 12:57 AM

Default Any Seiko Enthusiasts ?

I have been looking at Seiko dive watches and am a bit confused. Are the watches with "Movt Japan" on the face of a better build or the watches with "Made in Japan" on the face even better quality ? Are the watches with only the movement model printed on the face just as good ?
Old 01-23-2017, 07:28 AM

Are you referring to a quartz movement ?
Old 01-23-2017, 09:39 AM

If I were looking at a Seiko diver I would only buy a PADI pepsi.
But a diver doesn't fit me since I prefer 39 millimeters and I live nowhere near the ocean.

My Made in Japan Alpinist on a German band.

Last edited by Song; 07-08-2019 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napman41 View Post
Are you referring to a quartz movement ?
I was considering a mechanical movement.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:01 PM

I'd look for a model that has the 6R15 caliber movement. It's a great design and very reliable.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napman41 View Post
I'd look for a model that has the 6R15 caliber movement. It's a great design and very reliable.
Does "Japan" have to appear on the face or case back for it to be a "better quality" watch, or are they all made the same?
Old 01-23-2017, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

"Movement made in Japan" means that the movement was made there, but the case, etc. and assembly was done elsewhere.

"Made in Japan" means the movement, etc. and the assembly were done in Japan.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Growler View Post
"Movement made in Japan" means that the movement was made there, but the case, etc. and assembly was done elsewhere.

"Made in Japan" means the movement, etc. and the assembly were done in Japan.
Exactly. I've only ever gotten the Seiko made in Japan and have not had any problems with them. I have 2 mechanical ones that wind with movement and one costed $90 to replace parts that no longer worked after 15 years and the other one is still going strong after 20 years.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:33 PM

I bought an SARB065 about a year ago, it has an 6R15 movement, and it stacks up well even next to my 60 year old Omega Constellations. Lot's of value for the price. I am sort of amazed people are still wearing cheapo quartz or "smart" watches when you can get these for such a reasonable price.

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 01-24-2017, 10:31 AM

I have a black monster in a drawer that needs to be repaired, It never kept good time. I prefer my Citizen eco-drive for my dive watch.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:52 AM

My preference is the Scurfa Diver One Stainless. Style is a matter of personal preference but I like this one. Sapphire crystal, ceramic bezel, 40mm case, solid stainless band which is comfortable.
The stainless bands on Seiko were never comfortable for me.
Estimated battery life is 45 months. I purchased case back removal tools online very reasonably and use a small tube of dielectric grease aka silicone grease to lubricate the gasket and preserve water resistance.
It's on my calendar to replace around the 3 year mark.
Should be a very durable timepiece. It's a jeweled movement with a very substantial steel plate to hold the gear endpins, and it's accurate enough that no re setting is required apart from daylight savings time changes.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

I'm a huge fan of Seiko watches I am lucky enough to have several. My Seiko divers watch which is a 6309 model I bought in 1976 and it is still going strong I am on my fifth strap and the only other problem I have had with it was the crown wheel came off in 1982 been going ever since. Highly recommend their automatic watches.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:42 PM

I've still got the watch I had as a kid, it's had about 30 straps, 10 new glasses, 2 new cases and 5 movements, but it's still a great watch.

Nah! Just kidding, bit like the old axe joke, 3 new heads and two handles but a good axe.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:02 AM

I've always liked a few models and am attracted to some of their current mechanical models not so expensive.

My issue with mechanical watches is the service cost so I've ended up with a few watches that are truly special in some way such as was grandfather's, or not so common.

I started my change of thought with a battery powered threaded crown Citizen. This comment sort of says it but it's a pair of Swiss watches that I need to get serviced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Scott View Post
I have a black monster in a drawer that needs to be repaired, It never kept good time. I prefer my Citizen eco-drive for my dive watch.
Are you a diver? That might influence what your best choices are.

Now I'll confess to what's really changed my thoughts on watches - Apple Watch Series 2. It didn't cost as much as repair/service of my mechanical watches and has proven nicer and more useful than expected.

FWIW, if you're not married to Seiko and want a mechanical watch there are interesting choices if you look at the Swiss military style and/or Ollech & Wajs watches. For quite a while I've really liked an O&W with ETA movement that was not expensive and is a really nice rugged watch.

Have fun shopping.

P.S. I might have to blame Herb Hunter for our having his & hers Apple Watches and our mechanical watches not being used.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:00 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I love my Seiko 7A28 Chronos. That's the quartz movement that nearly bankrupted Seiko because it was so reliable. I've got three of them that all gave over twenty years of service but it is time for all of them to be serviced.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic