The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-21-2017, 03:51 AM

Default Taylor Guitars & Andy Powers

So it's been awhile or some years since I've even looked at a Taylor acoustic but a recent trip to GC had me curious lol. Anyways what does everyone think of Taylor Acoustics and Andy Powers? Do you believe that newer models such as the 2017 Taylor 800 Series that Andy Powers has voiced will be better? I see that Andy has basically tweaked every series now. So now that as it seems Bob Taylor has handed Andy Powers the keys to the kingdom do you like the new Taylors more? Are newer Taylors focusing on mids and lows more compared to previous times with lots of highs? Thanks
Old 01-21-2017, 05:34 AM
Charter Member

Hey 3317, Welcome to the AGF
short answer "YES"
Anyway, I've had around 40 Taylor's (Don't Ask ) between the years 1998 and 2015.
All I can say is with each different top bracing change their acoustic's have became " Richer" more pronounced , More top movement, stronger ! Warmer and have more volume.
They all have that Taylor sound .
Their standard steel strings have had 4 different brace patterns now. (800's up)
But the latest 2015-16s have had wood thickness adjustments depending on wood type.
The newer one do sound very good. The old one's just are different, not in a bad way. just less boom.

Last edited by GTomcan; 01-21-2017 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:02 AM

They've changed or evolved somehow (warmer, less brittle in the upper end?)
Whether YOU like it or not is up to YOU, everyone hears things differently, after all.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

I believe the evolution with Andy has been the GO, followed by the changes to the 500 all hog series (2013), the 800 series (2014), the 600 series(2015), the 500 series (2016), and the 300 series (also 2016) with nice LTD offerings on the 400 series recently. There is also the recent DLX options for the 800 and 200 series. A 2014 800 series I believe is essentially the same build spec as the most recent.

Not sure about tone changes but my 2014 812 seems more responsive than my 2013 814 was. Sorry Martin guys but I can't find an all hog Martin that will move me beyond my 2013 522 but I do believe Martin has the better spruce/hog offerings.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 01-21-2017, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

I've played Taylor guitar's since 1997. I've owned 12. My first Taylor was a pre-NT neck '97 410, which was a wonderful guitar. It was richer than a couple Taylor's I owned in the early to mid 2000's. I now own a 2014 810 and a 2015 320 (and a GS Mini). I love what Taylor has done relative to the build tweaks (bracing, relief route, etc.) over the years, and I greatly appreciate what Andy Powers is bringing to the table. The re-designs/re-voicings are, IMO, an improvement, and I feel that Taylor guitar's sound (and look) as good as ever.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
I believe the evolution with Andy has been the GO, followed by the changes to the 500 all hog series (2013), the 800 series (2014), the 600 series(2015), the 500 series (2016), and the 300 series (also 2016) with nice LTD offerings on the 400 series recently. There is also the recent DLX options for the 800 and 200 series. A 2014 800 series I believe is essentially the same build spec as the most recent.

Not sure about tone changes but my 2014 812 seems more responsive than my 2013 814 was. Sorry Martin guys but I can't find an all hog Martin that will move me beyond my 2013 522 but I do believe Martin has the better spruce/hog offerings.
And the 2016 changes to the 700 series, which added lutz, protein glues, and performance bracing.
Maestro Singa, Sinker Redwood / Wenge (incoming)

Gone but not forgotten:
Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, sundry others.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:34 AM

I haven't actually played a re-voiced 800 series, but I played a number of the old version in GC. I must admit, I was surprised when, to great fanfare, it was announced that they were going to re-invent the 800s. The 814s I played in GC always sounded pretty gorgeous, and I mean that acoustically. They were rich-sounding, had nice sparkle, and produced a nice rosewood thump on the basses. I remember once comparing a 414, 614, and an 814 side-by-side in GC to see if the 814 deserved it's higher price tag than the 414. Oh yes, to my ears, it definitely did. The thing was looked felt and sounded like a genuine high-end instrument.

So what were they doing by 're-voicing' them? Beats me. It seemed a bit like re-inventing the wheel and messing with the design. Maybe the new ones really do sound better. But maybe the whole re-voicing thing was Taylor pulling back after a series of relative failures in innovation. The foray into electric guitars had spectacularly fallen flat on its face, and Taylor had had its nose rubbed in the fact that, big company though it was, it weren't no Gibson! Powers' baby, the Grand Orchestra, had also turned out to be a bit of a damp squib that failed to appeal to the Taylor base in any significant way. I suspect it may have been as a result of these ill-fated projects that the company returned to a product that was already a huge success and to draw attention to that. "Look, we're the people that gave you the 814 ... and now it's even better!" Taylor had been pushing the limits for some time in new directions and not getting very far. Maybe it was time to count their blessings for a while.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:55 AM

There was a certain amount of getting off track, yes. Taylor has always been compared to Martin tone-wise, and been described as "bright, modern" and sometimes with less flattering adjectives. Re-voicing is an attempt to address that, and maybe poach a little more market share in the process. Playability and innovation was always their strong suit.

For example, I've always thought of the Martin PA series as intended to look like 814's while the newer Taylor's are intended to sound more like a Martin. Product improvement is a good thing. I'd take a 2017 F-150 over a 1984 model any day.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Andy Powers has taken a great line of guitars and made them even greater. Bob Taylor is to be congratulated for putting aside any issues of ego (not saying there were any, but still) and choosing the right guy for the job of moving Taylor forward in the 21st century...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 01-21-2017, 02:53 PM

Got to say I love what's happening at Taylor at the moment. But back when Andy Powers revoiced the 800 series I attended a Taylor roadshow and they played an original 814 back to back against a revoiced 814.

I along with the majority of the audience preferred the sound of the original!

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 01-21-2017, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Taylors evolve for the better and Andy Powers is the latest primary reason why.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 01-21-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick84 View Post
Got to say I love what's happening at Taylor at the moment. But back when Andy Powers revoiced the 800 series I attended a Taylor roadshow and they played an original 814 back to back against a revoiced 814.

Interesting.
Old 01-21-2017, 03:33 PM

I'm pretty happy with my several pre-Andy Taylor's, but if something newer and re-voiced struck my fancy, I'd be all over it.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:04 PM

I've yet to play a Powers revolved Taylor although I would like to try one. I agree with ewailing. What is it that's so improved? I haven't played many guitars (factory guitars,have very little boutique experience)better than the DN8 I own or the 710ce I once owned. These were both pre CV bracing models as well. Both these guitars were warm and boomed with a deep bass but had that Taylor clarity.

Are the new Taylors boomier with less clarity? I would love to try one and am still a Taylor fan. Powers seems like a very nice guy as well as very talented as a luthier and a musician from videos I've watched. I would just like to know what it is that makes the new Taylors improved?
Old 01-21-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick84 View Post

This is what I'm hearing from two credible guitar shops (I won't mention names) who have dropped Taylor Guitars. Word is Andy Powers took over most operations and Andy wanted more hands on building but machining was pushed by board members for more sales numbers and build numbers. Andy wasn't to happy with being forced to use more machining for sales numbers and build numbers. Andy wanted more hands on build but still utilizing machining when needed. Andy just wanted more hands on than what is currently.

I do wonder the future of Taylor although I don't see them going away but just wondering. Investors killed Breedlove years back and now being owned by Two Old Hippies aka Bedell Guitars. Larry Breedlove left the company after letting investors into the company due to financial reasons and the investors in turn wanted more sales numbers, more machining and less hands on. Then after Two Old Hippies aka Bedell Guitars came along and drained it more. If anyone who knows this company well enough knows what I'm talking about. I use to love Breedlove back in the day but now their kind of blah. There good but nothing special.

Anyways back to Taylor and Andy Powers. I really feel bad that Andy didn't get what he wanted but instead had to go the faster and cheaper route for investors wanting high turn out and sales numbers. It's even more sad he knows and acknowledges it. For example lots of creditable musicians leaning towards the old Taylors vs newer Taylors. When investors are involved anytime it's about sales numbers. Let's hope that soon into the future Andy will be allowed more hands on and less about sales numbers.

Last edited by Glennwillow; 01-22-2017 at 11:27 AM. Reason: no brand bashing please

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion