The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-17-2017, 06:23 PM

Default Session DI for electric guitar?

Anyone tried the LR Baggs Session DI Acoustic Preamp for their electric? I bought it for my acoustic setup, the comp EQ is pretty nice. Here's a blurb about it:

COMPRESSION EQ
Unlike standard compression that can squash the entire range of your signal, the Session DI’s Comp EQ features 3 narrowly focused bands of compression that tame common problematic frequencies and uncover the voice of your guitar. The low, mid, and high frequency compressors are essentially “touch-sensitive” EQs that respond in real-time to your dynamics. The harder you strum, the more they compress and vice versa.

I recently bought a Baggs M80 sound hole pickup and wanted to try it out with my electric guitar rig since it's a magnetic pickup. Just for fun, I removed my Empress EQ (see sig) and stuck the Session in that spot. With all my other pedals off, my M80 acoustic... sounds very acoustic. But once I kick on my Ethos and a drive or two, it begins to sound very electric. The CompEQ is an interesting concept and I wonder if that principle works for electric guitar like it does acoustic.

Anyway, I'd be interested in your thoughts!
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars