The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-16-2017, 04:16 PM

Default looking at 2 guitars

Fender would definitely have a quicker resale value, other then that, the yamaha seems better quality- i just wonder which you would prefer for standard/classic rock and country- both guitars are in great shape
Fender MIM strat, but the HSS model
Yamaha Pacifica 611VFM-- has the push/pull humbucker with P90
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 01-16-2017, 04:45 PM

This might help:

http://www.strat-talk.com/threads/ya...andard.386668/
Old 01-18-2017, 07:07 PM

my headache is coming to an end- finally- the yamaha is light years ahead of the fender MIM strat, actually the yamaha is a fine piece of art by all means, only thing was with my implanted hearing, it just didnt quite cut it, with that being said- the MIM strat seems to be of very decent quality- MUCH better then any squier i tried, it actually is fairly new and looks it, included a fender bag with a headstock tuner, with all the paperwork in hand- so i cant see any issues to cause concern- price ended up at $275, i didnt want to spend much, but after thinking, id be hardpressed to find one as nice in this price range, AND- the few extra bucks takes you out of chinese $200 guitar market
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 01-19-2017, 09:22 AM

IF you can get a MIM strat for $275 (with case?), go for it. But if you're doing a lot of country, look for a Tele.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-19-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
IF you can get a MIM strat for $275 (with case?), go for it. But if you're doing a lot of country, look for a Tele.
A Stratocaster is more versatile and will do country almost as good as a Telecaster will. (Most Stratocaster bridge pickups in particular are hot enough for country "twang").

Last edited by Steel and wood; 01-19-2017 at 10:37 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:36 AM

gawd, i'm worse then woman buying shoes! i didn't get it, why? honestly i don't think it would have fulfilled me as a keeper , one thing, i always run across MIM strats for about $250, gig bags are cheap and shouldn't influence a sale, other thing was the candy apple red color or whatever it was, couple scratches and it looks like crap then, near impossible to touch it up, black- white- or woodtone was in my head anyway, and it was the HSS which finally turned me off wanting the SSS
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 01-20-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
(Most Stratocaster bridge pickups in particular are hot enough for country "twang").
You missed that it was an HSS.

MIMs are usually in the $350-375 range around here, if they're in decent shape.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-20-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
You missed that it was an HSS.

MIMs are usually in the $350-375 range around here, if they're in decent shape.
Okay ... good point!
Old 01-22-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpspitfire View Post
my headache is coming to an end- finally- the yamaha is light years ahead of the fender MIM strat, actually the yamaha is a fine piece of art by all means, only thing was with my implanted hearing, it just didnt quite cut it, with that being said- the MIM strat seems to be of very decent quality- MUCH better then any squier i tried, it actually is fairly new and looks it, included a fender bag with a headstock tuner, with all the paperwork in hand- so i cant see any issues to cause concern- price ended up at $275, i didnt want to spend much, but after thinking, id be hardpressed to find one as nice in this price range, AND- the few extra bucks takes you out of chinese $200 guitar market

Perfect. Good price for a used MIM these days. You don't seem them for under $300 often any more.

If it has the original pickups, here's a tip: Lower the pickups almost down flush with the body and play with the pickup height from there. Also, depending on the amp, the sound of the MIM ceramics is often benefited by lowering (scooping) the mids a bit. You may or may not like that type of EQ better, but what does it cost you to mess with the amps tone knobs a bit?

Did you get rosewood or maple neck?
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 01-22-2017, 09:02 PM

i think you missed my decision- i did pass on it, i just felt i couldnt consider it a keeper
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 01-22-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpspitfire View Post
i think you missed my decision- i did pass on it, i just felt i couldnt consider it a keeper
Sorry. I did miss that. Perhaps you should be looking for an American Standard. The Professional model is out and the Standards and Elites (if you can still find them) are deeply discounted now. You could probably leverage your way into a good deal on a used MIA. IMO that would be ideal.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars