The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-15-2017, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

Default Still Downsizing-Kind Of A NGD

This John Mayer Strat that started with me as a new one in 2011. It was brand new at the CG with a bowed neck. It was around for a long time and overpriced for a defective guitar. I considered it a parts guitar and offered accordingly and the offer was accepted. The Incase Bag is awesome.

My first pass was having the neck steamed and it did work but eventually stared to bow again. I was thinking about what to do with it and 2 years ago a 30 in scale conversion neck came up on CL and I decided to make it into a bass VI. It was very cool but didn't get much use. The first photo shows it in the bass VI version.

Last week a Musikraft 24 3/4 in. conversion neck showed up CL, I contacted the fellow and ended buying it including the nut and Schaller Locking Tuners in Black with Pearl knobs. I have recently grown fond of short scale necks and thought that this would be a perfect Revision B.

It took a couple of hours including a perfect setup and it is very nice, everything dial in as it should. The neck has an Ebony fretboard and the fret work is as it should be. Now that I have tested it I will finish the neck in Ambertone in the next month or so. It still looks like a new guitar. Here is a photo of revision B with the other necks that it has adorned. -- Darwin

Bass VI

Revision B- Original neck on the left.

Last edited by Darwin; 01-16-2017 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:20 PM

I like that ebony...I had to put a new neck on my mid-90s USA Roadhouse strat and found one from Mighty-Mite with an ebony board w/MOP dots. That ebony on a strat is better feeling to me than either rosewood or maple and looks great too.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 01-16-2017, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Ha now it is sort of a right hand Jimmi style . Looks like a Dinosaur Pic ? That's what I use

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 01-16-2017, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

Max, I have always preferred Maple but the Ebony does have a nice feel, very smooth.

Kev, that is a Fender pick. Hadn't even thought about the Jimi style! -- Darwin
Old 02-10-2017, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

Update: I nave finished tinting the neck and am ready for the clearcoats. Here are a couple of photos. -- Darwin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars