The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-23-2016, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Default Emerald X7 String Choice

Howdy,

I'm looking for what people may have swapped out on their X7 for a slightly fuller sound.

I own an X20 and X20-12 String and have really been happy with these guitars. I just found a "Too good to pass up" Deal on a used like new X7 so I grabbed it.

Of course I know it's going to sound smaller and it does sound good right now. I find myself playing it out of tune a little and I really don't have a heavy playing hand or fretting hand. I suspect with the shorter scale a lot of people bump up to a set of mediums which I will certainly try.

Just wanted to know if other people experimented and what they ended up liking more and why.

Thanks for your time!
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 12-23-2016, 06:44 PM

Pretty certain I have EJ-16s on mine.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 12-23-2016, 07:37 PM

I've also just got a used X7 , Great li'l geetar ! I was going to ask the same question.

I am pretty sure these are mediums that came with her , some kinda bronze, but I don't know what brand.

I'm used to playing Martin PB mediums (13-56) on most of my other guitars and will prolly stick a set of them on my new baby when the present set are knackered.

BUT, I would be interested to hear what other longer term owners have found work well on these guitars .

Of course, I've been around here long enough to know the stock answer is -
"Try as many brands as you like and find the one that suits your style , yadda yadda , it's a cheap enough experiment, .... it's fun to try stuff out,,, blah blah.."

Well to hell with that ! If someone else here has already had all that fun then I hope they'll spill the beans and help a buddy.

MERRY CHRISTMAS !

Last edited by Long Jon; 12-23-2016 at 08:07 PM.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:19 PM

I'm pretty sure Alistair recommends mediums (13s) for the X7, especially given the short scale length. But I favor lighter strings, using custom lights (11s) on my GX, and Elixir Polyweb lights (12s) on my X7. I feel as if the polywebs (as opposed to the more common nanos) help give the small bodied X7 a bit more warmth.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
I've also just got a used X7 , Great li'l geetar ! I was going to ask the same question.

I am pretty sure these are mediums that came with her , some kinda bronze, but I don't know what brand.

I'm used to playing Martin PB mediums (13-56) on most of my other guitars and will prolly stick a set of them on my new baby when the present set are knackered.

BUT, I would be interested to hear what other longer term owners have found work well on these guitars .

Of course, I've been around here long enough to know the stock answer is -
"Try as many brands as you like and find the one that suits your style , yadda yadda , it's a cheap enough experiment, .... it's fun to try stuff out,,, blah blah.."

Well to hell with that ! If someone else here has already had all that fun then I hope they'll spill the beans and help a buddy.

MERRY CHRISTMAS !
Well, since you wrote the rules and your wishes.....

I would throw a set of Martin Retro LJ's Choice strings on it. You will still get the power of mediums but the slinky feel of monel. I find monel offers a nice mellow tone to carbon fiber once broken in- at least on my RainSong. This is a serious suggestion, but give the monels a chance to break in before you right them off, they start to sound freakin' great! (sorry, you asked for 2 pence and I gave you a nickel)

Merry Christmas
Old 12-24-2016, 02:54 AM

When I recently received my X7 a small tag came with it which stated it was strung with D'Addario EXP Coated Phosphor Bronze, but the gauge was not mentioned.
When I ordered my X20, I asked Sean what gauge strings came on the X7 and the X20.
He said,
The gauges we put on the X7 are .012, .016, .026, .036, .046, .056
The strings on the X20 used are D'Addario EXP 11.

So far, all acoustic strings I've tried, have too much string noise (squeak)for me.
At the present time, for my six acoustic guitars, I use D'Addario Chromes (flat wound strings), which are meant for electric guitars for some types of rock music and jazz.
I like the mellow tone these flat wound strings provide, and they never squeak.
On my X7 I've tried D'Addario ECG26 (.013s) tuned down D-d and even C#-c#, I was surprised how well the small body of the X7 could handle those low note so well.
Tuned down D-d total string tension is 127.17 pounds, down to C#-c# total string tension is 113.27 pounds.
I also tried C-c total string tension 100.92 pounds, which was much too loose for me.
Presently I have D'addario ECG24 (.011s) installed on my X7, at E-e tuning and the total string tension is 118.16 pounds, this is a very comfortable string tension for me, and I really like the sound, but they certainly do not sound like a regular set of acoustic guitar strings, which is okay for me, but may not work well for most acoustic guitar players.

Last edited by 121; 12-29-2016 at 02:11 AM. Reason: added present strings used on X7
Old 12-24-2016, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Well, since you wrote the rules and your wishes.....

I would throw a set of Martin Retro LJ's Choice strings on it. You will still get the power of mediums but the slinky feel of monel. I find monel offers a nice mellow tone to carbon fiber once broken in- at least on my RainSong. This is a serious suggestion, but give the monels a chance to break in before you right them off, they start to sound freakin' great! (sorry, you asked for 2 pence and I gave you a nickel)

Merry Christmas
Hi Sean. Monels were exactly the possibility I was thinking of trying.
I have been meaning to try them out on my dread for a while now.

Naturally, I'd go with LJ's Choice rather than TR's and kid my friends that these are the strings Martin custom-makes for me !

Cheers ! L.J
Old 12-24-2016, 06:05 AM

Very interested in this thread.

I also acquired a slightly used X7, and have been trying to get a fuller, less "twangy" sound out of it. (I play with a flatpick, a fairly heavy-handed classic country or bluegrass style.) It isn't the carbon fiber sound itself - I have an embarrassment of Rainsongs. It's just the small size being overdriven.

My search is complicated by just recently having acquired high-tech hearing aids (at about the cost of an older, but functional used car - I'll never complain about the price of eyeglasses again). I'm quite pleased with them in general, but they do affect the sound of the guitar when I'm playing it myself, even on the "music" setting. I have to adapt to that as well.

Have tried quite a few types of strings, including the newer "retro" and nickle alloy ones. I have just gone to a set of Martin "SP" "flexible core" phosphor bronze in medium gauge. So far, they sound as good as anything I've tried yet, and better than most. And they're relatively cheap.

Too soon to tell if this is the best choice, but I'm hopeful.
Old 12-24-2016, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Hey Pete, not to hijack the thread, but take your guitar with you to the hearing aid people and have them adjust the EQ on your music setting to get a more natural sound. Worked for me.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.......
Old 12-24-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post

Naturally, I'd go with LJ's Choice rather than TR's and kid my friends that these are the strings Martin custom-makes for me !

Cheers ! L.J
I didn't even think if the monogram, that is funny !
Old 12-25-2016, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Hey Pete, not to hijack the thread, but take your guitar with you to the hearing aid people and have them adjust the EQ on your music setting to get a more natural sound. Worked for me.

BiGawd, I'll do it! Might's well make these people work a little for their profit!

Thanks, P.
Old 12-25-2016, 10:25 AM

Anybody with a X7 try Newtones, either double wound or Heritage?
Old 12-26-2016, 05:52 AM
Charter Member

I did yesterday put on a set of Elixir Polyweb Med/Lights as I had seen some older post where people were liking the warmth of this heavier coated string and I found I had a set laying around. (who knows how old there were?) but anyway I do like these much better than what was on it.

Someone had just put lights on it but not sure of the brand. They were OK but these being Med. on the low end gave it more warmth overall.

Don't know if these will be the Keeper set but a step in the right direction.
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 01-12-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post

John, thanks a lot. I did this, and it appears to have helped considerably, after I got over feeling silly walking into the audiologist's office with a guitar case.

Peter
Old 01-12-2017, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

More than welcome Peter, I felt the same way at first, but they didn't seem to think it was out of the norm.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber