The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-26-2016, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Wow, what a beautiful quilt, Ernie. What does DSLR mean? I'm still trying to understand some of the PRS nomenclature.

DSLR = Digital Single Lens Reflex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 11-26-2016, 12:29 AM

IIRC the pickups in mine are 59/09.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Glen View Post
I believe the first number represents the year of pickup they're trying to emulate and the second number is the year of production. The 57/08s are 2008 makes of a 57 PAF-style humbuckers and PRS nailed it. I've played SD Seth Lovers and the Fralin Pure PAFs (but not in this guitar) and like the 57/08s better than both.
Thanks Glen, that numbering system makes sense. I thought it might have been something funny like the way Marshall used to nam their amps (by product number).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
DSLR = Digital Single Lens Reflex
I don't know what that means, lol. How you doing, Pieterh?
Old 11-26-2016, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Thanks Glen, that numbering system makes sense. I thought it might have been something funny like the way Marshall used to nam their amps (by product number).

I don't know what that means, lol. How you doing, Pieterh?

Seriously? Single Lens Reflex is the kind of camera where you are looking through the lens and then the mirror lifts out of the way when you take a picture. The digital means the picture is captured on a sensor rather than 35mm film.

I'm doing good: just recently did two evenings with an Eagles Tribute show (I sang and played mainly Glenn Frey parts though I did the Joe Walsh parts on Life In The Fast Lane and the Don Felder parts on Hotel California), acoustic and electric guitar a couple of weeks ago with a local choir/song group and in two and a half weeks will be doing a short lunchtime concert with a dear friend who also happens to be a fantastic singer (she did an amazing Take It To The Limit with us recently!). And all this while still doing the day job and looking after my kids!

I need a holiday haha...

Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 11-26-2016, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I don't know what that means, lol.
He was talking about his new camera a Digital camera that is a Single Lens Reflex type. as opposed to something like a digital point an shoot or smart phone camera .

Quote:
As Glenn said the first number it either the year of a picup PRS are emulating, or the year that they first started thinking or designing it, and then the second number is the year that PRS actually first produces it (the only reason I know Is I spent a good bit of time researching before finally buying my first electric since 1968 below)

PRS CE 24 the pic ups are PRS's own design US made two 85/15 s Humbucker/Split Coil, able to be split to single coil also.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 11-26-2016 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
He was talking about his new camera a Digital camera that is a Single Lens Reflex type. as opposed to something like a digital point an shoot or smart phone camera .

As Glenn said the first number it either the year of a picup PRS are emulating, or the year that they first started thinking or designing it, and then the second number is the year that PRS actually first produces it (the only reason I know Is I spent a good bit of time researching before finally buying my first electric since 1968 below)

PRS CE 24 the pic ups are PRS's own design US made two 85/15 s Humbucker/Split Coil, able to be split to single coil also.

That's a beauty, Kevin! My McCarty Korina has that same
control set-up (two knob, coil split) and it affords so many options and tones. A real winner.
2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
2007 Gibson SJ-200 True Vintage

Last edited by Steely Glen; 11-26-2016 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-26-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Seriously? Single Lens Reflex is the kind of camera where you are looking through the lens and then the mirror lifts out of the way when you take a picture. The digital means the picture is captured on a sensor rather than 35mm film.

I'm doing good: just recently did two evenings with an Eagles Tribute show (I sang and played mainly Glenn Frey parts though I did the Joe Walsh parts on Life In The Fast Lane and the Don Felder parts on Hotel California), acoustic and electric guitar a couple of weeks ago with a local choir/song group and in two and a half weeks will be doing a short lunchtime concert with a dear friend who also happens to be a fantastic singer (she did an amazing Take It To The Limit with us recently!). And all this while still doing the day job and looking after my kids!

I need a holiday haha...

LOL, I thought DSLR was another PRS acronym and I had no idea how that fit in at all. Cool about playing the Eagles stuff!
Old 11-26-2016, 02:23 PM

I've never had a chance to play one because none of our local shops carry PRS, but I'm drooling from afar over the McCarty 594 and McCarty Singlecut 594. They are so far out of my budget, but they are so beautiful and sound amazing in all the videos I've watched.
Old 11-26-2016, 03:28 PM

I played all 5 PRSs in the local shops over the past couple of days. 2 SEs and 3 S2s. None were 24.5 scale length which is what I'm looking for.

I found a used 2009 SC245 with the 57/08 pickups at a shop in another province. Thinking about pulling the trigger. The only thing I'm not sure of is the "wide/fat" neck. I've read a bunch of threads on various forums and it seems like it's a little smaller than a Gibon's 50s neck.

Can anyone provide any experience with this neck and any comparison? I've looked at the neck specs on the PRS website. What I'm concerned of is that the SEs I played have the 'wide/fat' neck and they felt much wider than the 1 11/16" that it gives on the PRS website.
Old 11-26-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
For the historical record, there were/are other film SLRs out there besides 35mm ones. 120/220 (and other roll film sizes) roll film and sheet film SLR cameras exist.
Old 11-26-2016, 05:10 PM

Default Any PRS (electric) fans here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
For the historical record, there were/are other film SLRs out there besides 35mm ones. 120/220 (and other roll film sizes) roll film and sheet film SLR cameras exist.

You're quite right of course (one thinks of Hasselblad etc) though the 35mm type are more readily recognisable on an everyday basis in order to explain what an SLR or DSLR is.

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 11-26-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
You're quite right of course (one thinks of Hasselblad etc) though the 35mm type are more readily recognisable on an everyday basis in order to explain what an SLR or DSLR is.

I used to own a 500C with the usual 50/80/150 lenses, and our studio had lots of Hasselblad gear. I still have a SWC and a couple of 120 backs. And, I have a R.B. Auto Graflex with a 180 Tessar, from the 1910s., along with a few other various types of cameras.

Last edited by Jeff Scott; 11-26-2016 at 08:43 PM.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:55 PM

Quote:
What I'm concerned of is that the SEs I played have the 'wide/fat' neck and they felt much wider than the 1 11/16" that it gives on the PRS website.
Can't tell you a whole about the neck width too much because I'm not sure what my Custom 24 is. All I can tell you is that it is very comfortable. My old SC Trem was too but it I do remember it being a tad bit chunkier.

What kind of music do you play Dru?
Old 11-27-2016, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
Can't tell you a whole about the neck width too much because I'm not sure what my Custom 24 is. All I can tell you is that it is very comfortable. My old SC Trem was too but it I do remember it being a tad bit chunkier.

What kind of music do you play Dru?
Hey Ernie, I like rock / hard rock and 80s metal (standard tuning, not drop D or C). I'm not expecting the SC245 to be a metal machine with those PAF pickups but it'll handle some good rock 'n roll and AC/DC type stuff.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:00 AM

I think that guitar will sound great with the right amp and pedals. I hope you get a chance to try out that neck profile soon and start jamming!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars