The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-24-2016, 10:22 AM

I clicked in on this one several times yesterday and the price/availability has been all over the place. Right now the natural is back up to $999 and it will be available 12/9. I caught it yesterday for $439.97 and applied a 15% Black Friday coupon to knock another $66 off. That's a pretty serious deal. We'll see if it holds and actually shows up. If you want one I'd recommend checking the price periodically throughout the day and using the coupon that they offer up on the website.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderlung View Post
I clicked in on this one several times yesterday and the price/availability has been all over the place. Right now the natural is back up to $999 and it will be available 12/9. I caught it yesterday for $439.97 and applied a 15% Black Friday coupon to knock another $66 off. That's a pretty serious deal. We'll see if it holds and actually shows up. If you want one I'd recommend checking the price periodically throughout the day and using the coupon that they offer up on the website.
Their site IS seriously jacked up. Never seen a coupon work on a "clearance" item. After finding out that the guitar is decked out with $300 pickups, I don't know that I could apply a coupon!

I'm assuming they keep fixing the price, and every time an auto-update happens it reverts to the $439.
Old 11-24-2016, 11:09 AM

Hi blue.

I was pretty shocked that the coupon worked but it went through just fine and they just emailed me a backorder notice that says it'll ship when it comes back in stock. We'll see but I won't be surprised either way. Their system IS definitely wonky. Sometimes the cheap price shows up and it is not labeled as a clearance item.
Old 11-24-2016, 04:50 PM

I've been following this deal pretty close.. I ordered 1 of these last week at $439 and it arrived yesterday. I then ordered another one yesterday when they came back on the site ( for my 18 yr old son for Xmas )...

Anyways.. I got the back order notice. Called and spoke to a supervisor... Told him about how wacky the site has been on this item...?

Real nice guy and explained some things .. This was a store clearance item. So any that came up on the site were in stores not central warehouse.. Next he said this is discontinued color and is no longer available. Although he said there may be a couple non sellable units still in stores... Damage or defective.

Lastly, he said these are not on order and not coming back in stock.

He said my back order will be cancelled.

That's just what I was told.... Take it with grain of salt.
Old 11-24-2016, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
I
Real nice guy and explained some things .. This was a store clearance item. So any that came up on the site were in stores not central warehouse.. Next he said this is discontinued color and is no longer available.

I ran into something similar with my EVH Wolfgang special. Nobody in the store cold explain to me why a new guitar was less than half street price if nothing was wrong with it. I brought it home and have loved ever since.

But a month or two after I got it I found out that production was being moved from Japan to China (it is now a MIM product, with many downgrades from the original), which clearly gave them the green-light to blow them out and raise some capital.

So I guess the Epiphone could be the second time I've stumbled onto one of these deals.
Old 11-27-2016, 12:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've been following this deal pretty close.. I ordered 1 of these last week at $439 and it arrived yesterday. I then ordered another one yesterday when they came back on the site ( for my 18 yr old son for Xmas )...

Anyways.. I got the back order notice. Called and spoke to a supervisor... Told him about how wacky the site has been on this item...?

Real nice guy and explained some things .. This was a store clearance item. So any that came up on the site were in stores not central warehouse.. Next he said this is discontinued color and is no longer available. Although he said there may be a couple non sellable units still in stores... Damage or defective.

How was the one you received?

Also, did they actually cancel the second order?
Old 11-27-2016, 10:57 AM

They still have the naturals up on the website for $999 and a backorder date of April 2017. I'm wondering how many orders are piling up on these that might need to be cancelled. You'd think that they'd pull it down if they weren't making more of them and were already completely oversold. Crazy.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:

See, this is why I think it's important to NOT CALL OR MAKE CONTACT IN ANY WAY! They are showing full price again, with a delivery in April. If you call you get a story, and a cancellation. If you don't? We don't know yet. But that's a lot better than a cancellation. And lets not forget that some folks who called got a cancellation on the "in stock" ones. Mine arrives tomorrow. I may not get it tomorrow, as I had it shipped to my closest GC (for free), and my life is a little in turmoil right now, and I couldn't guarantee I'd be around to receive it at home. And my dude most definitely would leave it on the porch
Old 11-27-2016, 01:59 PM

Well... Finally got time to give her a whirl!

Wow! This is a very sweet guitar. The Gibson Pickups really have some growl even through a nice clean amp. The Natural finish is really cool too. It is very "Blonde"... but I am sure it will darken as it ages.

Last edited by JakeStone; 11-27-2016 at 03:27 PM.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well... Finally got time to give her a whirl!

Wow! This is a very sweet guitar. The Gibson Pickups really have some growl even through a nice clean amp. The Natural finish is really cool too. It is very "Blonde"... but I am sure it will darken as it ages.

Very cool. What happened with the second one. Did they cancel it?
Old 11-28-2016, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Growler View Post
Very cool. What happened with the second one. Did they cancel it?
They did not cancel my back order.

Last edited by JakeStone; 11-28-2016 at 09:52 AM.
Old 11-28-2016, 07:59 AM

I just noticed that GC no longer lists a natural finished ES-175 on their website. I'm assuming this means bad news for those on backorder.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojangles View Post
I just noticed that GC no longer lists a natural finished ES-175 on their website. I'm assuming this means bad news for those on backorder.
Or they simply don't want any more pricing errors, which the back and forth pricing must have been, to result in even more backorders. Wait and see. Patience is often rewarded in life.

Trust me on this, if they contacted me, and told me my backorder (I don't have one) was being cancelled, I would walk away with a very very very nice "consolation prize" in the form of a seriously heavy discount on a specific item I really wanted that never goes on sale.

In this case I would aim to negotiate the Sunburst model down to $550, but would certainly settle for $575.

So anyone who is reading this and has one on backorder bear all this in mind. Don't make contact. If they contact you play it to your advantage. And definitely do not cancel your backorder yourself.
Old 11-28-2016, 05:59 PM

I had a pending charge on my card for my ES-175 and it disappeared today. I'm assuming that they cancelled my backorder which comes as no huge shock. However, they didn't bother to tell me that it was cancelled. Radio silence. I'm not heartbroken or anything but I do think that Guitar Center handled this whole mess pretty poorly. I see no reason to ever buy from them again. Sweetwater and the smaller shops that actually seem to care about their customers get all of my business moving forward.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderlung View Post
I had a pending charge on my card for my ES-175 and it disappeared today. I'm assuming that they cancelled my backorder which comes as no huge shock. However, they didn't bother to tell me that it was cancelled. Radio silence. I'm not heartbroken or anything but I do think that Guitar Center handled this whole mess pretty poorly. I see no reason to ever buy from them again. Sweetwater and the smaller shops that actually seem to care about their customers get all of my business moving forward.
Don't get mad. Get even. Wait one week. Then call and ask about why the charge was removed. Hear what they say, then start ranting. Get something out of it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars