The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-30-2015, 07:05 PM

Location: Darwin, Australia, 12.5 degrees south of the equator
Default What, why and how long.

What type of string do you use, why do you choose it and how long is your scale length.
If I chose car racing instead.
Jim Schofield
Old 03-30-2015, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.S View Post
What type of string do you use, why do you choose it and how long is your scale length.
Savarez Alliance has been my favorite for many years. 650mm scale length is my preferred, but I have owned 640 and 665mm as well, and made 650 and 640.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 03-30-2015, 09:24 PM

Martin Retro medium gauge, I use them because they seem to last more then a month for me. 25.56" scale length.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:49 PM

Thanks Ned, is that the basic one, not the HT or Corum? Also is there a reason you prefer them over HT or just a reason you prefer them?

Hartman, do they make a nylon? I had assumed they were a monel steel string, hence the retro bit.
Jim Schofield
Old 03-30-2015, 09:52 PM

Whoops Sorry didnt notice which section this was when I replied.. No, they are all monel strings.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:15 PM

What is prompting your very specific questions? I like d'addario strings.

High tension ej46 if I'm playing a lot and will include playing in public, but that doesn't happen much currently and the medium tension ej45 are less prone to breakage and last longer, so that's what I usually use these days. Since I mostly play the Godin Acs, a set of strings lasts quite a while, and honestly, any medium tension set of strings is fine for me.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:22 PM

Am building nylon strung guitar number one and that is the inspiration for the question. So the question is a bit of a attempt at getting some player input (which may or may not influence my choice in the end). Many different nylons on the market now like High tension, low tension, carbon, wound G and so on.

What scale length are you putting those high tensions on Bruce?
Jim Schofield
Old 03-30-2015, 11:30 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

I'm on a 650mm traditional Spanish guitar with extra hard tension strings from DAddario, think they're still the EXPs. I don't play as frequently as I should, so these are nice because they last forever and ever and ever. I like the hard or extra hard tension for the projection and the violence of the playing experience when I really get into something. I have yet to break any nylon string while playing, but I've done some damage on occasion when tuning up an old beater after a long period of neglect. Someday I'll put on the free carbons that I got a while back, just to see how that goes.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Am building nylon strung guitar number one and that is the inspiration for the question. So the question is a bit of a attempt at getting some player input (which may or may not influence my choice in the end). Many different nylons on the market now like High tension, low tension, carbon, wound G and so on.

What scale length are you putting those high tensions on Bruce?
My Contreras classical is 650mm IIRC. The godin is 25-1/2.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Thanks Ned, is that the basic one, not the HT or Corum? Also is there a reason you prefer them over HT or just a reason you prefer them?

Hartman, do they make a nylon? I had assumed they were a monel steel string, hence the retro bit.
It seems as though the "Alliance" is the name they give to the trebles, and the HT is the name for the basses. So, I should say Alliance HT.

I have tried the corum basses only once and didn't care for them much at all.

I have never cared for D'addario classical strings. I have tried their set with the strange beige g-string, too, (pretty darn sure it was d'addario) but the g-string was very much out of character from the others in tone and feel. What I don't like about d'addario classical strings is the huge diameter of the 3rd string, and I find they tend to sound less clear than Savarez Alliance/HT. Plus, the overall diameter is greater in all strings in the D'addario sets. The d'addario 3rd string is more clunky sounding to my ear, rather than a powerful and clear savarez alliance 3rd string. I also feel that savarez has a better tone balance across strings.

True, savarez ht basses will wear out much more quickly (especially d-string) due to the smaller diameter of the wrappings, but I prefer to focus on tone quality rather than longevity.

Regarding tension, it depends upon both the player's technique and preference for feel, as well as the guitar scale length and soundboard design. Some guitars will not see a sound improvement with high tension, but others will have a soundboard that can handle the extra tension and energy.

There is generally no "right or wrong" string, however. They certainly have slightly different tones, and if you had a 20 band equalizer on a set of speakers, each person would tune the eq sweep slightly different to their own tastes. That said, I have tried some basic quality Augustine strings (about 15 years ago) and more than one string was of varying density along the same string, and those affected strings did not even produce one true note. So, there are some strings that are just "wrong", but of the many strings available of proper quality, there is no "right or wrong". Hope that clarifies.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Last edited by Ned Milburn; 03-31-2015 at 08:34 AM.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:51 AM

I've tried many different strings on the numerous classical guitars I've owned over the years. My current preference is for nylon, but I used carbon strings exclusively for a number of years. My guitars are mostly 650 mm scale length, but I've owned a few 655's and 660's.

Current preference:

Basses: Normal tension Savarez Cantiga or Savarez Corum. The Cantiga are a little brighter and more colorful. I keep a supply of both on hand. Some guitars sound better with the brighter basses, others sound betted with the warmer basses.

Trebles: I keep a supply of normal and high tension D'Addario Pro Arte on hand: 1st, 2nd, 3rd normal tensions, and 1st and 2nd high tensions. I dislike high tension nylon 3rd strings. I also keep a supply of Augustine Imperial 1st and 2nd strings on hand, they are about the same tension as the high tension Pro Artes but they are a little brighter sounding. Finally, I also keep a supply of high tension Savarez Alliance (carbon) 3rd strings on hand, they are very smooth and clear sounding, and they blend well with nylon 1st and 2nd strings.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:58 PM

Thanks all for taking the time.
Jim Schofield
Old 04-02-2015, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

I have 2 650 scale spruce tops

I D'Addario EJ46 on one.
The other I use
D'Addario EJ27N

The guitar builders recommended the strings. I experimented but the builders were right in their choices.

I get about 30 - 40 hours of playing time out of a set of strings.

Last edited by k_russell; 04-02-2015 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Completed
Old 04-04-2015, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_russell View Post

The guitar builders recommended the strings. I experimented but the builders were right in their choices.
Cheers K. That is sort of the point, I have to choose the strings before I build the instrument.

I think in the end I will go the "carbon" high tension and keep the saddle a little low then if I decide to have a look at something in a lower tension I can just raise the saddle height.
Jim Schofield
Old 01-13-2017, 08:59 PM

D'Addario EJ46 Nylon Core. Love them
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical