The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-23-2017, 02:44 PM

Thanks Ted as always....!!!
Old 01-23-2017, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Rainsong guitars have a very distinct tone, with lots of clarity, excellent note separation, and rich overtones. They have embraced the tonal qualities of carbon fiber with great success. McPherson, like Composite Acoustics, decided a more fundamental tone might be a better seller, so their tone tends to be somewhat muted, but you can still hear the carbon fiber.

Joe @ Blackbird already has great sounding carbon fiber guitars, so with the Ekoa series he went after the tonal qualities of high end all solid wood guitars. A tall order, but in fact, tonally the closet thing we could find to the El Capitan in our store was a Collings SJ, and I tend to compare his Ekoa Uke's to vintage Martins. I'll need to play the Savoy alongside some other small body acoustics to tell you where it stands, but from my initial impression at NAMM, as with other Ekoa models, I think I will need to look to wood guitars when describing the Savoy's tone.

We should have our first one in spring, so stay tuned for a more thorough review.
Wow...I looked up the price of a Collings SJ and thx Ted....you make me feel like I got a steal on my El Capitan!! Lol....

How would you compare the El Cap to the Savoy, tonally?

Love my El Capitan...she is not going anywhere...ever...[emoji14]

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2017, 07:03 PM
Guest 928

Is there a nylon version? That is the real test. For five hundred years of research and development the classical nylon string guitar is the one to best, in my estimation.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:15 PM

Todd, I would really need to play them side by side, but I guess it would be like comparing a Colling SJ, to a Collings size 0, maybe a Rosewood/Cedar Collings size 0.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:15 AM

I was at NAMM too. I was not a big fan of the El Capitan but Joe forced me to try the Savoy. I was skeptical at first, but on the first strum, I was very impressed. I agree with everything that Ted said. It does sound natural like a wood guitar and quite resonant. Also quite light, whereas the El Capitan weighs a ton.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:48 PM

I am excited to say that I just ordered a Savoy!! Now the wait begins.
Barb
Old 01-29-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb1 View Post
Barb
Congrats Barb!!! Look forward to hearing your thoughts on the Savoy and how it fits in with your other CF guitars. Did you order with a pickup? Currently I have all rainsongs and would welcome some diversity. I currently have a shorty that kind of fits the slot that I am thinking about for the Savoy. A smaller guitar for finger picking but still hold up to full strumming without sounding boxy. Tall order and be travel friendly.

Look forward to hearing about the Savoy as it hits the market. I have some customer visits coming up on the west coast so will try to swing by Blackbird and see if they have one to play and report back to the group!!!

Chris
Old 01-29-2017, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb1 View Post
Barb
I did as well. Congrats. "Spring" could mean late June... But let's hope it means late March!
Old 01-29-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfoo6952 View Post
I was at NAMM too. I was not a big fan of the El Capitan but Joe forced me to try the Savoy. .
I had to grab it outa his guitar building hands as soon as I spotted it... not sure why, but he didn't let me keep it...sigh....
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-29-2017, 08:18 PM

Hi Chris,
I did order the Savoy with the MiSi. I am really looking forward to this guitar! I too, have a Shorty but I am no longer able to play an OM size guitar due to neck problems. I am going to have to sell my OMs (2 Rainsongs, 1 Collings and possibly my Blackbird Super OM) and just be content playing guitars with a size O body or smaller.

To MKel12: thanks for the congrats. I am so excited to try out the Savoy!

Best,
Barb
Old 01-30-2017, 10:38 AM

Barb and MKel12,

Awesome you guys are getting Savoys! Without ever playing or seeing one, they are VERY appealing! I cant wait to hear what you guys think after getting them, and especially how they compare to the Lucky 13. Wonder if the Savoy would be a replacement for, or an addition to the Lucky.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:20 AM
Guest 928

Barb;

Congratulations on the guitar. Congratulations also on not allowing physical problems to interfere with your love of music. I look forward to your reports on the Savoy.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:46 AM

Congrats to those of you who locked in early.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Congrats to those of you who locked in early.
Thanks Ted! I am counting on you to get me a beauty! ~ Mike K.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaichine View Post
Barb and MKel12,

Awesome you guys are getting Savoys! Without ever playing or seeing one, they are VERY appealing! I cant wait to hear what you guys think after getting them, and especially how they compare to the Lucky 13. Wonder if the Savoy would be a replacement for, or an addition to the Lucky.
Thanks thaichine! For me, it is "in addition to". As you well know, I can't part with my Lucky 13 even when I set out to do so! Looking forward to reporting back once I get it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber