The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-23-2017, 03:18 PM

Default Help with Gotoh SG381 3+3 Trad Locking tuners

Hello,

I recently purchased from StewMac some Gotoh locking tuners for my new Martin D-16GT. They are the type of locking tuners that they have a thumb wheel lock trad on the back, to clamp the string.

I just installed them and they were perfect fit, 100% drop in.

My question is, for people that have experience with this mechanism, when I put the string through the post hole and pull it tight and then tighten clockwise the trad or thumb wheel, how tight should I twist it? do I need to tighten it as much as possible like by using a towel to be able to to make it tighter or is it just a normal thumb and index finger twist until I feel is tight?

Thanks a lot

Last edited by javierj; 01-23-2017 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:31 PM

Also based on research I made, this should be the correct way of winding the string to the post of a locking tuner, as opposed to regular string winds to the post of non locking tuners.

Old 01-23-2017, 04:05 PM

Something else too, are the screws on the tuner buttons just to replace the buttons with different one, or are they also to loosen up or tightnen the pegs when you are tuning the strings?
Old 01-23-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javierj View Post
Something else too, are the screws on the tuner buttons just to replace the buttons with different one, or are they also to loosen up or tightnen the pegs when you are tuning the strings?
I'd like to see a little more wrap on the string post but I've never used locking tuners.

I'm pretty sure the screw that holds the tuner button on also adjusts the tightness -it does on all the sealed gear tuners I've ever used - like the drag on a fishing reel.
If you carefully remove a button there is usually a wavy blue spring steel washer that compresses as you tighten the screw - acting like a clutch.
Don't lose it!

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 01-23-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
I'd like to see a little more wrap on the string post but I've never used locking tuners.
That's about right for locking tuners. If you get a full wrap around, you've usually not put the string in there correctly.

You just need to pull the string through, and tighten the back thumbwheel. Do it finger tight, you can usually feel when it locks on the string. Then tune up.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:47 AM

Hey thanks a lot everyone for the suggestions, I really apreciate it!
Old 01-24-2017, 11:33 AM

Just wanted to add that when I was using this tuners to re string the guitar, I thought that I was going to feel or hear like a ''click'' or ''tick'' sound when the string got locked. But I did not hear or feel anything like that, except for the feeling of the thumb wheel getting to it's ''tightest'' where it feels like it won't go any further. So I wanted to know if this was same for others that have this Gotoh MG-T tuners.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:43 AM

I don't get a "click" or a "tick." I don't think there is supposed to be one. I just screw mine down as tight as I can while still being sure I won't have any trouble unscrewing them.

I know they're "supposed to" only go about a quarter to a half turn around the post. Perhaps they don't need to, but I've always felt safer leaving enough slack to go a couple of turns, and it has never caused me a problem.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodleFingers View Post
I don't get a "click" or a "tick." I don't think there is supposed to be one. I just screw mine down as tight as I can while still being sure I won't have any trouble unscrewing them.

I know they're "supposed to" only go about a quarter to a half turn around the post. Perhaps they don't need to, but I've always felt safer leaving enough slack to go a couple of turns, and it has never caused me a problem.
Got it! Thanks a lot!

Yeah it seems like I am getting the same. Just tight it down with hand/fingers as tight as it would normally go. It's not like I should be having to re tight them again every now and then. They don't seem to be going anywhere or that anything should make them come a little loose. So I should be fine. I have been checking the tuning stability and it has been okay. The locking mechanism seems like it's doing good, rock solid. I will keep checking to make sure it did not get any bad one from factory, but coming from Gotoh that probably would not be the case.

Perhaps also I was just a little afraid of string slipping due to a bad locking mechanism.

Last edited by javierj; 01-24-2017 at 12:04 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion