The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-22-2017, 06:08 PM

Microsoft? What’s “Microsoft?”

I use Safari on a Mac. But I can tell you that my husband got a pop-up window from “Microsoft” telling him he had malware on his personal Windows laptop and to click a link to learn more. Being a busy doctor, not an IT person (nor a retiree with the time to have learned more about cyber-security), he clicked. Oy. The link took him to a phone number to call to buy a new “removal” product and receive a download code. He called, but thought better of it when they asked for his computer-unlock password and credit card information, and he hung up. But because he'd been using the laptop in his office, tapped into the practice’s wi-fi network when it happened, everyone had to do a thorough scan and disinfect using the office’s anti-virus program. Of course, there was no malware, but he didn’t find this out before changing all of his passwords (many of them for sites we both use) and then forgetting where he physically stored them.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:09 PM

I feel like the popular kids are making fun of me for being a nerd. It's been about 45 years, thanks for the memories.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28

Last edited by Gasworker; 01-22-2017 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:50 PM

That sounds (reads) like it might be a certificate error. It could be spoofing, or it could be a mistake or being cheap on the part of the site owner.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:48 PM

Could be as simple as a DNS hijack taking you to a nasty site or you do have some hidden nasties on your machine, which is where I am thinking. What security are you running. If you don't already have it, download Malwarebytes You only need the free one, and let it do its stuff. It is slow, but thorough. It will then give you a report of identified issues before doing anything with them. From there you can let it handle them as it sees fit.

I then re-start the computer, and run it again. Along with a full scan with my Anti-Virus package and conclude with a scan by Ccleaner, also the free version. If it all comes back clean after that, you should be good to go.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:05 AM

Have you “whitelisted” the AGF in your security settings (listed it as among your “always trust” sites)? If not, maybe that’ll fix the problem. I sometimes get “certificate” warnings from Safari or Mail for Mac, but if it’s a site I’ve always dealt with, I proceed anyway.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:05 AM

There seem to be a number of those fake warnings going around, and not just from Microsoft, so a little paranoia is probably not a bad thing. I haven't received any such phishing attempts or other rubbish since I switched to Webroot SecureAnywhere antivirus for Win 10. Since it's cloud-based, it's pretty hard to compromise -- but I also have separate malware protection on board, just in case.

I do get occasional email messages about such security threats from Webroot, which warns users about new threats and never asks for any personal data, logins, etc. YMMV.

Old 01-23-2017, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSemmens View Post
Could be as simple as a DNS hijack taking you to a nasty site or you do have some hidden nasties on your machine, which is where I am thinking. What security are you running. If you don't already have it, download Malwarebytes You only need the free one, and let it do its stuff. It is slow, but thorough. It will then give you a report of identified issues before doing anything with them. From there you can let it handle them as it sees fit.

I then re-start the computer, and run it again. Along with a full scan with my Anti-Virus package and conclude with a scan by Ccleaner, also the free version. If it all comes back clean after that, you should be good to go.
These programs are also my go-tos. Plus, if you use a home computer for sensitive items - IOW, office records, accounting, storage of important documents, etc. consider a separate computer with minimal/no e-mail usage. That's the most likely place (as of 2017) that you are liable to catch a virus. Websites are not as big an issue, but I would not use the computer for most 'surfing'.

best,

Rick

PS - Y'all realize that being on the AGF will eventually give you a case of GAS, right?
Old 01-23-2017, 08:12 AM

Exclamation SPAM

Hi, this is Julie....we've been watching your credit and want to tell you that we can upgrade your credit card for free.......
Old 01-23-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT77 View Post
Hmmm.... agf is 69.41.173.82, which according to tracert is somewhere in Texas.

64.230.195.105 appears to be somewhere in Toronto and is unreachable from my location.
I'm seeing the same IP for AGF (69.41.173.82), so I definitely think something is fishy on his PC.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:34 AM

I don't get these warnings. I get a more personal service. A nice Indian chap from 'Windows Technical Department' phones me to tell me there is a problem with my computer, offering to fix it
Old 01-23-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
There is also a fake one for chrome.
It will say Urgent Chrome Update
I have this pop up from time to time and have been unsuccessful in removing it.
It may come up if you run a malware software. But the malware software may not completely remove it, because it cannot remove some folders and registry keys. So if you find the offending file(s) with your malware software, write down the name or string, and search all folders for it, and delete them. Then go into the registry editor (regedit) and search for the same string, and delete them all. Backup your registry first, just in case you accidentally erase something you actually need.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:44 PM

It's a brand new laptop 2 days old. Windows 10 could be Chrome maybe Brass. It only comes up on AGF. I don't really care anymore. Lesson learned.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 01-23-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasworker View Post
It's a brand new laptop 2 days old. Windows 10 could be Chrome maybe Brass. It only comes up on AGF. I don't really care anymore. Lesson learned.
You know, it's plausible you're seeing that from one of the ad sources. Didn't occur to me until now.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:59 PM

Talking

My wife got one of those fake warnings today. She called the number displayed.
By the time I got into the room to tell her it was a scam the guy with the Indian accent was getting really frustrated with her. None of the things he told her to do worked. When I built the computer for here I install Linux Mint.
2018 Regal RD40MS
2019 Kentucky KM-606
2022 Huss & Dalton TD-R Custom
Old 01-23-2017, 06:56 PM

I also got a strange warning while running Microsoft, it said > Warning, running other Operating Systems may make Windows appear slow,

I quickly switched to Unix,

H

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic