The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-21-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorSteve View Post
I would take him with you to get his "buy in" and make sure the size you're thinking about fits him well.
Great advice. Let him choose if at all possible.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 01-22-2017, 06:28 PM

I saw one of those Luna Guitars in Guitar Center this weekend. Looked like it'd be a great size.

And I do agree with you 100% @PastorSteve and @rokdog49 I will most certainly let the final decision be his. He'll get a choice of several, but the final choice will be his for sure.

I'll also have to get him some lessons from a real teacher - my boy can get hard headed when it comes to instructions from mom and dad on new things like guitar. He'll take instructions from a teacher far more readily than he will from me and I want to make it fun for him and not a battle.

Thanks for the advice everyone, it's very well appreciated.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRon View Post
I saw one of those Luna Guitars in Guitar Center this weekend. Looked like it'd be a great size.

And I do agree with you 100% @PastorSteve and @rokdog49 I will most certainly let the final decision be his. He'll get a choice of several, but the final choice will be his for sure.

I'll also have to get him some lessons from a real teacher - my boy can get hard headed when it comes to instructions from mom and dad on new things like guitar. He'll take instructions from a teacher far more readily than he will from me and I want to make it fun for him and not a battle.

Thanks for the advice everyone, it's very well appreciated.
My grandson started with a teacher and after a while became disenchanted. Too much reliance on tabs and too rote. Then he turned to me. I got him rolling with more positions, chords and some riffs and he has moved forward quite rapidly. He started to see how things are "connected" on the fretboard and that spurred him on. Maybe that will happen for you. Good luck with everything.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 01-22-2017 at 06:41 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRon View Post
I've done some reading about the Rogue guitars and seem many people say they're not bad for a beginner. I think the biggest thing I need to look out for is size. My boy is a big kid, but he's still only 7. I'm thinking a 3/4 size or parlor would be great. If we both enjoy the guitar journey, it'll be something we could take with us on vacation or day trips.

At least that's what I'm telling myself
One of the Rouge's is a 7/8 and comes in blue. They are just ok - bad QC from my limited experience.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:06 AM

I think ovation has some blue models... not sure if the price point in the cheaper ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-23-2017, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Just thinking out loud here, it might be easier to learn how to play for a true beginner on a cheap electric than a cheap acoustic. Rondo (Essex,Brice, probably other lines as well) likely has a few things in blue as well, well below your budget max.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:30 PM

Definitely stay away from Rogue. An acquaintance of mine gave up guitar playing in utter frustration after trying to learn first on an Esteban, and then on a Rogue. Good things have a price, and a good guitar simply cannot be had at the same price of a pair of tennis shoes, at least not new. Doesn't mean that it has to be expensive, either. But super-cheapos along the lines of Rogue and Esteban are what I call "beginner deterrents" rather than "beginner encouragements."

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 01-23-2017, 05:51 PM

Not sure if they have smaller guitars, but I have a blue Ashton dread which I use purely for decoration. It seems to play alright, I just don't really "need" it, given that it was purchased for my wife to learn, which she never did.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:32 PM

I thought I'd update you guys on what we ended up doing.

I showed Troy, my son, a Ukulele and he was pretty excited by it. We went to guitar center and he tried out nearly every guitar in the store lol. But in the end, there was just something he liked about the ukulele!

We ended up getting a Cordoba 15CM Concert sized Ukulele that he's strummed and strummed and strummed on over the weekend and very excited to have a "uke"

It's not blue, but he's happy and excited so we're good

Thanks for all the advice folks, it's appreciated.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:49 PM

That's a great solution. If you haven't already, be sure to check out Jake Shimabukuro and others on youtube.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:57 PM

Art & Lutherie makes a great parlour in a few different colours.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion