The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-21-2017, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
Maybe she's practicing being nicer for her next husband... the normal one...
ROFLMAO🤣 Good reply Denny!
Old 01-21-2017, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
Maybe she's practicing being nicer for her next husband... the normal one...
:u p:
Old 01-21-2017, 06:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSemmens View Post
You only get five years for Marriage??? I thought it was a life sentence!
Divorce has become socially acceptable. I don't know if laws have changed to make it easier. when I was a kid, folks went to Las Begas to get divorced, and then kept very "hush hush" about it because it was a real embarrassing thing to do back then. Things have changed drastically in this area and it is commonplace for kids to have multiple sets of parents. Talk about spending holidays with Dad and then with Mom are quite common and do not seem weird to folks anymore, or a kid spending weekends with the father and weekdays with the mother, or however sharing the children is arranged these days.

In view of these things, it seems odd to me that weddings have become so expensive and people still say "until death do us part", and then a few years later, they part while both are still very much alive.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 01-21-2017, 07:01 AM
Charter Member

I find it off putting when my wife uses my first name. It feels like we are not a couple at that moment.

Like "Good mourning Tom".

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 01-21-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
In view of these things, it seems odd to me that weddings have become so expensive and people still say "until death do us part", and then a few years later, they part while both are still very much alive.
The big fat wedding, Greek or otherwise, is an irresistible American fantasy in which couples have their moment in the spotlight, the bride looks beautiful and cries, the groom, with his ugly and manly unshaved look could (near enough!) have just wandered off the set of the young and the restless, and life is magically imbued with big-bucks meaning. 'Death until us do parteth' (or whatever the phrase is!) is all part of the soap-opera baloney - a solemn, high-minded, old-sounding utterance with profound implications - what better way to make the deal seem like something truly transcendental?

I suspect that couples that really know and care about each other don't give a hoot about expensive weddings and invest the money instead in the marriage, where it can be put to much better use.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I find it off putting when my wife uses my first name.
Me too. I would dread what was coming next ...
Old 01-21-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
There seem to be a lot of threads like this lately.
Yup. Just thought I'd add my own silly linguistics thread. I've been scratching my head since one of the previous threads, perplexed wondering just exactly what the lady at the deli really meant the other day when she said "hello." Did she really mean that or was she really being snide about something, or was it just a low class, regional expression Maybe it was just a rhetorical non-greeting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
Is this thread for real?
How does that go? If you have to ask...
Old 01-21-2017, 10:04 AM

Did you get a new pool boy recently?
Old 01-21-2017, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

I gave up wife acquisition as a bad idea with negative consequences, but I do have a long-term live-in girl friend (a sort of disturbing term for 60-somethings to use, but whatever). She says "good morning" to me every morning. I've always found it a bit strange, and if she waits for me to speak first, I normally don't or I just talk about whatever night be on my mind. Then she won't speak first for a few days, but she can't stand it--reverts to "good morning" again. No "dear" though. People are funny.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailpicker View Post
I've been trying to digest this all day. When I woke up this morning my wife said, "good morning, dear." It's been nawing on me all day. Let me parse this.

Good morning: sounds so formal, so friendly, yet with bit of cool aloofness.
It could be interpreted as being with a tinge of challenge like she was daring me to have a good day; suggesting I might not have such a good day.

She might have greeted me with other, perhaps better, greetings: Yo, dear. How's by you, dear. Tip 'o the morning, dear. Welcome to the day, dear. What up, dear. I could think of many more ways to have greeted me, but you get the idea.

dear: She could have said "sweetheart." Maybe just "you" as in "tip 'o the day, you." Maybe she could have/should have started out the day with something like "greetings to a new day my significant other." Maybe just a "you slept well I trust."

Anyway, having her start my day with "good morning, dear" has really put me off for the day. I really don't know what to make of it; how to interpret it. Any of you have your spouses start your day with such a thoughtless, off-putting expression?
Sheeeeesh! At least she didn't greet you with a meat cleaver!

Better than:

"Did you brush your teeth?"
"Aaah, get away from me," as she swats you with her hand like a gnat.
"My lawyer will be contacting you..."
"I have (insert STD here)..."
Old 01-22-2017, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Divorce has become socially acceptable. I don't know if laws have changed to make it easier. when I was a kid, folks went to Las Begas to get divorced, and then kept very "hush hush" about it because it was a real embarrassing thing to do back then. Things have changed drastically in this area and it is commonplace for kids to have multiple sets of parents. Talk about spending holidays with Dad and then with Mom are quite common and do not seem weird to folks anymore, or a kid spending weekends with the father and weekdays with the mother, or however sharing the children is arranged these days.

Tony
If you go to the 'hood, you'll see signs in different languages that translate to "Divorce? Only $299! No spousal signature necessary..."

That said, it saddens me, because I'm pretty traditional in this view, and think maybe it's a little "too easy" to go the divorce route. And while it is more widely acceptable, is that better? Is marriage such a cheapened vow that we don't mind relinquishing it, as we do with a car lease? Why even bother marrying then?
Old 01-23-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
I suspect that couples that really know and care about each other don't give a hoot about expensive weddings and invest the money instead in the marriage, where it can be put to much better use.
My wife and I got married at the JOP. The bride wore sandals, a clean pair of jeans and a (new) flannel shirt. Similar attire for me, but boots rather than sandals. Two of my co-workers served as witnesses. My labrador retriever was our "best man." The entire cost, under $100 including thank you gifts to our witnesses. A year later we paid off our mortgage in full and have lived mortgage free since. We'll be married 30 years this year. I hope it lasts(keeping my fingers crossed)
Old 01-23-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailpicker View Post
My wife and I got married at the JOP. The bride wore sandals, a clean pair of jeans and a (new) flannel shirt. Similar attire for me, but boots rather than sandals. Two of my co-workers served as witnesses. My labrador retriever was our "best man." The entire cost, under $100 including thank you gifts to our witnesses. A year later we paid off our mortgage in full and have lived mortgage free since. We'll be married 30 years this year. I hope it lasts(keeping my fingers crossed)
We did a similar thing. Her parents were in Peru, mine in England, and neither of us wanted a big hoo-hah anyway. One of her friends was qualified to notarize the wedding, and we rented a housing community hall for a few hours. We invited some friends, laid on some snacks and drinks, said our own vows, and that was it. That was back in 2002, and I'm still nuts about her, even if she does drive me nuts sometimes (not seriously! ) !
Old 01-23-2017, 11:25 AM

Be thankful she is thoughtful enough to call you "Dear" when she can't remember your name. It beats, "What's your name again?"
Old 01-23-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
If you go to the 'hood, you'll see signs in different languages that translate to "Divorce? Only $299! No spousal signature necessary..."

That said, it saddens me, because I'm pretty traditional in this view, and think maybe it's a little "too easy" to go the divorce route. And while it is more widely acceptable, is that better? Is marriage such a cheapened vow that we don't mind relinquishing it, as we do with a car lease? Why even bother marrying then?
I agree 100%. Too many people go into a marriage these days with the attitude of, "if it doesn't work". A good marriage consists of working through problems together and coming out the other side. I'm saddened to hear so many stories of, "the kids have gone and we have nothing in common any more". Kids come, kids go, but you chose your partner, there must have been some reason to marry them way back when. We've had lots of excuses to separate over the years, guess what? We celebrate 38 years in June. Some of the excuses that might have been used - Baby was badly burnt (1985), wife chronically ill (has been since about 1987), Severe brain damage (me - 2001) and these are just the lowlights.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic