The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-20-2017, 02:12 PM

Sweet!!!!!
Old 01-20-2017, 10:01 PM

Thanks for sharing this build, Clint. If I could justify a few bucks, I'd love to be able to build one of these, myself. Sadly, it's not going to likely in the near future.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:25 PM

I didn't get to do any playing today. I spent a good 2 hours chipping ice off the driveway since it finally got above freezing today, and my hands were useless by the time I was done. I still want to spend some time tomorrow learning what this amp is capable of, though.

As consolation, I'll leave a pic of the amp with her new friend here.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 02-04-2017, 08:37 PM

You know, it's not hard to capture the actual sound of this amp on microphone. SM57 in front of one cone, off axis, does that really well. What I'm finding impossible is capturing this thing's sheer presence in a room. It fills the room and shakes your chest and begs to be turned up louder. I don't think anything short of standing in front of it would convey that.

I've been practicing a few different pieces to commit to recording. Between work and busting up ice from the driveway and sidewalk the last couple of weeks, I'm a little rusty and keep flubbing simple runs I can usually nail.

I'm also finding out almost all my pickups are slightly out of adjustment. I'll switch between them and find one is too close on the treble side and so on. When I do get them dialed in to this amp, they sound perfect on my others. It's kind of like finally getting the color on the TV dialed in perfect. Suddenly everything looks better.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 02-05-2017, 02:45 PM

If I went questing for the ultimate electric guitar sound, it could take years of searching: crossing deserts, hacking through dense jungles, battling through mountain passes against biting winds.

Eventually, in a forgotten corner of a distant land, I'd come across a temple where monks keep the secret Book of Divine Riffs, waiting patiently until the day when humankind is ready to receive them.

In that temple, there would be a tower, and at the top of the tower a room, and in that room my quest would end - because it would be exactly like your guitar room
Old 02-05-2017, 03:00 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Clint, if you get the spare coin, I've found that the combination of an SM-57 and a Royer R-121 ribbon is about the best I've found for recording an amp. The M-57 gets the midrange and the R-121 gets everything else. The result is full but defined. The R-121 isn't cheap at $1300, though. @SWEETWATER

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-05-2017, 06:32 PM

Moon, you're making me blush lol. That's been a few years and several builds to get there, plus a lot of book learning.

I'd love a Royer for my home studio for vocals. As it is, I use an AKG large condenser as a distant mic on clean amps. Sucker just catches too much of the high end raspiness without some really drastic EQ on overdriven amps.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 02-06-2017, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Clint, if you get the spare coin, I've found that the combination of an SM-57 and a Royer R-121 ribbon is about the best I've found for recording an amp. The M-57 gets the midrange and the R-121 gets everything else. The result is full but defined. The R-121 isn't cheap at $1300, though. @SWEETWATER

Bob
Bob which Orange amp is that and how do you like it ? I just got one of their small practice amps the Orange Crush RT 20, and am just in the process of starting exploring it tonal possibilities.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 02-06-2017, 02:39 PM

https://soundcloud.com/clintj1975/sets/bassman-demos

I set up one of my AKG condensers a couple of feet out and did a couple of quick recordings with my Strat and Les Paul this morning. I spent a couple of hours yesterday pounding on the driveway to remove some of the glacier, and everything from my shoulders down aches. Needless to say, that doesn't make for particularly great playing.

The Strat demos came out pretty close to sounding like the amp really does clean. Chimey, midrange heavy, and really accentuated quack in positions 2 and 4. The LP demos were done with the amp volume on 9 into the bright channel, using the guitar volume knob to clean up the neck pickup. I might redo the overdriven parts from the bridge pickup, since I forgot how much of that raspy upper midrange that mic captures. It sounds so much better in the room with all the low frequencies resonating around you.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 02-06-2017, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintj View Post
https://soundcloud.com/clintj1975/sets/bassman-demos

I set up one of my AKG condensers a couple of feet out and did a couple of quick recordings with my Strat and Les Paul this morning. I spent a couple of hours yesterday pounding on the driveway to remove some of the glacier, and everything from my shoulders down aches. Needless to say, that doesn't make for particularly great playing.

The Strat demos came out pretty close to sounding like the amp really does clean. Chimey, midrange heavy, and really accentuated quack in positions 2 and 4. The LP demos were done with the amp volume on 9 into the bright channel, using the guitar volume knob to clean up the neck pickup. I might redo the overdriven parts from the bridge pickup, since I forgot how much of that raspy upper midrange that mic captures. It sounds so much better in the room with all the low frequencies resonating around you.
I like the Strat position 4 the best great sound

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 02-06-2017, 03:15 PM

My favorite, too.

One thing I read in the book 'The Soul of Tone' is proving to be true. This amp is the Stratocaster's best friend. There is so much bass authority that the bridge pickup never sounds thin. Bright, yes. Lacking body and fatness, no.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 02-06-2017, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintj View Post
My favorite, too.

One thing I read in the book 'The Soul of Tone' is proving to be true. This amp is the Stratocaster's best friend. There is so much bass authority that the bridge pickup never sounds thin. Bright, yes. Lacking body and fatness, no.

If I were to get another electric it would almost certainly be a Strat. Just got done watching the Documentary on YouTube "Curves Contours and Body Horns " about the Stratocaster. Pretty interesting it came close to being dropped from the line at one point.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 02-06-2017, 07:12 PM

Thanks for taking the trouble to record some clips I always love to hear how a new build turn out.

There's a lot of clarity and detail in the LP neck humbucker. These can easily get muddy but that's a great sound. The overdriven bridge sound was good too. Bet it would slot right in to a mix.

It's hard to get an idea of the "feel" of an amp in a recording but it sounds quite lively and responsive. Very nice
Old 02-06-2017, 07:16 PM

I never really bonded with the Strat at first. Gibsons? Definitely. Tele? Very much so. It's not even close to my favorite through my tweed Deluxe. It's tone never really caught my ear like the others.

Then I tried it through the Super Reverb. Ooh, that's nice especially since I recently swapped speakers in it. Then I built this amp, and now I can't put it down. When I plugged it in the first time with all the amp knobs at noon, that clean tone from early Pearl Jam songs poured out. Then I found it can get really close to that coveted 'Sultans of Swing' tone. I'm kind of wanting to try an American Standard Strat through this amp now.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 02-07-2017, 06:24 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Bob which Orange amp is that and how do you like it ? I just got one of their small practice amps the Orange Crush RT 20, and am just in the process of starting exploring it tonal possibilities.
I don't remember which model it was - the shot was from a session I did as an engineer/producer. I think it was 50 watts and 2x12. Here's another shot:

Hope that helps!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars