The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-02-2017, 10:03 PM
Charter Member

I agree - I did a little selling on Reverb but the used prices there are wildly higher than GC used. I've bought several guitars from GC used online and very few on Reverb.

Its frustrating buying things because if you go on eBay you can do an advanced search of what things actually sold for (not the asking price) and you can clearly see what the market is bearing for items. But sellers always list their items way, crazy high so you have to wait until they get sick of it not selling and lower their prices.

For example, I am regretting selling my 000-15 and am mildly thinking of replacing it. The last six that actually sold used on eBay all sold for under $640 but all the used ones recently listed are starting at $950-$1450......soooo you have to just sit and wait and wait and wait until the seller drops their price and it finally sells (and objective evidence shows what they sell for)......people have really optimistic views on things they sell and I find Reverb to be the worst of those places.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240

Last edited by fazool; 01-02-2017 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarred21 View Post
...you can learn a lot and get a good idea of what is available and the price range of things....

On Reverb you can only see the asking price not the actual sold price so it is very misleading.

I bought one of those tuners, it was so crummy it wasn't worth the drawer space so I threw the whole thing in the trash.

Old 01-03-2017, 07:53 AM

The stuff I like seldom seems to be much of a deal. There have been a few instances where I could get something new from my dealer cheaper than used on Reverb. I tend to look every once in a while, not see any good prices, and won't come back for a few months.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
The stuff I like seldom seems to be much of a deal. There have been a few instances where I could get something new from my dealer cheaper than used on Reverb. I tend to look every once in a while, not see any good prices, and won't come back for a few months.
Thanks. (What I said - I'm the OP). Their used stuff (like electronics) certainly don't seem to be bargains. And the offers I've made, which I thought were reasonable for used, were turned down. Not gonna pay 90% of new price for used items.
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Old 01-03-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
On Reverb you can only see the asking price not the actual sold price so it is very misleading.

I bought one of those tuners, it was so crummy it wasn't worth the drawer space so I threw the whole thing in the trash.
There is a Price History Chart for everything I've looked at on Reverb that appears to show asking vs selling price along a timeline. To find it, hit the "learn more about this product" link, which may not be on the first page you come to. So, if you know you want used, and for example they say something like "5 used from $99", hit that link and you should then see it.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
There is a Price History Chart for everything I've looked at on Reverb that appears to show asking vs selling price along a timeline. To find it, hit the "learn more about this product" link, which may not be on the first page you come to. So, if you know you want used, and for example they say something like "5 used from $99", hit that link and you should then see it.
thanks! that's much more informative.

Old 01-03-2017, 10:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post

Yes, you can. Check the price guides. They show what they listed and what they sold for. Each sale, not averages.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:21 AM

I've sold stuff on Reverb real fast because I always compare the prices around and sell it for just a little less. If someone is selling for more then Musicians Friend or even ebay then they are an idiot and won't sell anything. It takes anyone 5 seconds to look up a product elsewhere and compare. So don't sweat it. Not everyone who sells there is that dumb. As a seller REverb is way better then eBay. I've bought some things there as well.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:17 PM

As mentioned above, Reverb has lower fees than eBay, and IMO is much easier to buy and sell on. I have over 100 transactions there, and I've been able to find some really good deals. Yes, some people overprice their stuff, but it's probably a lack of understanding about the used gear marketplace/trying to get there money back.

I've been buying and selling for years, and the market has dipped gradually, but steadily over that time on common gear. Some people just refuse to accept that.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

I make liberal use of the "make an offer" option on Reverb. I bought a National Polychrome Steel resonator for $1100 and a National model D for $1250. A Carr Hammerhead 1X12 for $850. I've bought brand new boutique amps for 15%-20% off.

Sure there are some unreasonable sellers out there but I've gotten better deals than craigslist and I think more gear sellers go to Reverb first these days so the selection on the 'verb is better.

Guitar Center's used sight has great prices but you never know what kind of shape it;s in until you receive it. There is usually only one photo and calling the store to ask about the item is usually an unsatisfying experience.

When I'm gear shopping I check all the sites before buying, and make any appropriate inquiries or offers before pulling the trigger. In the end I buy more from Reverb than anywhere else.
National Polychrome Tricone
National Model D Squareneck
Weber Gallatin A Mandolin

http://www.bandmix.com/jon-nilsen/
https://www.bandmix.com/limberlost/
Old 01-10-2017, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblefish View Post
Guitar Center's used sight has great prices but you never know what kind of shape it;s in until you receive it. There is usually only one photo and calling the store to ask about the item is usually an unsatisfying experience.

Don't know about "great" prices, but I know they've been told not to negotiate the price until the item has been in inventory at least 90 days.

Also, there is an "email store" option, but they never reply to my emails. Sucks.
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Old 01-11-2017, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasper View Post
I just purchased a set of headphones that was being sold both on eBay and reverb by the same store. Same product and same free shipping. On Reverb, the item cost $85, on eBay the item cost $65. So, I bought from eBay. Does reverb have some fees involved for the sellers that eBay doesn't?
Reverb selling fees are 3%. That's less than ebay and Amazon.
I've bought and sold (about 20 transactions) on Reverb and have never had any problems either way. Everyone I have dealt with has been great. Someone else mentioned that you can negotiate with the seller, this is a real positive. I try to price my stuff reasonable, but still want to at the very least break even. I currently have a Godin 5th ave with new pickup, bridge, new wiring and pots in excellent shape for $460. I believe it is reasonably priced.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
Thanks. (What I said - I'm the OP). Their used stuff (like electronics) certainly don't seem to be bargains. And the offers I've made, which I thought were reasonable for used, were turned down. Not gonna pay 90% of new price for used items.
I sell guitars and amps very reasonably on Reverb. Otherwise they don't sell.
I also see a lot of items that are clearly 20-30% inflated.
I'm currently miffed because I sold a new acoustic amplifier for 50% of it's value, the buyer returns it because he damaged it, and Reverb demands that I pay shipping to get it back. I don't really understand that, but otherwise Reverb is a pretty good selling portal.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
Don't know about "great" prices, but I know they've been told not to negotiate the price until the item has been in inventory at least 90 days.

Also, there is an "email store" option, but they never reply to my emails. Sucks.
Yeah, you have to call and try to get a non-idiot on the phone to walk over to the item and look at it for you. I've gotten them to text me more photos and and answer questions pretty easily. I usually have it shipped to a local store and inspect the item before accepting it.

It's still just one of several options for used gear. I use Reverb, Craigslist, Ebay, GC and have done transactions here on the forum and The Gear Page and Strat-talk. Each avenue has pluses and minuses you have to accept and navigate accordingly.
National Polychrome Tricone
National Model D Squareneck
Weber Gallatin A Mandolin

http://www.bandmix.com/jon-nilsen/
https://www.bandmix.com/limberlost/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars