The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-09-2017, 09:08 AM

Default MIchael Kelly guitars

Don't know when I visited their page, but now there are cookies in my computer and the adds keep popping up. He has some good looking guitars, anyone know if they are any good??? I have never seen one in person....

Taylor 514ce FLTD, Sitka/Tasmanian Blackwood from Ted at LA Guitar Sales
Taylor 618e 1st Edition, Sitka/maple (2015)
Taylor 814ce, Sitka/Rosewood (2014)
Taylor 526ce, all Mahogany (2014)
Baby Taylor, mahogany (2014)
Taylor 210ce (2014) (on consignment)
PRS S2 Custom semi-hollow body
Fender Blacktop Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro 120th
Gibson SG Classic 120th
Old 01-09-2017, 09:38 AM
Guitar Gourmet

When they debuted a few years ago and one of my dealers had them I was pretty impressed. That dealer went out of business later so I have no idea if they kept up the quality.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-01-2017, 11:04 PM

Default Thumbs up

I own a Michael Kelly Hourglass, basically a version after the PRS Santana double-cutaway models. I bought it on looks, especially the textured maple top (or veneer). My jamming buddies all think it's cool, and it is something quite different from their Strats. I catch them staring, getting lost in the large square abalone inlays on the neck. This guitar is flashier than my playing, that's for sure.

Recently I loosened the Tone Lock Bridge to see how low the action could get, and I had it about a heavy pick high along the whole neck, without a hint off fret buzz. With two coil-tapped pickups, it's capable of a wider range of tones than I fully understand, including Strat squeals and dark jazzy mumbles. Too bad they don't offer this model anymore.

I can't see any good reason to buy anything better, given my skill level and limited dedication to amplification. I'm in it for $250, and it's been one of my better guitar buys.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

I've got a dealer not far from me, hoping to get there to try a 1950 (T-style) with Fralin Steel Pole pickups and another model with Duncan Quarter Pounders. The buzz on other forums is that they are very good guitars for the pricing. And if you e-mail the company, you'll get a very nice response from the company president (usually) within 24 - 48 hours.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars