The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-07-2024, 06:46 AM
Charter Member

Default Cataract surgery

Just off to get checked out for cataract surgery ..... we'll see!
Old 03-07-2024, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

My wife and her mother both got that to great effect. My wife went from
wearing glasses all her life to not needing them.

Good luck ...

-Mike
Old 03-07-2024, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

It is a surgery. So, there is that. Do what you are told, and you should be just fine. In the realm of things, it's not that bad. I changed from being near sided to far sided, by choice. A friend of mine opted to go with one eye near sided and the other eye far sided. He is not very glad that he chose that. After the surgery cease rubbing your eyes. Around the but not the eyes. My brother just had one of his slide out of place. You'll be fine.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 03-07-2024, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

Most common surgery in the US I'm told. Had both my eyes done. Great results. Painless for me. Takes longer to prep than to do the surgery itself. Maybe 15 minutes...probably more like 10?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 03-07-2024, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

I had both my eyes done 2 years ago. Best thing I ever did. It was like Amazon brought me 2 new eyeballs.

I spent the money and got the multifocal lenses. No need for glasses now at all. I can read small print, like on my phone, up to about 12 inches from my eyes and my distance vision is great.

The procedure is fast and pain free. Almost just like getting an eye exam.

Good luck.
Old 03-07-2024, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
It is a surgery. So, there is that. Do what you are told, and you should be just fine. In the realm of things, it's not that bad. I changed from being near sided to far sided, by choice. A friend of mine opted to go with one eye near sided and the other eye far sided. He is not very glad that he chose that. After the surgery cease rubbing your eyes. Around the but not the eyes. My brother just had one of his slide out of place. You'll be fine.
Happened to me too. I haven't returned to the eye doctor yet!
~Bob
Old 03-07-2024, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Good luck, Andrew. I’m right behind you. Maybe next year.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 03-07-2024, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluside View Post
I had both my eyes done 2 years ago. Best thing I ever did. It was like Amazon brought me 2 new eyeballs.

I spent the money and got the multifocal lenses. No need for glasses now at all. I can read small print, like on my phone, up to about 12 inches from my eyes and my distance vision is great.

The procedure is fast and pain free. Almost just like getting an eye exam.

Good luck.
This is what my wife is wondering, she is far sighted now and really wants to see close up, but in a perfect world, see both far and near. We have been told the lenses are not quite there yet, but it sounds like your experience is much better than we have been told. No problems at all?
Old 03-07-2024, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

I had both eyes done in 2021. Before that, you couldn't get anywhere NEAR my eyes with anything - I tried wearing contacts once and it was a miserable failure. But I was conscious (though sedated) during both procedures and the sedation was enough that it was no sweat - didn't mind the procedure at all. Your pupils are enormously dilated though, so you'll have lots of halos and ghosting for that first day and night, but by the time you wake up the day after, you'll be fine and you're likely to be amazed at the difference in clarity, vividness of colors, etc. After my first (worst) eye was done, I woke up the next day and everything was so clear and vivid I half thought I'd accidentally taken a hit of acid. I'm getting a small amount of clouding in one of my eyes that the docs say is no big deal, they call it something like a "second cataract" or something, but it's something they can zap really easily with a laser in a really minor procedure - it's not uncommon at all according to the docs. So I'll probably get that done in the next few months sometime...

-Ray
Old 03-07-2024, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
...We have been told the lenses are not quite there yet, but it sounds like your experience is much better than we have been told. No problems at all?
Yeah, and I think it depends on the specifics of the eyes. My sister's SO had it done (with a multifocal option) and now can focus both near and far. OTOH I was told none of the options would completely fix my vision.

I ended up not going for a multifocal lens because I'd read (and verified with my ophthalmologist) that they aren't so good for people that either need or want to work in low light. I take pictures of the night sky so low light vision is a good thing.

In any case, the procedure was a breeze. It takes a few weeks to adjust. My vision is now much brighter. And it cleared up the yellowish cast that was obvious when I'd had one eye done and was waiting two weeks for the other.
Old 03-07-2024, 10:59 AM

I had my (already compromised) right eye done last year. I had the operation done just with local anaesthetic - eye drops. You are completely draped with only the target eye exposed. It was a pretty spacey experience, the only thing you can see is almost psychedelic patterns, and performed in complete silence. A very intense 20 minutes or so.

Afterwards, I asked my wonderful surgeon about playing music during the procedure - like maybe early Pink Floyd or something in keeping with what you see during the operation. I had recently seen Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets in concert. He said that he used to play harp music in the operating theatre (his wife is a professional harpist), but after a while he got fed up with it. We agreed that something "toe-tapping" would not be suitable. I suggested he play some recent music I had bought: guitarist Federica Artuso playing the discovered works of Emilia Giuliani on an historic instrument, a 1830 René Lacote. He leapt on that, and AFAIK is still playing it.

Oh, and my op was successful.

Peter
Guitars by: Tom Sands, Michael Bashkin, Turnstone Guitars, Taran Guitars, Jeff Bamburg, Marchwood, Fylde, C F Martin, Patrick James Eggle, John Kinnaird, Yairi, Yamaha, National, Gretsch, Fender, Recording King, Camps
Old 03-07-2024, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
This is what my wife is wondering, she is far sighted now and really wants to see close up, but in a perfect world, see both far and near. We have been told the lenses are not quite there yet, but it sounds like your experience is much better than we have been told. No problems at all?
No problems at all. The new lenses are there now. They seem to have come a long way in recent years.
Old 03-07-2024, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Just off to get checked out for cataract surgery ..... we'll see!
Had mine done about 3 months ago, more for glasses independence than for cataracts even though I had the early stages of a cataract in one eye. All went well and the outcomes are pretty much what was expected.

Any questions, just ask.
Old 03-08-2024, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Good luck Andy, hope it all goes well
Old 03-08-2024, 01:29 PM

Good luck. It should go smoothly.

I had cataract surgery at 68. Before that, I could not see the eye chart on the wall, my feet in the shower, etc., without thick, expensive glasses.

Now, for the first time in my life, I can see my feet in the shower, don't have to put on glasses to see my watch, etc. It's great.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic