The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-06-2011, 06:26 PM

Question Mandolin Banjo

I recently acquired an old Banjo-mandolin that was lying around my grandfather's house. It was missing a few strings so I did some research and bought mandolin strings (Elixir). The problem is that i put them in and tuned it, but it doesn't sound right when playing a song. I know this could be because of the placement of the bridge, but the bridge is in the same place it was when the old strings were in, and then it played completely in tune with the 5 strings it had. Any ideas how i can make this work?
Also I discovered that it is correctly in tune if I don't push down fully, but then it buzzes... not an ideal situation either way.
Thanx
Old 04-06-2011, 09:17 PM

I'm not sure there's a great deal of expertise on these instruments here. The problem sounds like the neck angle could be wrong and the extra tension of the full set of strings pulls the neck too far forward. This may be due to the age of the instrument.

If you have a luthier near you with some knowledge of traditional instruments, you might have them take a look at it.

Good luck with it. And welcome to the forum.

Keeping GAS in check:
It's not having what you want
It's wanting what you've got
Sheryl Crow & Jeff Trott-Soak Up The Sun
Old 04-07-2011, 04:22 PM

ok... thanks. I'll try and look around. but do you think that if the problem is the tension the strings are putting on the neck it would help to get a different kind of strings? or will the problem exist regardless?
Thank you

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair