The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-23-2016, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

Default Any civilian drone pilots out there???

I took a one day intro to drone class last week and am thinking of getting one. My primary interest in getting one would be to use it in combination with returning to search and rescue activities. Would love to hear from those who are drone pilots, particularly those who use them in search and rescue. It would be nice to avoid discussing problematic uses of drones which had been covered in a previous thread....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 07-23-2016, 07:15 AM

What's the difference between a drone and an RC aircraft?
Old 07-23-2016, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Drones have built-in GPS, cameras (for the most part), and their systems are computer-based. A cool feature I learned about is their homing capability at the touch of a button. When I think of RCs, I think of airplanes. There are fixed wing drones, but the ones we flew and I'm interested are more similar to multi-prop small helicopters. Therefore they can hover and would seem to have more maneuverability than a fixed wing. Clearly there are books written about my ignorance on the subject, so hopefully others will chime in and avoid a pros and cons discussion...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 07-23-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I took a one day intro to drone class last week and am thinking of getting one. My primary interest in getting one would be to use it in combination with returning to search and rescue activities. Would love to hear from those who are drone pilots, particularly those who use them in search and rescue. It would be nice to avoid discussing problematic uses of drones which had been covered in a previous thread....
Seems like an interesting and noble cause but, unless you're already affiliated with a police department or some other public service venue, the barriers to entry will be significant. If you wish to work for a company that already provides these services, be prepared to earn minimum wage.

If you live in an area that's growing and wish to start your own business along these lines, you're going to need some kind of credentials or have contacts with LEO to get your first contracts.

Not trying to pop your bubble but, I have a little background in small business that works on the Federal side. State/Local work is very similar.

Ray
Old 07-23-2016, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for your thoughts, Ray. I'm retired so am neither in need of or looking to earn a living from this. I'd previously been a SAR volunteer and know people and the avenues to re-enter. I've also recently participated in citizens police academies in two local jurisdictions so I know people in law enforcement. The use of drones for SAR is in its infancy around these parts so it's a good time to get on-board. I was hoping to hear from other who either know of or use drones where it's a little more established.

Her's a better break-down of the differences that Harry asked about:

An RC plane is always controlled by a remote. Although there are several different types of remote-controlled planes, the most commonly used ones are made out of light-weight, cheap materials like cardboard and foam and can be constructed at anyone’s kitchen table. Because of this flimsy design, most remote-controlled planes have rough flights and are prone to unwanted gyrations. Some advanced remote-controlled plane models are sophisticated enough to be equipped with a video feed showing navigational data, but most are used solely for recreation and have few, if any, practical uses.

It’s true that a drone is very similar to both a helicopter and an RC plane in its operation. For example, it can hover just like a helicopter, and it can be controlled remotely like an RC plane. But a drone is more specialized both in the way it is controlled, and in its functions.

It is set off from traditional helicopters mostly in that it is an unmanned aircraft. It was first used by the military to perform jobs too dangerous or difficult for manned aircraft. Drones have an increasing number of uses ranging from performing military operations to inspecting pipelines to locating valuable resources. They are also very versatile depending on their needed function: they come in varying sizes, can handle various loads (lethal and non-lethal), and can be controlled remotely or, unlike RC planes, fly autonomously (independent of external control). Due to risky environments that drones are frequently sent into, they are often engineered to be expendable—lightweight and cost-efficient—while still being durable and high-tech enough to perform these difficult operations.

More recently, camera drones have been cleared for commercial and home use. Almost anyone can fly a camera drone to take breathtaking landscape pictures or even film complex scenes for a movie. In fact, these drones are becoming a hot commodity in the photography and film industry, because drones can take pictures from heights too low for helicopters and from heights impossible for anyone on foot to reach. Unlike helicopters and remote-controlled planes, drones are designed to have easy maneuverability while still providing professional results.
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 07-23-2016 at 08:08 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic