The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-22-2016, 08:38 PM

I still have a few tapes. ION makes a VHS that can transfer to your computer via USB. It does it in real time however, but you can use it as a standard VHS player.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:40 PM

At least they still make 8-tracks.

~Dave
~Music self-played is happiness self-made
Old 07-22-2016, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootch View Post
At least they still make 8-tracks.
What else would you use on your fully optioned '68 Corvette?
Old 07-23-2016, 04:21 AM

How do you set the clock on a VCR?
Old 07-23-2016, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by posternutbag View Post
Betamax is superior to VHS.
LOL...

I'm trying to remember, which was available on the market first, VHS or Beta? Pretty sure it was Betamax.

Ray
Old 07-23-2016, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
i've purged my huge collection of vcr tapes, and gotten ri of the players as well.

i transferred some to disk, but after dvd, the format really isn't so great.
My old VCR plugs into an auxiliary input to my Blue Ray player and the Blue Ray player goes into an input of my flat screen TV, which is 4K HD. I showed my grandkids "Jurassic Park" from a VHS tape and by the time each of these devices did their "upscaling," the picture looked very good. There was the occasional flutter every once in a while, but in general, my old VCR tapes work okay.

DVDs are so much more convenient and the DVD playback machines do not wear out. So, yes, DVD is certainly a better format. For me, I had a bunch of Disney movies and some concerts on VHS and I just didn't feel like throwing them away. Today, my grandkids can still enjoy the Disney movies.

- Glenn
Old 07-24-2016, 09:51 AM

The problem with most electronics technology is that it obsolesces. Just when you've spent a lot of money on one technology, something new and better comes along. I've become a luddite out of financial necessity.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
My old VCR plugs into an auxiliary input to my Blue Ray player and the Blue Ray player goes into an input of my flat screen TV, which is 4K HD. I showed my grandkids "Jurassic Park" from a VHS tape and by the time each of these devices did their "upscaling," the picture looked very good. There was the occasional flutter every once in a while, but in general, my old VCR tapes work okay.

DVDs are so much more convenient and the DVD playback machines do not wear out. So, yes, DVD is certainly a better format. For me, I had a bunch of Disney movies and some concerts on VHS and I just didn't feel like throwing them away. Today, my grandkids can still enjoy the Disney movies.

- Glenn
that's interesting. it must have been that my vcr players were inferior, or had dirty/worn out heads. even with the one i purchased to transfer tapes to digital (philllips i think), the quality wasn't that great.

do you think if you bypassed the blu-ray player the quality would be worse?
Old 07-24-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post

- Glenn
l'll have to try this... I have a BluRay player that does upscale to 4K...
Old 07-24-2016, 05:56 PM

I have a lot more problems with my dvd players freezing up or skipping. The vcr picture isn't as good but is more reliable. I've had this problem with the last two dvd players.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill austin View Post
I have a lot more problems with my dvd players freezing up or skipping. The vcr picture isn't as good but is more reliable. I've had this problem with the last two dvd players.
That's weird; I cannot recall any of the DVD players we had, having issues. And we were pretty early adopters. Usually it's the disc itself that may have a tiny scratch or speck of dirt; some players may be more sensitive to that.

Also some CDs/DVDs may have a tiny burr on the pilot in the center, or the pilot itself is off-center, which causes the disc to wobble slightly. Usually not a problem with players, but on computers with high-speed drives it can be an issue. I always check for burrs... they even made a tool for it at one time.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:46 AM

So, I guess my 16mm prints of movies are now out of date? I have had trouble finding bulbs for the projector.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill austin View Post
I rent a lot of movies from the local library.
It is not unusual that the disks need a good cleaning before they will play.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
So, I guess my 16mm prints of movies are now out of date? I have had trouble finding bulbs for the projector.
If you're the hacker/maker type you can retrofit LED bulbs... you can find 100 even 200 on eBay for cheap. You just need enough room for a heatsink and possibly fan to keep the LED cool....
Old 07-26-2016, 07:50 AM

I was still using my VCR to record occasional tv shows or car races until 2-3 years ago, then the old machine died. Only thing I could find to replace it was a VCR-DVD combo. Dubbing from tape to DVD is not particularly good - the tracking takes forever to line itself up correctly, but if the tape was recorded on the unit its fine.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele