The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-21-2016, 04:14 PM

At work, always a high power light and a knife. Some days a SAK and lately a Rick Hinderer XM-18. Took me a long time to be in the position to afford one.

Not at work, the addition of a Springfield XD Mod 2.

1997 Tacoma PM20
1998 Tacoma CC10
2001 Tacoma C5C
2004 Tacoma C1C
2004 Tacoma EMM30 "Forum Guitar"
Old 07-21-2016, 04:17 PM

A little street wisdom I learned from my LEO in-laws (no pun intended): if you EDC you never talk about it, nor exhibit it unless you intend to use it...
Old 07-21-2016, 04:18 PM

As a geek and a rabid multitool collector, I do indeed carry.

I alternate SAKs, Leatherman, SOG, Gerber, Victorinox and Bear Jaws multitools. Like guitars, I find it interesting how each multitool manufacturer seems to have a real lightbulb of an idea, and also an Achilles' Heel. Gerbers have those stubby Phillips screwdrivers, Bear Jaws blunts their Phillips tips, Victorinox blunts the tips of their pliers. Leatherman seems to hit all the bases well, and the original Wave is my favorite EDC.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:19 PM
Guest4562

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
A little street wisdom I learned from my LEO in-laws (no pun intended): if you EDC you never talk about it, nor exhibit it unless you intend to use it...
Exactly!
Old 07-21-2016, 04:46 PM

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...fYZbJ8gTWsZ7Iw

Issued it while in uniform some 40+ years ago and still keep it handy.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:55 PM

Was I the only one here that, when I read the subject line, I thought to myself, what the heck is it that begins with 'C'

H
Old 07-21-2016, 05:12 PM

We bought my Dad a Benchmade (forget the model) about a year before he passed away. He never even took it out of the box. It's got his initials on the blade (engraved at the factory outside Portland, OR) and I've always thought it would be nice to carry it. Then I consider how he liked to keep things pristine and I don't open the box.

Maybe one day.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I hate things in my pockets ..........edit..............
I also have the smallest wallet I could find.
Yeah, your friends mentioned that Faz .
Old 07-21-2016, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerguy View Post

Then there is locks. I can't tell you how many times I got cut and stabbed because a blade was not a locking blade. I really use my knives, I do not baby them, or clean them with a diaper. I treat them like a tool, and use them. If it gets destroyed in time I will just get another one. I don't obsess over them which I did for years but finally kicked that issue to the curb. I just use them.
My worst cut was during a jack-o-lantern carving with a swiss army knife. It folded on me.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:30 PM

I carry a small SOG...don't remember the model. Haven't carried it since I've been laid up with my ankle, though.

I also have a folding Spyderco police knife that I carry at the racetrack and have for almost 30 years. It comes in very handy as a track tool.

I had the TSA confiscate a small multitool I forgot and left in a carry on bag around 10 years ago. I make sure I leave my SOG at home when I fly and my big knife stays with my race gear in the series trailer during the season. TSA has never gotten me again.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.

Last edited by flaggerphil; 07-22-2016 at 12:17 AM.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypress Knee View Post
I accidentally went through a TSA checkpoint with a pocketknife, so I do not include that as part of my EDC.

After fifty years, this is still one of my primary tools. The original staghorn handle fell apart many years ago, and it has been replaced by bicycle handlebar tape.

[IMG][/IMG]

CK
I can help with that.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:06 PM

I've carried the same Buck 112 almost every day for over 20 years. Ever since I found it on the ground at a biker rally. The only exceptions were when I went on a cruise and was not allowed to carry on the ship. Have worn out several belt cases for it. And replaced the blade twice.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:27 AM

When I was in the Navy back in the '70s and early '80s I used to carry a relatively small dive knife in a sheath when I was in working uniform (dungarees). There were those who didn't like me carrying it because it didn't fold and shortly before I was medically retired I was banned from carrying it.

I also had a large dive knife that I used for, well, diving, which I did a lot of in the Philippines, Hawaii, and Florida.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:59 AM
Guest 1928

I grew up on a farm, and still consider myself a farmer since we've retained the land in the family. I don't live there now though. So, I've carried a knife of some sort daily since about the 6th grade. No, it wasn't a problem then. All boys carried knives without issue. I'd rather go without pants than a pocket knife, which is just one reason I hate to fly. I even have a few spares scattered around in my truck and computer bag in case I ever lose my main knife or forget to put it in my pocket before leaving the house.

My two main knives are a Benchmade Switchback and Victorinox Signature Lite. I've bought a number of those little Victorinox knives at shows for $5 or so and given them as gifts. (They're bought by the pound or bucket at government salvage auctions, mostly TSA in origin.) I have a number of other knives, including various Benchmade manual and automatic knives, but that Switchback has been a favorite for a long time. Other daily carry items originate in Springfield, Hartford, or Austria.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:36 AM

I've been a follower of Gibbs' Rule #9 since long before there was a Gibbs....

I essentially always have some sort of knife on me.

At work, (I'm a cop) I have two. A very old Cold Steel Recon 1, the pre-lawsuit Axis-lock model that they borrowed from another firm without permission.

That's for general cutting chores.

I also have a K-bar "TDI" "last-ditch" fixed blade knife for more specific cutting chores...

I usually carry the recon everywhere I go. If I'm in VERY polite company, like Xmas parties... I will take a "gentleman's" knife like my little Kershaw "Centofante" or my Spyderco Dragonfly.

Somebody always over-wraps a present or two.

Being a cop, I usually have a gun as well... My off-duty pistol is a Glock 27, the little "Baby Glock" in .40 S&W.

As to those who express dismay about going armed even in normal situations, let me point out that no one has developed a functional crystal ball, and that anything can happen at any time.
And as the late Bill Jordan said... "You don't need a gun very often, but when you do, you need one real bad."

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic