The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-21-2016, 09:13 AM

Case amber teardrop for me.

George
Old 07-21-2016, 09:21 AM

I have a pocket knife with me most of the time. The current one is a SOG Flash II in green with open assist and partially serrated blade. Legal for carry at work, and I mainly use it to cut up my apple at break time! Biting into a whole apple annoys my bottom teeth.
Yes, I end up using my knife for all sorts of other things besides apples.
Like digging out: staples stuck in the stapler; paper jammed in the adding machine; opening potato chip bags; etc.
Thankfully, I haven't had to use it as personal protection. For me, it's a useful tool, fortunately not a weapon.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
Holy cow...where do you guys live that you feel you have to carry around that kind of self-protection? I went to dinner with my daughter and her family the other day, and her husband comes out of the house packing a 9mm. We're going to a steakhouse in Columbus. Really? You've to got pack heat for that?
Suzanna Hupp thinks so.....

Taylor 514ce FLTD, Sitka/Tasmanian Blackwood from Ted at LA Guitar Sales
Taylor 618e 1st Edition, Sitka/maple (2015)
Taylor 814ce, Sitka/Rosewood (2014)
Taylor 526ce, all Mahogany (2014)
Baby Taylor, mahogany (2014)
Taylor 210ce (2014) (on consignment)
PRS S2 Custom semi-hollow body
Fender Blacktop Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro 120th
Gibson SG Classic 120th
Old 07-21-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
"Cottaging" ? Really ?

I can only guess that it MUST have a different meaning in the USA !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooh View Post
Canada.

Mine isn't too far off the beaten track, but many I have visited are. Mine is adjacent to lots of fairly wild land, on a very large lake, lots of hazards, animals, cliffs, heat of summer and cold of winter. It's also on the Bruce Trail which we hike a lot.
Google will explain ya why probably best not to say that in UK. It's not exactly a reference to healthy outdoor pursuits ...
Old 07-21-2016, 09:44 AM

Location: Nowhere man please listen you don't know what you're missing

Quote:
Holy cow...where do you guys live that you feel you have to carry around that kind of self-protection? I went to dinner with my daughter and her family the other day, and her husband comes out of the house packing a 9mm. We're going to a steakhouse in Columbus. Really? You've to got pack heat for that?
Your son in law is a coward who fears the steer, partner!
Old 07-21-2016, 09:53 AM
Guest4562

Quote:
This is why

Old 07-21-2016, 10:49 AM

Apart from a nail clipper on my key ring, I keep no "tools" on my person.
All my tools are in my tool box.

If something needs repair when I'm away from my tool box, I fix it with my wallet
Old 07-21-2016, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

I hate things in my pockets and I hate belt carrying phones/knives/etc.

I have nice multi-tools and multi-function knives and I have them in my desk, car, etc. I never carry because I like my pockets empty. I also have the smallest wallet I could find.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 07-21-2016, 12:16 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Right now I carry a Victorinox Swiss Army Tinker model but in black.

Small enough and nothing fancy but my sons gave it to me when they were young. I need the screw drivers and awl and tweezers (to take out splinters) and the thing doesn't discolor because of the cheezy chrome finish. In my backpack/briefcase I carry a Marine-issue Gerber.

Where I grew up in the gentle rural South, if you were having trouble opening a box you'd quickly find yourself surrounded by gentlemen gently smiling and offering their pocketknives. A gentleman simply didn't go about without a proper gentleman's pocketknife. It would be 2-3 inches long and would typically have two blades and a bone handle. Many gentlemen carried them in their watch pockets once watches migrated to the wrists.

Now, I do have a proper Case with a bone handle that my dad gave me that would be much better for a proper Southern gentleman. In fact, my mom gave me dad's nice Böker Tree Brand classic gentleman's pocketknife after he died, along with his sharpening stones. I should use one of these.

I'm just afraid I'd get lonely without my tools.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-21-2016, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYRN View Post
Every Day Carry

Are you not allowed a pocket knife, of any length?
here I thought EDC stood for Emergency Defense Control

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 07-21-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Right now I carry a Victorinox Swiss Army Tinker model but in black.

Small enough and nothing fancy but my sons gave it to me when they were young. I need the screw drivers and awl and tweezers (to take out splinters) and the thing doesn't discolor because of the cheezy chrome finish. In my backpack/briefcase I carry a Marine-issue Gerber.

Where I grew up in the gentle rural South, if you were having trouble opening a box you'd quickly find yourself surrounded by gentlemen gently smiling and offering their pocketknives. A gentleman simply didn't go about without a proper gentleman's pocketknife. It would be 2-3 inches long and would typically have two blades and a bone handle. Many gentlemen carried them in their watch pockets once watches migrated to the wrists.

Now, I do have a proper Case with a bone handle that my dad gave me that would be much better for a proper Southern gentleman. In fact, my mom gave me dad's nice Böker Tree Brand classic gentleman's pocketknife after he died, along with his sharpening stones. I should use one of these.

I'm just afraid I'd get lonely without my tools.

Bob
I have something similar but different: SAK Trekker NS

Old 07-21-2016, 12:59 PM

BTW...those can openers on SAK's work!!! I was once on a boys weekend getaway where a bunch of us guys went to this beach house to drink beer, eat, play poker, and etc. One of the guys that knows how to cook was trying to open this giant can of tomatoes but all they had was an automatic can opener and it just couldn't hold the can due to the weight. Well I pulled out my SAK and said I can try with this (before this I never used the can opener before). Once I figured out how it works I had that thing open in a few minutes.
Old 07-21-2016, 01:00 PM

While I don't own a Case I have to admit they make some very nice looking knives. I just have certain preferences that keeps me from ever getting a case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Gopher View Post
Case amber teardrop for me.

Old 07-21-2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerguy View Post
While I don't own a Case I have to admit they make some very nice looking knives. I just have certain preferences that keeps me from ever getting a case.
Country of origin?
Old 07-21-2016, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
Country of origin?
Not at all. I am not one of those people that are all worried if something is made in the USA or China or even Mexico.

One of the things I have come to prefer is one-handed-opening. The reason for this is a multiple; basically events in my life. For instance, I had one of those famous Buck knives and that was my EDC. I was in a situation where I needed it, but had to hold whatever it was with the other-hand. So I tried to one-hand-open it; to do this I got a firm grip on the blade and flicked down using the weight of the handle as momentum to force it open. It worked BUT it also turned in the process and stabbed my hand.

The other common occurrence is I prefer my nails to be short, very short. Sometimes I cut them too short. Once I do this it's very painful to open a blade where a fingernail is absolutely needed. I had tools in my first SAK where I couldn't open with my nails for at least the first week of having it.

Then there are other things I am not thinking about.

Then there is locks. I can't tell you how many times I got cut and stabbed because a blade was not a locking blade. I really use my knives, I do not baby them, or clean them with a diaper. I treat them like a tool, and use them. If it gets destroyed in time I will just get another one. I don't obsess over them which I did for years but finally kicked that issue to the curb. I just use them.

So I found my perfect knife in my SAK Trekker for it not only has the things I want but also by design it's better used for lefties which any lefty will know is VERY VERY VERY rare for us to have something ideally for us.

The reason it's ideal for lefties is how the linear lock is positioned. If you research the knife you will find a lot of references to this. So I strongly recommend any lefty that wants a one-handed-folder with a locking blade, get the SAK Trekker.

On my right-side is my Leatherman Skeletool for I could use a tool that gives me as close to a screwdriver as it can plus it comes with pliers. Could I get by just with that? Sure, but I really like a normal folder too so I have the best of both worlds.

I also still own the original Leatherman Wave which for well over a decade I had on my hip, but it was causing back-issues and now it sits in my backpack with all my other tech gear.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic