The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-20-2016, 08:39 PM

A variety of Buck, Swiss Army, Gerber, or Spyderco knives, plus a Fox whistle, guitar picks, etc.

If I'm fishing, hiking, cottaging, I'll also carry a small flashlight, a second knife (either a folder or a small sheath knife), gloves, rope...
Old 07-20-2016, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
Ever heard of cause and effect?
Whadya mean, Phil?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2016, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
What the heck does EDC stand for?

Around here we have CHL, and that strictly means hangun only.
Every Day Carry

Are you not allowed a pocket knife, of any length?
Old 07-20-2016, 10:29 PM
Charter Member

Around town, I have a small 3-blade Buck that approximates the Old Timer I lost somewhere along the way...

I have one of the original Leatherman tools in my shoulder bag, which is with me 90+% of the time I'm out of the house...

If I'm going on the road for any length of time, I'll switch out the little Buck ofr a single-blade folding knife with a bit more heft and length to the blade... I have an old wood-handled Gerber that's a favorite, along with a Spyderco and a Kershaw or two...

I do have a small "pocket" multi-tool from Snap-On that's a nifty little thing; just haven't figured out exactly "where?" in the whole process it may belong...

I would guess that I have had a knife in my pocket (at all times) since I was about 12 or so... you just never know when a blade will come in handy!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 07-21-2016, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooh View Post
A variety of Buck, Swiss Army, Gerber, or Spyderco knives, plus a Fox whistle, guitar picks, etc.

If I'm fishing, hiking, cottaging, I'll also carry a small flashlight, a second knife (either a folder or a small sheath knife), gloves, rope...
"Cottaging" ? Really ?

I can only guess that it MUST have a different meaning in the USA !
Old 07-21-2016, 05:20 AM
Guest4562

I like to have my multi-tool with me at all times. However, since I have moved to my present community I do not take my weapon routinely, but this is probably something I should rectify. As my instructor said in my Concealed Carry course, "The criminal will decide the time and the place."
Old 07-21-2016, 05:38 AM

Holy cow...where do you guys live that you feel you have to carry around that kind of self-protection? I went to dinner with my daughter and her family the other day, and her husband comes out of the house packing a 9mm. We're going to a steakhouse in Columbus. Really? You've to got pack heat for that?
Old 07-21-2016, 05:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
Holy cow...where do you guys live that you feel you have to carry around that kind of self-protection? I went to dinner with my daughter and her family the other day, and her husband comes out of the house packing a 9mm. We're going to a steakhouse in Columbus. Really? You've to got pack heat for that?

I don't really think i need a knife either, but all sorts of uses arise that you don't anticipate.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
"Cottaging" ? Really ?

I can only guess that it MUST have a different meaning in the USA !
Canada.

Mine isn't too far off the beaten track, but many I have visited are. Mine is adjacent to lots of fairly wild land, on a very large lake, lots of hazards, animals, cliffs, heat of summer and cold of winter. It's also on the Bruce Trail which we hike a lot.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYRN View Post
Every Day Carry

Are you not allowed a pocket knife, of any length?
They actually have a name for having a pocket knife, in your pocket?
Isn't that why it is called a pocket knife?
We start carrying knives in our pockets as soon as we can wear pants with pockets.
This is Oregon, the last outpost on the frontier.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

I carry an old Boy Scout pocket knife most of the time. It has nothing to do with protection; it's a tool for various needs. In the office, I use one of the parts of the knife for pulling staples. The knife blade comes in handy for all kinds of things.

I do not take this knife to the airport.

- Glenn
Old 07-21-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
I don't really think i need a knife either, but all sorts of uses arise that you don't anticipate.
Most recently in Seaside Oregon, the table next to us had 2 small children fighting over the fact that the elephant ear they were about to share wouldn't be divided equally. I pulled out the knife and handed it to the Mom. She immediately murdered both of them... Nah. She cut it cleanly in half and asked what model it was and how expensive it was

A cutting blade is very very very useful in life. I have no intention of ever getting in a knife fight. Especially after hearing an expert on a show like "Deadliest Warrior" (which uses computer projections to investigate cool ideas like "Genghis Kahn or Hannibal, who would win?") say that no matter how much training you have you WILL get cut. BADLY. Possibly to a bleeding out level. And that's for the so called "winner"

Someone pulls a kinfe on you? If they look obese run. If they don't, give them your wallet
Old 07-21-2016, 09:06 AM

Yes on both counts........
Epiphone IBG J45
Yamaha FS800
Guild Pilot Bass
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior Bass
Recording King Dirty 30's Mando
Frankensquier P Bass
Squier Bullet Telecaster
Old 07-21-2016, 09:11 AM

Hey, Riverwolf...I had to look up EDC myself. Apparently, it is an official "thing" and has expanded in meaning to include ALL the stuff you carry with you daily, not just knives and pocket tools. I remain a luddite and will probably continue to call it "stuff in my pockets."

Except, of course, most of the time these items are NOT in my pockets, but knocking around in various drawers at home and work.

Me, I have about 5 or 6 Swiss Army knives of assorted sizes, and another 3 or 4 off-brand imitators, all but two of which were gifts through the years. I also have my grandfather's o-o-old Kabar pocket knife (main blade worn a bit from many sharpenings) -- which I DO carry on occasion. Like Glennwillow, I also have what I THINK was my original boy scout knife from about 1958 or thereabouts (I was a cub scout but proudly owned the "big kid" knife). And two heavy, largish folding tool thingies with serious pliers, screwdrivers, knife blades, etc. And about 4 or 5 tiny 3-blade ("safety" knife, fingernail file, lightweight screwdriver-cum-cap-lifter) things with keychains that were ad-gimmicks given to my dad by some local hardware or tire company in Waco about a zillion years back; used to use one of these for my own keys before the blade thing made them a no-go when I traveled on planes for business. Like I say, few of these weapons ever make it into my pocket nowadays.

Cheers,

Dirk
Old 07-21-2016, 09:12 AM

My EDC is usually a Strider SJ75 "Baby Huey" or a Marfione Custom Anax.
I always have a couple "junkers" and a pry bar in the car, just in case.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic